Synchromesh

i’ve got a tranny that grinds into second.
i was told its not that bad, but running synchromesh through the tranny would help alot, either that or some auto tranny fluid…

any ideas?

anyone here used synchromesh or other good tranny fluids?
Similar problems and results?
What kind of ftranny fluid do you recomend in general?

Bryan

use lucas tranny fix.

its really good and when i used it my tranny ran sooo smoothly.

my opinion anyways

I switched to Redline MT90 and my tranny has been good, for what it’s worth.

check the tranny mount too, and rear subframe bushings … it might be flexing the driveline a bit… I’ve heard s12 guys complain about just a bad tranny mount alone causing grind

^^^
indeed we do
I’m getting a solit transmount next week hopefully

I’ve run it for over 2 years without problems, It’s a little bit on the thin side for tranny fluid, but it was cheap to buy. Will be trying something different next time, royal purple or mt90, for no real reason, just to try 'em out.

Lucas tranny fix is awesome! It actualy works!

oh yea… i just love fluids that mask noises and problems.

dont use that lucas shit.

replace ur slave and master re bleed and see what happens.

change the fluid for a royal purple 75/140 max gear.

and call it a day

GT

put in gm syncromesh tranny oil if you know what your doing

dont use any of that other shit

yo greg

i have the royal purple shit and it says that it meets GL4 and GL5 requirements, there was a thread on here how either GL4 or GL5 is bad for your synchros if theyr brass or something, so what should we all be looking for on these specs since you know about it…

(lol sorry i felt liek sounding gangstarrr)

^^^ i was wondering the same thing when i bought my Royal Purple… also, GT, why do you recommend the 75/140? i’m curious because i opted for the 75/90 (as i was previously using Castrol Syntec 75/90 with no ill effects).

Ok, this is just my opinion, and you can all disagree with it,

but Royal Purple, redline, etc etc. are all synthetics and very low drag. They are built to be essentially frictionless.

So yeah, you find more power, and everything works a bit better. But you get no cushion, no protection against hard engagements.

Either way, if your synchro is already crunching, it’s too late for any chemical fix.

And as for worn tranny mounts causing grinding, I fail to see how that can happen. As soon as you clutch in, you unhook the driveline. Any crunching that happens is inside your tranny.

The problem with S12 mounts isn’t the tranny mount (although most are broken anyway). The problem is actually the motor mounts. They are oil filled and super soft. You can grab an S12s motor and literally walk it 3 iches per side without much effort. If you pick up a bad idle and watch the motor, you’ll swear you don’t have any engine mounts left anymore the way it wobbles back and forth.

What these mounts do cause is really bad chatter when you upgrade to a good clutch and more power. When the clutch and flywheel grab, the motor pitches forward and the clutch and flywheel bounce off each other.

pm’d

any other opinions?

this is good chat. havent seen this on son in a while…