Question: What's good and bad about VW TDI?

Guys, I need your input on diesel TDI…

specifically about this car:
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/car/301307443.html

what’s good and bad about diesel VW?

how’s the maintenance issue?

do they break down alot? are they expensive to fix?

is it true about diesel engine that you have to fill up gas when it’s 1/4 tank?

how about the diesel gas station in Amherst/Williamsville area?

thank you!

Whats with the palm trees in the picture, obviously this car is not from buffalo. Seems awful cheap for a TDI, maybe too good to be true?

Yeah despite it sounding like a legit add, the pictures and price just don’t add up. I’d be wary until you see the vehicle and test drive.

Back to your questions.

I don’t know a whole lot about the TDI’s other than I think they get like 40+mpg or more with a chip.

they get better then 40 without a chip, chip just makes them fun to drive.

therer awsome cars and Im looking at getting one when the Civic blows up, but prolly a MK3

altho the car is a great price. if you can get it I would.

but soon it will need Timing Belt, and a turbo, being an auto it will probibly lose that first, pending on how it was or is drivin there only good for 150,200k miles, all considering not bad, just I would avoid as that motor will last forever if cared for.

there great cars and fun to drive (if chiped more fun) and its always funny to pull up along a semi to get gas. lol

Actually seems like a steal.Check to make sure it is legit tho. If everything checks out I would grab it.
D

they are great cars that deal seems too good to be true prolly a scam

I love my TDI, 160k stock clutch, turbo, everything.

As long as you change the oil every 10k and do the timing belts these cars run forever

The timing belt was done, read the ad.

If it’s legit, its a steal, although the autos do get worse gas mileage than the manuals. -10mpg or so

craigslist is full of scams. surely, that is one of them.

Only one way to find out. Call.

hehehe. thanx guys!

actually…im not really planning to buy…happy with my vic…

just curious about whatnot with the TDI…

but yeah, if somebody in forum interested, and if it’s legit…then this is def. a steal…

the background DOES look suspicious…

market value for a car like that puts it waaaaay above 4 grand. unless someone knows where you can get free gas, that car is worth over double that.

Dozr had a big post about stuff to look for on TDIs, I just can’t remember where it is right now.

The biggest downside, is your wallet might be to heavy to carry from the gas money saved. Assuming it doesn’t float away with this scam listing.

I call BS on that ad, it will probably be deleted tomorrow. CL scammers always try to sell high-demand cars like diesels, rare-ish sports cars, and vintage muscle cars, for rediculously low prices. And the background is always that of another state, because all Nigerians probably think all of America looks the same. I don’t know how these scams work, but they’re common.

Click here:

TDI Buyers Tips, by dozr

Damn I’m good with the search engine

awesome tips :slight_smile:

hahahahhahah i fucking love you:bloated:

hwahahhahaha. that is so f*king awesomeeeeeeeee…!!