Suspension advice

I’m about to buy shocks and springs for the Z and I need some help deciding which ones to get. I’m deciding between Tokico HP shocks and KYB GR-2 shocks. Does anyone have any experience with one or another? I’m buying lowering springs as well( eBay springs) that will lower the ride height 1.5" or so.

Both are similar in performance. Go with whatever has the best service options in the US and best warranty. I think Koni singles still have a lifetime warranty, maybe Tokico and KYB do something similar.

I can’t count the amount of times I’ve seen blown tokico blues and illuminas within 30k of new on a lowered car.

I’d go with the kyb’s if it were up to those two

I read some reviews online and there are more people who say they blow easy. I think I’m going with the KYB shocks.

Whats the consensus on “eBay” springs? I’m considering these

ebay springs are gonna be pretty poor, i wouldnt be suprised if every spring has a different spring rate. i wouldn’t cheap out, seeing as you should be able to get decent springs for 150-200 bucks.

Have you thought about Bilsteins?

I’m checking them out right now.

H&R and Bilsteins is a good choice :nod

Yeah go with the bilsteins, they are amazeing shocks, my friend had the Bilstein HD’s in his Z31 and even when they were blown (they had about 100kmi on them before they blew) they were still stiffer than my kyb’s brand new

and dont you dare go with ebay springs… if you can… get the Tein S-tech springs…

Bilstein’s are gonna be a bit out of my price range. I still have a LOT of other suspension components to replace. I think I’m going to buy the KYB GR-2 shocks and Tein S-Tech Springs. My only question is do the shocks have to be adjustable if you’re using lowering springs or can I use non-adjustable shocks with lowering springs?

i dont know how the s-techs work on other cars, but i know on altimas and e46 m3’s they are shit because the have an aggressive drop and they aren’t stiff enough to counter that, just saying you might want to look into them more to see if they just fucked up on a few cars or if they’re mismatched for your car too…

i had tokicos on my old cobra and it was nice, id say go for them

Think that’s what on my Supra.

i had s-techs on my mr2 before the buddy club coilovers. and i liked them, they weren’t stiff enough for me, but if you like a comfortable ride they gave it. i like to feel a piece of paper under my tire though. lol

I have tein S-Techs on my G20, they are pretty siff, but not back breaking, and they are paired with KYBs…

Spring controls 90% of driving comfort on a suspension. The shocks we’re talking about really only do anything on rebound (the upstroke after they are compressed) which wont have a huge effect on comfort unless they are completely blown and dead.

A street shock application also wont really contribute to suspension “stiffness” unless its valved way too high for its own good and the spring.

In other words, get a durable shock that wont blow and wont need rebuilding every year like a lot of shitty Chinese ebay stuff. The spring you put on it is the most important factor of comfort.

Junk which shouldnt surprise any one when the materials are worth more then the selling price. If you want it low for appearence and dont care about how the car drives at all the will work until they break.

I’m ordering the Tein S-Techs and most likely the KYB GR-2’s.

Thanks for the help guys

What are you getting them for I might be able to get you a better deal. Pm me.

Alright, I’m a bit confused right now… Do I need adjustable camber arms if I’m lowering with Eibachs and KYB’s? Its a .08" drop and I thought all I needed to correct the camber was a 300 degree camber kit made specifically for the Eibachs. Can anyone shed some light on this?