NYS to put speed limiters on cars?

Figured there would already be a thread? Pretty vague in the wording, but I am sure it is enough to trigger most people.

It’s only a matter of time.

I have a friend that had a 911 GT3 and liked to argue that guns are bad and should no person should have them.

This was my counter argument. You should not be allowed to own any vehicle that can exceed 70 mph. Link in the ole GPS and boom, you car will never exceed a posted speed limit in you area.

Man, I’d love to own a car that went over 70mph… #Miatalife

@Motocrossx23 I think you’re good anyway:

for vehicles over 3,000 pounds

So motorsickles and skinny drag cars are still good lol

1 Like
1 Like

I weighed my C6Z. Street trim 3064.

4 Likes

Humm… I MIGHT be able to get mine under 3k if need be.

1 Like

If passed, the legislation would require automakers to include those advanced driver assistance systems as standard equipment in new vehicles from 2024 on.
So no need to start gutting your car.

Yeah, I’m not too worried about this even if it does happen. Cars are global products. Will be just another thing that I have to go into VCDS (for Audi) and look for the “RoW” (Rest of World) setting to tick and update. Not much different than the speed limiters, auto/stop/start and cylinder deactivation on cars today that are easily removed with a tune.

3 Likes

It has begun…

After visiting NY last month, what is stopping them from timing you between two EZ pass sections and sending you a speeding ticket?

For any sort of speed measurement to hold up in court it has to be certified accurate and regularly calibrated/tested. The thruway authority doesn’t REMOTELY meet any of those standards.

There are mountains of evidence about how inaccurate ezpass records are. Just google “ezpass billing mistakes” and look at all the news stories about people being grossly overcharged.

But I have looked at my records just for fun and calculated some pretty impressive average speeds between exits on especially quick trips.

1 Like

People text and drive, maybe we should find a way to lock people out of their phones while behind the wheel. People blow through stop signs, maybe we should put automated stopping devices on our cars so that when people attempt to roll through a stop sign, it slams on the brakes and causes the car to make a full stop. People drive drunk, maybe every single car should have a breathalyzer installed from the factory.

1 Like

Way too simplistic.

Ban cars. Mandate city living and govt. run transportation.

1 Like

3 Likes

1 Like

Disgusting.
In general, I would not care if cars were banned in areas with massive population density.

The inhabitants will have a much harder time getting out of the city to ruin other parts of their state.
Imagine how much cleaner mall parking lots will be in 2 years when Canada ,‘goes down this road’.

2 Likes

Side note: my wife is Canadian and I explained to her years ago why all the garbage in mall parking lots was from Canadians. She wasn’t aware.

2 Likes