Suspension clunk, opinions appreciated *video*

https://youtu.be/OaKl6Pd1qQU

With this nice weather, Ive been rolling deep with the windows down. Now I hear this clunking when I back out of my driveway, or the shitty road part of elmwood by wilson farms/lancaster.

I can jump up and down all day and it doesnt make a noise, its more of a side to side deal and harsh bumps in the road.

All bolts are tight, ball joints were done 15k miles ago, sway bar links done last July.

Opinions?

Have you pulled the wheel off to have a look? My wife’s Integra had a bad upper control arm that would make noise on side to side situations. It wasn’t the same kind of pinging though that the video shows, more so clunking. Any movement in the wheel with the car on the ground or lifted?

That’s mesed up. Hit it three times really hard with a 15 lb. sledgehammer right on the edge of the wheel, take a video, and I may be able to diagnose the problem. Really curious what this is.

common for the brake pads to move around on the benz’s scott. check those.
edit: watched the video lol. that is one hell of a noise. strut mounts?

Ill be jacking the car up tomorrow and taking off the rim to try and isolate the noise.

For how little the wheel moves, it sure makes a shit ton of noise.

Keep the wheel on and move it while you are under the car looking for where the play is. The wheel gives you leverage most of the time. This is always how I diagnose these things. Much easier with two people though. I’d look for a bad control arm bushing or tie rod, strut mount is a good guess too.

Does it have brake shields? Ive had those rattle around before

How many dicks do you have in the glovebox?

holy shit, cant believe how much noise it actually makes. if you need a hand in figuring it out let me know sir

that seems like way too much noise to be an upper control arm…

warn out bushing? or maybe a broken sway bar? dust shield

Check/compare movement with tire under load as well as with it jacked up.

Attempt to remove the wheel using a shot gun to blast off the lug nuts and let me know what you find.

I think they call that “The Texas Tire Change”

Upon further investigation I believe its the right side lower control arm. There is slight play side to side of the rotor, and if I bang on the tire towards the front - no sound. If I bang where I did in the video, its the sound. So while hitting it like I did in the video, I held onto the lower control arm and sure enough its banging around. Im not sure if its the bushing or joint, but I think I’ll just replace the whole arm.

Part it out.

LOL seems logical. But yeah I’d just replace the whole arm so you won’t have to worry about it anymore.

I think it’s the wheel hitting the fender lip. Lower it some more.

After watching the video my thought is:

I doubt it’s a ball joint or really any “worn” suspension component. With your car’s whole weight on it, that stuff loads up with a lot of force. Even if it’s sloppy as hell, I don’t think that banging on it while it’s on the ground will allow it to move.

The amount of force you’re actually transmitting to the wheel is so slight, you’re looking for something that isn’t far from it’s equilibrium point and wont have a lot of force on it while the car is weighted. I’d say brake shield, or some type of similar bracket. To test to see if it’s a brake pad, perform the same test with someone stepping hard on the brakes.

If I put tension on the LCA, while banging on the wheel, the sound goes away. If I just hold the LCA while banging, I can feel it jostling around slightly.

edit: already ordered the LCA, Ill try to get it in by the end of the week.