surgery: cyst/calcium deposit/bone fragment and scar tissue removal

As some of you know, I was in a terrible car accident 4.5 years ago.

After complaining for about 3 years, I’m finally getting surgery to remove this shit.

There is some sort of abnormal growth in my elbow that is being removed along with scar tissue. I was told that either it is a cyst, a calcium deposit, or bone fragment by different doctors :bloated:. Its about the size of a small pepple/rock and really aggravates me at times, which also contributed to the nerve damage I have in the same elbow down to my wrist.

I was told the operation is fairly minor and quick, but I was wondering if anyone here has had a similar operation on their joints.

Just wondering what to expect after a surgery like this and what not. Like if people have torn their stitches from use of the joint after surgery, what kind of pain and relief you’ve gotten, and any other helpful information.

Please chime in if you have experience with a surgery of injury like this!!!

BTW, I fucking hate surgery :suicide:

Thanks guys.

I had a cyst removed at the base of my spine about 2 years ago (the doctor actually told me there was a 2% chance of paralyzation from the surgery). They put me out completely and I dint feel a thing after surgery except when putting pressure on the area (exercises that require you to lay on your back, sit ups, bench press etc). I never had a problem with torn stitches but that may have just been the nature of the area.

If its going to be a general anesthesia, don’t worry about a thing and just go with the flow.

Did they tell you anything about packing and unpacking the wound to drain fluid???

had to get my hand fixed this year …broke my pointerfinger and joint snowboarding about 5 years ago, never got it fixed so the bone and nerve grew wrong … it would kill so bad on cold days… they trim’’'ed the bone and fixed the nerve… getting knocked out is werid… the pain pills mad me feel so messed up… so I would suggest eat a big meal before taking your drugs… also on the scare put coco butter to help it heal…

Well I’ve had surgery before, I broke my left forearm in 6 spots, compound fracture (bone came out of skin), dislocated the elbow, dislocated shoulder, tendon, ligament, and nerve damage on the shoulder and elbow/forearm.

A rod was put in from the elbow to shoulder, stainless plate on the forearm with 7 screws to hold it together.

I’ve been on pain meds for about 4 years (oxycontin and lortab for the most part) now, so I’m not worried about the drugs.

The operation is on the elbow to remove the foreign matter and scar tissue.

I’m more worried about how easily stitches can be torn, since its on the elbow and I really can’t afford to take time off from work, and also if my range of motion is going to be extremely limited.

Also, I was told not eat or drink anything within 24 hours of surgery (just in case I get sick from the anesthesia and choke).

edit: I’m more so interested in people that have had minor surgery on joints and how long they took it easy with stitches still in, and wondering how the range of motion would be.

UPDATE:

Well I just got back from my surgery just about an hour or so ago.

The surgery went very well, and the foreign matter that was removed from my elbow, was three pieces of glass, that have been there for almost 5 years!

It boggles my mind that the surgeons didn’t see this stuff in my elbow during the initial surgery.

Hospital drugs are awesome by the way, lol.

HOLY FUCK! :jawdrop:

inb4malpracticelawsuit

Every time I complained and got an xray, they told me it was nothing to worry about since it didn’t show up.

Well, glass is transparant and doesn’t show up obviously.

I hate some of these doctors, because you complain of pain and shit and they think you’re there just trying to get drugs, then you have something like this left in your body.

Not uncommon at all, nor would it be likely that you could sue.

Spend some time in an OR.

The fact that they missed small glass fragments is not as uncommon as you would think. It would be the doctor that looked at you after the accident that you should be upset with.