Bill aims to raise NYS maximum speed limit to 75 mph

New York State would join the fast lane with many of the wide-open Western states if a Bronx lawmaker has his way and the state’s speed limit on highways is raised from 65 mph to 75 mph.http://blogs.buffalonews.com/politics_now/2013/10/bill-aims-to-raise-nys-maximum-speed-limit-to-75-mph-.html

That would be nice, then I could drive 85 without having to worry

That is just what we need. People driving faster while texting. Also, how many 65MPH highways exist in the Bronx? I think this would be the equivalent of a WNY lawmaker making decisions about NYC policies.

They’re just trying to make it easier for SUV’s to escape rogue biker gangs. Bill approved.

They’d probably go 0 tolerance, for a while. I remember a bunch of people getting ticketed for less than 10 over when it went up to 65.

There are 2 interstates in his district (95 and 278), though I don’t know what the speed limits are on that stretch. He’s a freshman, so he’s probably just annoyed by the drive to Albany from the Bronx.

it’ll never happen… 70 MAYBE… :lol:

hell, your state tries to limit your caloric intake, its ridic.

We just upped a lot of Hwy 15 here in UT to 80mph limit in the desert areas. The rest is either 65 (in the metro areas), or 75mph.

the 90 past depew exit 49 towards Syracuse should be 75. theres an exit every what, 30 miles for the most part.

I would be shocked if the 95 is more than 55. That is a lot of exits and lanes and volume to prevent that being 65 I would think. The 278 is a state aux road and isn’t a controlled access highway is it so it wouldn’t be 65.

That was NYC, not NYS.

It would be great if this happens but I seriously doubt it will. This is nanny state NY, you can’t be trusted to handle those kinds of speeds. Just a couple years ago they were talking about going back to 55 to save gas.

Looks like:

2 interstates 95 and 87.
5 expressways 278, 678, 295, 695, and 895.
5 Parkways (Henery Hudson, Saw Mill River, Mosholu, Bronx River, Hutchinson River) that fit the definition from the article:

and permit 65 mph “for all or part of highways that are designated by the department, have at least four lanes of traffic and have a separation between the roadways moving in opposite directions.’’

My assumption is the Bronx would see more 55 change to 65, than 65 change to 75.

it should be 100

I was really hoping this was for I90 that 65 speed limit is way too low

THANKS HILLARY!

More like every 15 but I completely agree, would make my commute to LeRoy much nicer.

We have 75 and 80mph limits near my house in Cedar Park.

Honestly I couldn’t see it working in Buffalo due to the bad weather it just isn’t safe in the winter to go that fast.

If it’s not safe to do 75 on the Thruway due to weather it’s not safe to do 65 either. You can still get a ticket for driving too fast for the conditions doing under the speed limit.

You live in Texas now…

Have you seen the wrecks people get in when it rains? :lol:

lets raise the speed limit and then require even better mpg from cars…