The 3 day - E30 M50B25NV Swap

Probably… but for now I’m frustrated, here is the thread on r3v that I had to post since I’m a bit stumped if anyone is interested:

Normally I hate posting for technical help as I see it as an admission that I’m stumped (which I can proudly say rarely happens, usually it’s just frustration). However, right now I can admit I am stumped.

Car WILL NOT start, turns over, has good spark on all 6 cylinders, has good compression on all 6 cylinders. Fuel pump will not turn on, fuel injectors do not fire. I can jump the fuel pump and turn it on manually and the injectors still do not fire. I’m not getting a ground signal from the DME. I’ve swapped the DME to another ('92 NV) car and it runs absolutely fine.

'92 M50NV swap, '89 325i Chassis.
Tested and confirmed x20/c101 connector is good
Tested and confirmed Bosch 402 DME
No connectors were pulled off during the swap other than the DME and MAF, checked for bent pins, NONE.
Ran a separate ground to the DME just to make sure that wasn’t the issue.
Injectors do not fire
Fuel pump does not turn on (no signal to relay)

There must be something STUPID easy I’ve missed, but I’ll admit I’m a bit stumped on this and would like a second opinion. Any help is appreciated.

100% sure it has spark. I’ve checked each individual coil pack with several plugs, and in a separate car (that starts and runs). Having another running '92 makes it easy to swap parts and confirm. I’ve got a 1000 code and the stomp test works when keyed on and the car off. The ONLY ground wire in the bundle near the strut tower is the one that goes to the same wire bundle as the diagnostic plug IIRC. Correct me if I’m wrong?

Bench tested the injectors, they are in good working condition as well. Everything seems to point to the ECU yet it works in my other car…

For reference, 402, 403, and 405 ECU’s are interchangeable. (DME = ECU in my text) I’m running a 403 right now. I think the only thing left after this is to obtain the original ECU for this engine and see if it works with that (which I dont think it will do).

ughh, stupid suggestion but do you have the pass side motormount ground on? Is the fuel pump relay getting voltage. I know that without a crank signal the fuel pump wont turn on. might look into that as well. make sure your wiring for the crank sensor is correct.

Fuel pump relay is getting voltage. It is not getting a pull to ground trigger for some odd reason. Yet the ECU is confirmed good. I have grounds hooked up to motor mounts on both sides to the frame, as well as one from the strut tower to the coilpacks/valve cover and another one to the wire at the diagnostic plug. :frowning:

do you have power at the fuel pump?? did u test the injector harness for power? maybe u snagged a wire putting everything back in and now its shorting??

The harness is rapped, and was not damaged during install. It still recieves power.

[SIZE=2] In west Philadelphia born and raised
On the playground was where I spent most of my days
Chillin’ out maxin’ relaxin’ all cool
And all shootin some b-ball outside of the school
When a couple of guys
Who were up to no good
Startin making trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
She said ‘You’re movin’ with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air’[/SIZE]

^ LOL

Ok, so it ended up being a shit ground coupled with a pinched fuel line. Car runs mint now. Rolled around with it straight piped for a bit tonight working out some kinks… neighbors were NOT happy. :lol: God damn I <3 inline 6’s.

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4495&stc=1&d=1212370554
Tomorrow is new brake pads, and lines, bleed the system, adjust brake pedal, put springs on. Hopefully fix any minor issues and get it ready for Nelson Ledges this weekend. Will have new racelogic runs and corner weights too :slight_smile:

scooooooooooooooooooooooore

Sweet tits!..

get the shifter knob fixed yet? lol

I had two more at my house, a leather e36 one and a regular e30 one. So yes :slight_smile: Combined with allllll new bushings and rods and some UUC goodies the e36 trans feels fantastic.

Sweet! I’m glad its working out great for ya! Not gonna lie, I kind of miss the e30. Always reliable for me.

I’ll have to buy one soon

Nice, you jinxed yourself with that title.

I bet the cars fun as hell

ughhh, im realy thinking about this swap. good job mike.

???

or did you pick up an e30?

i picked up a e30 with a leaky gas tank.:(lol

Woowoo!

Have fun at Nelson…wish I was going. :slight_smile:

PS: Lend me your corner scales for the weekend. :snky:

saw it tonight, wish I’d heard it run (was waaaaaay too late for me to even ask you to start it, “Bro” lol) - you’d better fucking get it done for Nelson :wink:

sweeet

what was the shitty ground for the fuel pump?