Teach me about headlights/bulbs :)

Hey guys, can someone either post up some info about this or link me to some info ?

Yes, I’ve searched, but couldn’t find anything usefull.

I basically want to know my options for the headlights.

From what I read, the stock housing is sealed…this means that you can’t change the bulb at all, you have to change the whole housing if the bulb goes out… is this right ?

Now, I also know there’s an H4 conversion out there, which basically lets you put in halogen bulbs (right?) and it’s not longer sealed, and you have to use halogen bulbs now. This also ups the wattage making it brighter, right? How does it compare?

What’s the difference between “H4” and “9006” and such ?

Are there any other options, any HID kits and such ? I also have any idea what the difference between HID and H4 and Xenon and such are, so any info or links to articles explaining this would help.

Also the number of K is how bright it is, right ?

Thanks for any help.

Wow you are lazy.

With stock headlights you have to change whe whole housing.

‘H4 conversion’ is the eaisest way to go, you use h4 bulbs.
More watts = brighter light
In comparison to what? stock?
The H4 conversion lets you use H4 bulbs from various manufacturers which can delegate different wattage and colour.

H4 and 9006 are different fittings pretty much.

You can go with HID with the H4 kit but without proper projectors or cutoff you’ll end up blinding everyone on the road.
Also for H4 bulbs, high beam and low beam is integrated into one bulb, most HID kits only have 1 setting.

HID Kit install on H4’s from a guy on NICO
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=63414&page=1

K is for Kelvin, a method in measuring tempreture.
The hotter the light gets, the brighter it gets. Also as you move up the Kelvin scale the light goes from orange to yellow to white to blue to purple.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/haknslash2003/hid%20pics/FlourescentsA.jpg

Your eaisest and best bet for a s13 headlight upgrade is to either go get phillips ‘cool blue’ or similar sealed housing, or get a H4 conversion set and get new bulbs.

If you bothered to search for this topic on any of the nissan forums, even google, you would come up with this info and alot more.

well basicly heres how it works

on ur car you have a sealed beam light

that can be upgraded to a non sealed housing that can be used with an h4 bulb.

the h4 buld can vary in brightness based on the wattage of bulb you choose(same way a house bulb is rated)

because the majority of aftermarket housings are not FANTASTIC i suggest not going over a 55/60 W stock rating… (overdrive Auto sells bulbs that you would be pleased with tht are in that rating caragory) you can go to an 80 or 100 W bulb but risk doing damage to the housing and harness that plugs into the car.

on the other hand you can go with an HID kit (overdrive auto sells those too) for around 400 plus tax. you can order them in a variety of bulb styles and k ratings to suit your brightness and colour preference. The other nice thing is that you will never melt any plugs or housings because the ballast/bulb runs at only 35 W

i suggest not going over 6000k becuase the lght quality will go down and the colour will become purple/blue

lastly the bulbs go like this

881,891,893,h1,h3,h4,h7,h10,h11,h13,9004,9005,9006,9007.

there are other ones that get used in very rare applications and then there are variables of the existing lights as well

9005/9006 XS for instance has a differnt plug design than the standard version of the bulb.

GT

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/