Suzuki DR-Z400SM

Whats the general opinion on this bike. Im in the market for an on/offroad bike. Where I live, I can access my neighbors trails, track, and I have access to alot more. I want to be able to commute with it as well.

Pretty cool video, I think this would be totally badass. I was thinking about getting a dirtbike or quad, but I figured this could work for both purposes.

Let me know what your thoughts are. Worth the buy?

great learner bike I raced one for a year. Slow heavy and ugh slow.
I miss the hell out of my KTM450SMR so so nimble and easy to toss around.
I could bottom out the DRZ with ease, not so much the ktm. I had a street title for it to.
aprilia and huskey make street versions. as alot of out of state people just street there crf / YZF / KXF/ ect
On the other hand the DRZ is pretty much bullet proof.
FYI I weigh 138 lbs.
DRZ

KTM

No firsthand experience but everything I read says the ktm is much better fwiw.

When you can ride from work, to the track and ride, then ride it home and not need to change your oil in your KTM, call me. lol

Want to ride mine? Half a dozen of us local know them inside and out. I’m having Cloned Valves CNC’d and revalving a bunch this off season. Cams, exhaust and so on done to mine. Not gonna go chase street bikes down over 80mph on the highway, but you’ll leave them in the dust crossing front yards in traffic, and jumping whatever you can find in the medians. I’ve put 50+ mile commutes in omw to work and only crossed roads. I’ve got pictures of mine on the lifts at the top of Kissing Bridge. I’ve got 18/21" dirt wheels to swap onto it with knobbies. What else do you want to know?

I’ll take an SMR over a DRZ anyday.

I don’t follow the oil change thing I guess, is it frequent oil change intervals?

I know it wasn’t directed at me, but I’d love to ride one, maybe this summer we could meet up and you could take my z1000 and I ride yours for a short street cruise?

The only bike I have every owned was a Suzuki GS500. I’m not looking for a high maintenance bike and I certainly don’t need something high end. I’m going to beat on it in the trails, ride it to work and wherever else I want to and then park it in my driveway under a cover.

To me, KTM screams high maintenance. Correct me if I’m wrong, but my local dealer sells ducati and KTM, that scares me. I don’t know much about either of these 2 bikes, but I know this is the type of bike I am interested in.

BTW Spam, post up the pictures!!! You cant just tease me like that…

I’m 5’6" and I weight 185 lbs. Is this bike a good size for me?

Just get a DRZ and STFU.

Doesn’t yamaha make some good dual purpose bikes for pretty cheap?

LOL as much as I love your answer and will probably end up doing that, I’m just looking for opinions before I make a move on one. Anything I need to know about before buying one?

Heh. I too have been trolling CL for DRZs and the like…

I think it would be fun to have one that I can commute on. I dropped my FZR crossing the “tracks” near Lincoln park/Field once on the way to work and it sucked. Still shaved a minute or 3 from my 12 minute commute.

RFS (racing four stroke) oil change interval is in hours, drz is thousand miles if you’re anal, and 3k if you’re reading the book. As far as trying it out, anytime… You’re not going to do anthing to it I haven’t, including flipping it end over end down a highway, picking it up and riding away without any damage to speak of.

As I said before they are pretty bullet proof. I raced a whole season and never touched the valves :rofl:

checked them new, didn’t even check again til last year… (it’s an '05), swapped to E cams and still in spec… after how many hours did you have to check them on your KTM?

lol uuummmmmm. I changed oil & filter every 3 hours and checked valves every 6…
I was anal about everything on the bikes and still am. Totally unnecessary