target ordered to pay $3.1 million for a stupid mistake

i guess since the hundo’s wer redone in 2003 (?) its possible the cashier was unfirmiliar with them, assuming she’s like 17 or 18

but at the same time, i dont think anyone that would actually be in a decision making position for this sort of thing would be that young, so it should have been a simple issue to fix

She deserved an apology and something but def not 3.1 mil.

Yeah I think 3.1mil is a lil over the top.

slander and liable by a multi-million dollar company? thats huge, and 3.1 million is excessive but how would you feel if someone from a company like target sent your company an e-mail calling you a thief when you didnt do anything wrong?

It would suck and I would want 3.1 mil, but seriously, that is so ridiculous. She worked at another department store and did not have the potential to ever make 3.1 million dollars.

half a mil would be much more reasonable i think, but depends on her circumstances

if she is walking around town and is constantly getting pointed out as being “that theif in loss prevention over at xxx” then fuck it, let target pay her 3.1 million

if her current boss went “that cant be true” and they managed to have a laugh about it, i say 250k would be much more reasonable

lol at the comments w/ ppl saying how expensive target is lol

i think they gave her that much to keep her mouth shut, so she wouldnt pursue target anymore and blow up there name all over the news

but that is alot to give her and i bet the government still takes like 23847329487234% of it so shes left with 1000 bucks

I’m with Jam. 3.1 million is fair considering the accusation and the size of the company.

Imagine your employer being told by a reputable company that you have been passing fake bills and a simple “we’re sorry we made a mistake” really wouldn’t do it justice.

I remember someone in the news trying to pass a $2 bill once and the cashier laughing at me, and asking for real money, then having the manager say the same thing and even calling the cops and the cops were like UGHHH it’s a $2 bill, it’s legit lol.

How funny would it be if Target sends her a gift card for $3.1 million.

OH, and a kid at Mighty Taco wouldn’t except a half dollar from me once. Idiot.

I think the $3.1MM is a justified amount given the size and influence of the business making the accusation.

+1

if shes making 60,000 a year at her current job, and shes 30 and lives till 90, she would make 3,600,000 from now till the day she dies (if she worked till she keeled over)

take out taxes, we will call it 2,400,000 net income in that time

now if the accusations actualy hurt her reputation, and she was forced to work at Mc D’s the rest of her life, she would net 554,400 income (assuming 14k a year before taxes)

so 2,400,000 - 554,400 = 1,845,600 worth of possible damages to her pocket book over the next 60 years

now take 3.1mil, and put it in an account that earns 3% interest per year, and you can take out 93,000 each year and still have 3.1 million in the account each year

i think she got paid to much for something thats so freaking easy to prove was just a case of sheer incompetance on someone elses part

:word:

the only point i will argue with you on is that if she is awarded 3.1 million, she will likely actually walk with less than half by the time the lawyers and uncle sam get to it. carry on…

good point

1.55 mill will still net you $46,500 worth of interest at a measley 3% “safe bet” type investment. which would work out to being a years take hom from her current job IF she gets paid 60k / year like in my example

shes still getting overpaid for this, because i doubt this entire incident caused her any real hardship, if her employer has any brains he probably said “wow, target really blew this all out of whack”

but who am i kidding, shes going to do the only american thing to do when u win a big settlement, blow it all on shit she doesnt need and wont be able to afford after shes spent the $ … which will leave her in the poor house in the end

first of all, i doubt she makes $60k since she works at a department store.

second of all…

qf-fucking-t.

we have been talking this about in business law class. the 3.1 mil isnt
because the lady deserves it, it is intended to punish target and set an example. say if target was forced to 10 grand, target wouldnt even blink at that. 3.1 mil will make them think twice about properly training their employees on how to behave, etc…

YAY AMERICA! SUE SUE SUE!!