Take me about Disney, input appreciated.

Seeing as how we all appear to be “older” members on here having more discussions on racism and morality than cars, engines, and drag racing, I thought I’d ask for anyone’s experiences with Disney in Florida. Long story short, my mother in law passed away in the early part of this year and she always wanted to take her grandson to Disney but it would’ve been a grueling experience for her with her physical limitations. She left the daughters (my wife) a small inheritance and my wife and I agreed that taking our son to Disney would be something she’d have liked to see us spend some of that money on.

My son is now 8 and just getting tall enough to enjoy some of the “cooler” rides at theme parks so I would like to ask of any do’s / dont’s and experiences anyone on here might’ve had with their trip. I’m looking for where to stay, what to so and do, and any tips and tricks as to how to get the vacation booked either on our own or through an agency or organization. I don’t have a great deal of vacation time with my new employer so we’re planning on no more than 5-7 days all in. Again, any advice or suggestions you may be able to offer would be appreciated.

Just went last June (sister was taking my niece for her first time). I would say number one thing is, don’t buy into the hype of staying on Disney campus at a Disney hotel. It’s expensive as hell, the food is shit and it still takes a 20 minute bus/shuttle to get to the parks. We stayed at the little nemo themed one and while the theme is “cute”, it’s overpriced and again, the meals are horrible. The pool was also SUPER crowded.

The RV salesman in me can’t help but say that I would take the money for a Disney trip and buy a travel trailer or 5th wheel. You will get so many more great memories with your wife and kid than that 1 trip to Disney. Plus you can go camping on any given weekend and get away from all the lunies (me included)

I know that I used to sell a 15k trailer that was a top of the line trailer. I’m not even sure what it costs to go to Disney these days, but I did see the news last night reporting that they just raised the daily rate from $99 to $105 per person. 3 people staying for 3 days is close to $1k just for admission.

I’ll kindly step off my soapbox now, but I just figured I would be the guy that tried to talk you out of going to Disney, you might thank me later.

Stay at Disney and get one of the dining plans :tup:

It’s weird idk what Boardjnky is talking about food was good if you book the good restaurants ahead of time hell you can use the meal plan at Fultons Crab House…They pick you up from the airport and drop you off…Its really stress free.

Stayed at the boardwalk this past halloween

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/s2048x2048/10694337_10152401348300060_865940700108847984_o.jpg

I was more referring to the cafeteria-ish crap at the hotel. The actual restaurants in the parks are good. Maybe we stayed a crappy hotel, I don’t know.

We stayed here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/art-of-animation-resort/

The only option for food at that hotel is a glorified cafeteria. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/art-of-animation-resort/dining/

edit:

Yeah, there are WAY more dining options at that location @LZ https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/boardwalk-inn/dining/

The take-away here, if you’re going to stay in a Disney Resort, make sure there is decent food choices at that location.

All of the in park restaurants and downtown disney restaurants are good they also all work with the meal plans.

You need to book reservations in advance however.

Including flights, hotel, food, and park passes its was $6500 for a 6-7days for 3 of us…We went a couple years before and it was $4000 for a different resort same meal plan.

Staying at boardwalk upped the price you could stay at other disney resorts for less.

We used AAA both times but my wife had to setup all the dinner reservations which is done via disney website.

I stayed at one of the Disney resorts as a kid and loved it. Caribbean Beach I think it was called.

My brother took a crap in the bushes outside of our hotel room because he couldn’t figure out how to get the door open.

Some old ladies tried to intimidate us from using the hot tub in the water park area because they wanted it all to themselves. We used it anyway.

The food was great, but I was a kid who didn’t care much or know better.

Every kid should go once if they can but plan ahead. There is no way you’ll be able to see / do everything.

The real trick is here on plan lunches at the Disney resort plan dinners inside the disney parks at the good restaurants.

I havent been there in decades but I do recall the few times I went being nice, stayed at Dixie Landings, The Beach/Yacht Club and The Grand Floridian or whatever its called. All were nice and plenty to do for kids.

My only recollection of the theme park was that ride waits were super long and they sold gigantic pretzels shaped like a mouse.

The one thing I will require you to do when you go is buy a Mickey Ears hat that says Andrew on it and wear it 24/7 with photo documentation.

