testing comm1 port on laptop???

well, i am having some issues with my inspiron 2500 and was wondering if there was any way i can test the comm1 port on the back of my laptop??? i need this to work in order to datalog my standalone. Ive done datalogging before and its always worked, but im using a different system now and wanna make sure that its software related and not my comm1 port that stopped working all of a sudden.

assuming its windows, i would uninstall the com1 port, then let windows find it again.

If it shows up in device manager, its probably working right.

Maybe try another cable if you have one?

Serial mouse set to com 1 could verify 100%

Why don’t you just bring your laptop over, and I will test it for you. Check your PMs, you’ve got one from me.

pretty sure it wasnt a problem with his computer, but a problem with the stand alone harness

yea, ended up being the harness on my standalone. Its pinned incorrectly. however i have a new one coming. soo im pretty confident its not a serial port issue but i will soon find out.

k

Serial ports almost never go bad…unless you pipe voltage into them! Heh.

[quote=“IIIQuaZIII,post:8,topic:27627"”]

Serial ports almost never go bad…unless you pipe voltage into them! Heh.

[/quote]

yea, thats kinda what i figured. I even went out and bought a usb-> serial adapter and the standalone still didnt work, so i figurerd id look elsewhere for my problems.

Many usb to serial adapters are pieces of shit. There are few that work well.
You can test a serial port by using hyperterminal.
You just have to jumper the transmit n receive pins in the cable