TDI BUDDIES / Help Please

My girlfriend’s father has a mk4 jetta tdi, auto.
From what I can tell (Im not a professional), its going to need a new torque convertor.

Hesitation, rough shifting, sometimes not upshifting, the whole deal…
Still driveable, but barely, so now it sits :frowning:

I saw a OE-Replacement (SACHS) on eBay that seemed like a decent deal $250shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Torque-Convertor-SACHS-Beetle-Jetta-NEW-OEM-Part-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZSubmodelQ3aTDIQQhashZitem19c2bccb95QQitemZ110641335189QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

But since I’m only 98% sure that the t/c is the issue, I figure I should consult the local tdi-pros.

Any help on this topic, such as other things to check, sites to find t/c’s for a fair price,
anything that pertains to the notorious autotragic-fail of 160,000miles :lol

:number1 Thanks PeteR, Brett, Wayne, Nick, B/Ryan, and even you VOTVOT!!

Wanna sell it?

I wish I was of help here but I don’t know much. Petar will probably know. I do know that those transmissions are troublesome though esp with all the torkz.

Manual swap :slight_smile:

I already tried buying it from him lol
he loves the thing more than his bike haha…
its white too :slight_smile: hes just looking to fix it and probably run it to 300k+

After hearing Pete talk of how much of a task it is to do,
that option is out of the question. Id give it a shot if it were mine though :number1

Pete is a pansy, lol. I’m sure its not bad, just collecting all the necessary parts for the swap. If it were mine, I’d swap it too.

HOLY SHIT, he does exist !
:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown

Well I know he can get put the new t/c IN, but finding one and know what part#
to search is really the motive of this thread

Have you tried vwvortex or tdiclub?

Tranny is dead. I have all the parts and then some to swap to 5spd… I have a whole parts car… You can find a used auto trans on tdi club from free to 600~.

Throw in either another auto or just do a 5mt swap

The autos are junk but it really depends how you drive it… I had bigggg nozzles in mine with the auto but at long traffic lights I put it in neutral so it wasn’t just cooking the trans from the heat. Mine had 174k on it and still shifted mint

lol, trust me man- if it was my car, Id do it.
But being a middle aged man’s DD, hes looking for the quickest route to being fixed.
Shortest amount of downtime is a win :number1

What T/C’s from other VW’s are a guaranteed fit to the TDI
any mk4 auto VW? (golf/jetta/?)

I was reading that any year automatic jetta will have the same t/c as a tdi will.*
This is all hearsay via the forums and would really like to get some real word experience with this.
*If anyone can confirm this, Ill just start calling salvage yards as Im sure there are alot
of junked auto mk4 jettas?

I have this bad-ass website for looking up part numbers but it looks like it’s currently down. Check out/sign up for vagcat.com . When it is back up it’s a very useful tool.

Here’s what ya wanna do bro. Call Frank @ 417-232-4634 and describe to him exactly what its doing and ask him what he thinks. This dude will know whats up. He can also probably giv eyou part numbers and maybe sell ya what ya need. Then call me and we’ll get ya back on the road ballinasmuchascanbewithanauto.

EDIT: Tell him you saw his shit on tdiclub.

+rep

Yea, he has almost that many miles I believe (def 165k+).
I know they’re junk but he drives it real gentle and probably hasn’t even gone WOT lol.

About 2 years ago, I told him to do the neutral trick at a stop and I think that helped for sure.

If you want to take it to PM’s or txt me (or just post in the thread), id really like to figure something out soon.

if that ever happens to me, im gonna search for the elusive 6sp

find me a t/c

Thread split per request.