Tankless Hot Water Heater --- Options discussion

Thank you. I was going to choke the next person to call it serial.

Good setup. Much better than trying to make a tank/tankless combo work. That would have required a cold water primary feed to the tankless and a hot water secondary from the HWT to the tankless, plus a proportional controller on the hot water feed maintaining a minimum mixed feed water temp. Not the kind of thing you want to roll yourself when you’re going to be renting the place soon.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

I’m pretty sure it’s because the waste gas is really effing hot and needs double walled vent tubing. When I looked it was going to be about $500 just for materials to vent a single unit.

One of my friends swears by the Rinnai Tankless units. He is a plumber, and just installed one in his house 3 years ago and every time I mention needing to replace my water heater, he tells me to look into those.

So you are now doing two of those and getting rid of the 50 gallon one?

It’s kinda tough to think about sinking money into doing this update…when i already have my place rented out for 3yrs. I’ll only be able to enjoy it for 2 months.

people do that?

Hmmm…i’m 100% sure mine is single wall, however it goes straight up through the house with a 1-2" air gap and encased in 2"x10" planks. Wonder if their are exceptions…?

Yeah, Rinnai is a good brand. And yeah, no need to hang onto the 50gallon tank.

I think regular direct vent hot water tanks are OK with single wall but tankless require double wall?

Why so serial?

Wait so you run these on…

http://www.britishsupermarketworldwide.com/acatalog/cereal_selection.jpg

Wait, so you’ve (rather, the mrs) been taking cold showers for the last six months…?

no… running a single rain shower head at WOT will last me about 20 mins, which is fine for me. It’s a lot of water, so i typically run with the valve about 50% on to avoid drowning. The wife, however, loves scallding hot showers and it lasts only 10mins for her when running full blast.

For me, its about being able to run EVERYTHING in the shower at full blast and letting it last a full sex session, unfortunately for me is longer than 5mins.

basically it’s a shower with no water regulation…it has the ability to dump a shit ton of water in a short time. With some restraint, it lasts longer than needed. When there is an overwhelming desire to just drwon in a cascade of water…the time is limited.

lol @ longer than 5mins.

So I tested my shower last night after reading this thread. I’m somewhere around 3.2 Gallons a minute. No wonder everyone loves my shower.