Suzuki/Yamaha Valve Shim Tool

I recently checked the valve specs on my 93’ katana 600 and need to change out a few of the shims. I was curious if anybody had a shim tool and would be willing to let me borrow it for a few days. If so, I would greatly appreciate it. Please PM me if you do. I’ll be calling around tomorrow to a few of the motorcycle dealers to see if they sell them… I would like to have my bike up and running for Port Dover this weekend :slight_smile:

wtf is a shim tool? You need feeler gauges? its just a shim under bucket set up, measure do the math get the right shims assemble double check and go.

http://www.motionpro.com/images/items/08-0017.jpg

it is a shim under bucket setup. i read the manual for my bike and it said i needed the tool shown above to remove the shims without having to remove the camshafts and chain. i have a feeler gauge and took down all my measurements. that’s how i know 5 of my valves are out of spec. i’m trying to avoid having to remove the camshafts and chain if possible.

I have worked on bikes my whole life and have NEVER used one of those. Hell I can’t even say I have seen one.
Good luck finding that. just pop the cams out quick, its pretty simple…

This is the first time I’m doing a shim type valve adjustment so I’m a little lost. I’m used to the type where you adjust the nut to change the clearances. I have no problem removing the cams, but I’m worried about getting them timed back up correctly. Specially since I have to remove the cams from the chain in the middle of the motor. Is that tough to do?

http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/katana/trinc/images/coveroff.jpg
this is my bike motor, but the nut style valve adjustment

are you screw and lock nut or shim under bucket?
If your screw and lock nut its stupid easy. find the size you need, and loosen the jam nut tighten it up or loosen what ever you need to do.
Just remember when to tighten that jam nut its going to tighten the clearance up so you have to compensate for that. when the jam nut is tight you want the pressure on the feeler gauge to feel like your pulling scotch tape.

Also make sure your motor is at TDC so the lobes aren’t putting pressure on the valve’s.

I am shim under bucket. I was just using that pic as reference. Screw and lock nut it stupid easy and they changed that on my bike in 98+. I put the motor at TDC. I will be checking my clearances again today and then tearing into the timing. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Agghhh I was really confused lol If you need any help shoot me a PM. I’m a certified yamaha /suzuki blah blah text but I usually keep to myself on here seeing as I’m at least an hour from 95% of the board lol

Thanks again for your help

Just a tip - once you have everything put back together, turn the motor over by hand and make sure you watch all the valves go up and down a few times.

you can bend a vlave is if try to start it and you missed something.