USB port issues

okay so none of the USB ports work on my laptop. I had ryanmcell take a look at it for me and according to him it might be something bad on the motherboard. The ports are getting power but everytime you plug something in it says device not recognized. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of issue or know of a place to fix it that’s reasonable in price?

P.S.

the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite

:picard:

:fail:

stupid question first - have you tried rebooting?

second - try deleting the drivers for the usb ports. then restart the computer and let windows reinstall the drivers. i’ve had this happen before, and it usually turned out to be a bad driver.

double post… my bad

^ word.

what version of windows is it running? Specs on the computer?

psi chik it is 100% not a driver issue lol.

Heres what’s been done so far.

Vista Home originally installed.
-all usb devices install as unknown device.

Re-format.

XP installed
-when USB drive installed OS freezes, manual reboot and nothing in Event Viewer regarding this. Try to use manual driver, won’t accept and still freezes on insertion of USB device. Plus XP drivers were never released for this model laptop, so back to Vista.

Re-format

Vista Ultimate & all chipset & device drivers installed.
-USB device inserted & installed as unknown device

Tried numerous USB devices 1.1 & 2.0 (printer, flash drives, memory cards, mouse, keyboard, etc.) manually forced drivers in and still shows up as Unknown device. Insert usb device into my Vista Ultimate machine and device installs perfectly.

From research it appears this is a problem with Toshiba Satellite Series and a lot of people have this issue with no known work around other than returning to Toshiba for a replacement unit which unfortunately Anthony can’t.

Looks like ryan covered everything I would have said…

And hence my :picard: stands for Toshiba Satelites.

that blows :tdown:

does it have firewire by any chance? might be able to use an adapter of some sort if worse comes to worse

I wanted to try to see what would happen with a PCMCIA USB adapter card but I did not have one handy to try.

Anthony, if you want to try that, that is one thing I would check into and see, something like this:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=CL-PCM03-BP&cm_mmc=GoogleProducts--Controllers/Adapters--USBAdapters-_-CL-PCM03-BP&zmam=2003677&zmas=1&zmac=129&zmap=CL-PCM03-BP

For $10 it can’t hurt to try.

hmm…ill try that out…thanks ryan.

np

http://www.usb-drivers.com/companies/1066.htm

well yea it’s not a driver issue lol. damn…

I read the whole thread this time, my bad. lol

try uninstalling chipset or if nogo try reinstalling xp with no chipset i had this happen before on my current computer had to reinstall a few times to get it right i had a clashing problem between my chipset and audio drivers should not have but i did so give that a try if not call toshiba india and let them know what you have tried and get thier input and if it is still in waranty let them fix that ish

As stated he is out of warranty.

Also tried XP and Vista. There are no drivers created for XP only Vista, and with or without it still doesn’t work.

Sounds like the USB controller is fucked.

Download this:

Take a log and post it up here so I can look at it. Hopefully the trial version will let you do that.