Someone school me on TDI's

I am seriously considering buying a TDI

with the way gas prices have been increasing and because I put a lot of miles on a car. I need something that gets good gas mileage.

I am not totaly interested in bio diesel just yet, but I would not rule that out as a future possibility.

Other than the obvious benefit of better gas mileage, what are some of the pros/cons of these cars

what type of routine maintience? is it pretty easy to find stations that carry diesel? what are common problems? etc…

thanks for the help

timing belt. intake manifold gets clogged… hold on lemmie get jj.

most gas stations carry diesel…and from what my Dad tells me they can be a bitch to start in the cold…but i dunno if that only applies to Semis

they sell a heater that plugs into a wall socket and cycles the coolant to keep it warm for easier starts/heat right away… you dont have heat in the cold unless the car drives for some time. they run to efficent :slight_smile:

Can anyone explain to me why the jeep liberty 6 cyl diesel only gets 22/26 mpg ?? I was all about getting one until I read that.

I thought it would be atleast 28/35

They don’t use gas!!!

:smiley:

haha yea ive got one remember jam. anyways with vw diesels there are a few things to be conserned about when buying them first and formost would be timing belt/waterpump they generally last about 60k but i would recommend getting it done at 45 just to be safe. next would be check for leaks coming from not only the seals on the turbo but anywhere around the engine. the tdi’s come with little variable veins turbos and they spin apart easily if not monitored. now the fun things… stock 90hp and 145 ft lbs after a $300 rocketchip stg 3 and powerplus 520 injector nozzles you are lookin at about 145hp and 230-240 ft lbs and ontop of that your milage will INCREASE from about 44-48 mpg to 55-60mpg. that is if you can handle keeping it out of the boost. and remember if you are going to start modding get a manual boost controler and boost gauge first and foremost unless you want to upgrade to the vn17 turbo they used in europe…

cliff notes… TDi’s rule…

your car was always so fucking cold leaving kristins coming back to the ritz. i was always so hungover i wanted to shoot myself it wasnt warm until like we hit the steel plants lol.

hahah yea i should hook up that coolant thing while its still warm out huh. and like jam said they do take a little longer to heat up in the winter and you cant let them idle to warm up like you would a regular gasoline engine vehicle…

SEARCH. This has been covered in depth.

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15424

Dozr knows diesel
kinda like Bo knows baseball but without the steroids

isnt it also because diesel kind of gels when it gets cold? i dont know if thats true

Yes, but I believe they add an additive during the winter to help prevent this

check out www.tdiclub.com go to the FAQ

thanks, i’ll check that out :tup:

once you own one, you will never have a stable without a diesel vehicle. the worst economy i have seen out of mine is 43 mpg. i had a lot of fun on that tank.

also, the other night i ran against my friend who had a '91 camaro RS with a 5.0 throttle body injected v8. he got a quarter of a car length in about 45 seconds. my car is almost stock. just cat back exhaust. :headbang:

Assuming all the above mentioned maintenance and typical problems are taken care of, what kind of life span would a MKIV TDI have? 200k+?

properly maintained i would have to say double that. i had a 1984 rabbit diesel no turbo-diesel direct injection but it had 385,000 on it and i sold it to a guy in toronto 2 years ago who is still using it for a commuter…

50hp 77ft lbs 60mpg:pimp:

Buy a tdi you won’t be dissappointed

These TDi thread always make me want another VW
I think it would be the only way I would drive a mk4