looking at getting a TDI

So my civic is slowly but surely giving up on me, so I have been looking at TDIs lately, mostly MKIV TDIs, but open to older models. Basically my question is how have they been for those of you who own them? reliability wise have you had any issues? im just trying to do as much research as possible before pulling the trigger on one. my daily commute is 64 miles round trip, plus other driving, so the fuel economy would be what im looking for which is why I am considering the TDI

… you are in good hands

I ABSOLUTELY love mine and I will never ever be without one. Best commuter car i’ve ever owned.

DO NOT buy an automatic. I don’t care if comes with a lifetime of free blowjobs. The fact is you will eventually be paying someone to replace it.

DO GET injectors and a tune, hands down the best thing you can do to these cars. Doesn’t affect mileage at all (if anything it’ll go up) and make the car so much more driveable every day.

TIMING BELTS TIMING BELTS TIMING BELTS.

have wayne do all your work when you get it, because you will end up buying one lol

Or buy waynes :lol

Oh i was planning not to get an automatic. my civic is auto and i HATE it, it bores the hell out of me. But thanks for the heads up on the tune and the injectors, ill def keep that in mind, and timing belts are a must on all VW haha ill be keeping up on that.
now the hunt begins

TDI’s are gay.

And I’m not sold on the whole injector/tune just yet. But I’m paranoid.

TDI has been awesome, especially with the price of gas. Problem is you’re going to pay a premium now… decent condition $7-8K+

Saw one on ebay the other day sell for 11K with like 120kmi. They hold their value for sure.

Course I’m saving probably $500 a month from my Tundra, but I commute 70 miles per day maybe more.

when you get one come see me, i’m a dealer for KERMA.

true, but im definately willing to make payments so long as its fairly reasonable. Ill hunt till the right deal comes along for it

Definitely look at maintenance records etc. Sometimes people who don’t know shit about diesels buy them and don’t maintain them with the proper oil, do the timing belt etc.

And under no circumstance buy an auto.

TDI wizard already posted in this thread though.

MAN PANTS BRIAN. If it breaks, we can fix it. But it won’t.

Drove my car with the AC on the other day, literally has no power. Your car is light years faster than mine. I’ll probably end up with injectors and a tune down the road. This is horrible. :lol

I definately will look at maintenance records, my dads been a mechanic for 30 some odd years now…he wont let me buy something unless he sees records for it

I love em, on my 3rd one right now… Probably best car a person could own. And timing belt. Plzplzplz

timing belt. rollers. WP. make sure your IP is in good working order. clean intake. bypass egr, remove dumpy “cat”. Ventectomy, and get a tune and nozzles.

my car is by no means fast,(but it goes in traffic just fine) but i can romp on it, and still get in the 40s mixed driving. pretty average for a pp502, max stockturbo tune and a 11mm IP

i fill up about every 10 days. do about 65 miles a day

^ Same. Every 10 days here too.

Wayne are you actually selling your TDI?r

I saw one on CL last night with 385k on it and they still wanted $3k. I guess they last forever but I wouldnt even consider buying a 12 year old car with those miles. Its like a timebomb.

wrong. maybe if it said FORD on the front.