Disney has FastPass now you can pre register for 3-4 rides a day via a mobile app and basically you show up at the ride at the time slot they give you and jump ahead of the primary line.

Also you can reschedule those 3-4 rides a day on the fly from the app if you happen to miss the window or change your mind

You can also buy more fast passes. The key is to book them as early as possible. We got shitty times on our fast passes because my sister slacked on booking them. Works out really well though for the most part.

Get a package. You have to grab it when its available tho. Watch for commercials or call. We got out package for 4 ppl, 2 adults, 2 kids, dining package, park tickets and stay at the all star movie resort for $1700. we usually go in february or early march. we drive(stop in ATL to visit my sister) so that cuts down on transportation cost. I will never go to disney again without the dining pack. you spend no time at/in the room so it wasnt important for us to stay at some baller resort especially with a 9 year old and a 2 year old. There are sooo many websites and hints and tricks. Like i noticed 1 year, a mother of a large family would order dbl cheeseburgers and ask for a extra bun(free) and make single burger meals for her kids. I enjoyed catching the bus to and from the parks. at night it gets a little tedious. You’re usually tired and the wait can be a while. When you stay on disney property, you are entitled to extended park hours on certain days. Each park has its own parade and or firework shows so make sure you check the scheduling.

AAA booked it and we didnt even have AAA. They sent the kids a postcard before and after and even booked all of our reservations at the parks and told us which park to go to on which day for the extended hours, parades and shows. We are looking to go back later this year or next

IMO, besides the safari ride, animal kingdom is a waste. Downtown Disney is great for shopping but be careful, shit adds up quick

Rides at Epcot fill up quick like soaring. fastpass it in advance. Dinner at coral reef is nice as well but again, book in advance. Dont try once you get on site

I’m with you. The wife is bugging me about taking the kid to Disney but I just can’t understand the appeal of dropping 4-6k on it. My kid is an adventure ride type. Took her on the Redhawk at Darien Lake last year because it was one of the few thrill rides she could get on being just under 48" tall (the one where they winch you up on a cable and drop you) and she loved it. She has no patience for standing in line either. I’d much rather take a couple days and hit up Cedar Point and take the money I saved and buy her a snowmobile when she turns 10. Can’t wait to go back to Darien this summer now that she’s over 48" tall.

Here is my latest theory after being there several times…

You can reserve 3 rides per pass which saves you hours of standing around. There are only about 6 rides you would want/need these for so go ahead and buy 2 passes and reserve 6 rides and do Disney in one day saving you several hundred dollars on the long list of other traveling expenses you would incur during a longer trip. I can’t believe I am the first person to think of this though. :slight_smile:

I’ve never been to Disney so my opinion on that is worthless. I do know that I dealt with many customers who came in and said they were considering a trip to Disney, but decided to buy a camper instead. If you only own one home, you can actually write the interest off on the RV loan as a 2nd home on your taxes.

Now some people will throw it on a home equity and that rate is usually dirt cheap too.

Andy may be set on going to Disney. It sounds like it’s more of a “in memory of…” thing, which I think is pretty cool. That means more than just “going to Disney”

Kids love disney everything in life isn’t about saving money

Kids love any trip though. I think parents get sucked into the “you’ve got to do Disney at least once” crap too easily.

YOLO as the kids say. Everyone should go at least once in their life.

I dont think it is crap, it is a destination, just like Niagara Falls or the Grand Canyon, you should see it once.

We went twice and 2nd time was because the little one wanted to go back.

There were other options and she really enjoyed it the first time and likes all the rides/parks/etc.

If you look at this way with the park hopper pass you get to goto all the parks so its not like walking around 1 theme park for a week.

I’ve been to Disney a few times and stayed at the Swan and Dauphin, which is on Disney property, and walking distance to a few of the parks. I highly recommend it if you don’t want to pay the “Disney” tax. I also bought my tickets for the parks on eBay, believe it or not. Saved a bunch here as well.

Eating can get tricky. Carry plenty of water with you, and bring lunches. A stop at the local Walmart stocked the hotel fridge and saved on booze. Otherwise it’s $20 for a burger and fries, and $10 beer. It’s like being at a sporting event, but with far more Leaf’s fans.

You don’t need to spend that much at Disney. Do it smart, and you will have a good time.

Oh, and if you really want to ruin your childhood, do Key’s to the Kingdom.