Texas raises speed limits to 85 MPH

They say everything is bigger in Texas, and now it seems everything might be faster too. The House of Representatives in Texas has approved a new transportation bill, and it includes legislation that would allow the Texas Department of Transportation to raise speed limits to 85 miles per hour. The state’s Senate is presently considering a similar measure.

The DOT cannot simply go out and slap up a fresh new set of 85-mph speed limit signs. Both engineering and traffic studies must be done before motorists are given a green light to those increased speeds. Don’t feel too bad for those speed-restricted Texans, though. 85 mph wouldn’t be much of a stretch for Texas, since the state already enjoys 520 miles of highway with an 80-mph speed limit.

http://xspblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/owl_orly.jpg

Texas > *.US

they should have some equivalent version of the autobahn in north america

Yep, especially when your kid’s textbooks are full of pictures of people riding around on dinosaurs, i mean jesus horses.

i didnt clarify this before but 85mph as a speed limit is AWESOME!!!

agreed. Would be so nice to set cruise to 94, sit back and relax.

I have every opportunity to relocate to Texas. :frowning: my wife says no.

I heard this on the radio today and screamed “YES!!!” my wife almost jumped out of her seat lol.

We need to bring this to the 90, but that will never happen.

Used to rip from the woodlands to the north side @ 100 every day, and get passed by cops on a regular basis. As long as you’re not darting in and out of traffic and there’s room… it’s the status quo already.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

NY roads can’t handle it, the infrastructure of the access/feeder roads make entering and exiting the highways in question much more efficient to handle the extra speed.

the onramps on 90 would be fine if people were not pussies and would put the skinny pedal all the way down. would not work for trucks though so i guess you are right. That should would be a point to make me vote for a politician though.

:bigtup:

Lol @ thinking this could happen in NY. Just a couple years ago the bitch Clinton was suggesting we go back to 55 to save gas.

NY has a far greater chance of lowering the 65 limit than raising it.

this.

Someone needs to invent a transmission that when you set the cruise at any highway speed it drops your rpms down to like 2-2.5k. Given of course those rpms could actually keep the car moving forward. I would hate 85mph roads, especially in my super short geared civic. I’m 3k+ at 65 as it is.

YEE HAWW!

someday they will invent a transmission with one more longer gear than you currently have

They already fixed these problems… it’s called buying a car designed to go more than 60 mph. :wink:

:rofl: