What do you think is wrong with my car?

I have this posted on a couple G8 boards, but I figured I would see what you guys though too.

I have a popping, clucking whatever you want to call it coming from drivers side suspension. I have checked everything I can think of. Caliper isn’t loose, the cradle seems to be tight, I took the control arm out of the spindle and the joints seemed tight.

Only happens when I am on the brakes. Does not happen over bumps without brakes being applied.

If I start in reverse and hit the brakes it pops, then if I go forward and brake it pops back. I can go back and forth like this. I can “powerbrake” it in forward and reverse and it happens. It is a loud popping sound and I can feel it in the floorboard/pedal.

I have an appointment Friday at the dealership but I am out of warranty and want to fix it myself. The only problem is I am out of bumper to bumper warranty, and I dont want the dealer to just order parts and be stuck for parts that dont fix the problem.

I went to my mechanic today and showed him the sound. We put it on the lift and he couldn’t find anything that stuck out to him that was wrong. We torqued all the cradle bolts and any other bolts to make sure everything was tight. I am going to pull off the plastic shroud under the front bumper that covers a few more things and see if I can find anything. Maybe look for a crack in the subframe?

You can see/hear it the best at the end of the videos

Videos:

youtu.be/GrfA0YdmJrE

youtu.be/ExtGnuAn7Zs

Rolling backword and forward countless times FTW!! Seriously tho no clue whats wrong

Ummm. your wheel just shifted forward and backwards about 2 inches under load there.

I dont think thats normal, unless you have some soft bushings. Thats alot of movement I think

and thats very metallic sounding, metal on metal. So it may help narrow it down.

I dont know how the front suspension is designed on those. so I would have to see it to get a better idea. But that movement forward and backwards in the wheelbase on and off load looks like alot.

take a video of the other side and compare the amount of movement on the wheel/spindle.

To me it looks like a lower control arm mount or something is either broken, very loose, or something like that. something down there is allowing the bottom of the spindle to move an awful lot (caster angle).

This is the front suspension setup.

youtu.be/2VHwxFHPWhM

I agree it is moving a lot, and I am going to check the other side and see if it is the same on the pass. side. Doesnt mean the pass side bushings arent shot as well. No mounts are broken or have anything visually wrong with them.

Lower cntrl ARM bushings , replaced a few sets for this . Get the poly bushing kit and the car will ride better and handle better

^This. Think there is a TSB for control arm issues with those vehicles. Check out this thread:

http://forum.grrrr8.net/archive/index.php/t-25027.html

Not a t.s.b really just a unnoted issue lol

The LCA’s were replaced one under warranty (TSB not a recall) in 2009 by the original owner, but there have been revisions to the replacement arms since them (most recently in late 2011) because the replacements suck ass too.

This does not sound like all the other LCA issues I have read about. They all make noise when driving over bumps, my noise only happens when on the brakes hard.

It’s the bushing dude , when ya on brake either way its chucking around in bushing . Depends on what ARM it is and how its gonna present itself

I hope so, they are easy to replace and not too expensive either.

Your buddy Justin still work at Otto?

Nah man , another friend is the service manager at whalen in Greenwich n.y though

Def bought a lemon. Get rid of it and buy another typhoon.

That spokes-girl for Whalen is kinda weird looking but would still smash.

I’ll give ya slowmarro for it !!! As well as make Sbardy give ya a handy a day .

Check your pads. I had a broken inside pad on the first car I ever had and made that exact same mystery noise.

^ I would pull the calipers and check the pads just to be sure. Doesn’t take that long and you might as well check to make sure. Like previously posted there are known issues with the LCAs. I would check to see if there are any new PIs, but GMs dumpy service info system is down.

But the wheel won’t move in the wheelwell if it WAS a pad

I had the caliper off the other day to check everything. Pads were fine and caliper bracket and caliper were tight. Everything checked out brake-wise

had a similar problem and sound. turned out to be a faulty/dirty abs ring and or sensor that was causing it to semi lock the wheel at low speed with the same clicking and grinding.