The Bobber Project Begins!

They’re easy to stick on quick

Yea. I guess. I know inspectors so I’m not too worried. Plus they’re not really gonna know it came with them anyway

bikes are nothing like cars. especially if you go to a cool shop.

I got the ducati inspected in 40 seconds after I turned the key off, handed the $8 or what ever it is over and drove off. There isnt anything that wouldnt pass on it, but still. They dont even take the VIN or anything down. Year make date inspected was all I saw written on the clip board, took my money and slapped the sticker on the fork.

infact he inspected 2 more bike by the time I strapped my helmet back on and backed up to leave. lol

I want to go work on this thing so bad. I hate having to work!

Progress!!!

Carbs back on and checking fitment.

It’s a tight fit but it will work.

Here’s a badass side shot

And my new plate bracket and brake light

I spent a lot of time working on the wiring, but I need to get a battery tray in there and a plate to mount some of the electrical components still

Looking at the pics, I don’t feel like it’s THAT far from complete. Comments? Suggestions?

damn man that looks really good.

@ dc2nick
Looking good! I was hitting up Google for some ideals for my Bobber XJ project when I found your post.
there is some very good Info in this thread.

I just picked it up and brought it home today its a 82 “Yamahog” XJ 650 Maxim, I am going to go with a lowered soft tail look myself.
keep up the great work, yours looks awesome! Makes me want to get going ASAP with mine!
I am going to post some photos of her here when I get started on it, Plan to have it done by spring.
I think It will look great sitting next to my Harley FXRS Low Rider conv.

I like the fat boy you posted too very nice.

Here is a photo of the one I just picked up.

this Is kind of the direction I want to take with mine, just not with the ape Hangers,drag bars or low Buck horns for me.
I love the looks of these two bikes. what do you guys think?

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i55/cowboy_up_07/XJ650J.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i55/cowboy_up_07/booberxj.jpg

Those are both nice. I considered going that direction with mine, but I liked the Bare Bones Rides XJ Hardtail better.

Thanks for the comments.
I ran into a bit of a snag last night. I have to figure out what to do about the petcock on the fuel tank. The old one will not work. It hits the tank and the frame.

Have you looked into a “relocation” kit? what I have done in the past was to find a brass barbed fitting that was at a 45 degree or 90 etc. and would thread into the whole in the tank. then add a inline filter and a aftermarket inline petcock. Here is some listings from eBay. Just copy and paste the link it should take you there if the link does not work on the page.
Hope this helps.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=petcock&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=inline+petcock&_sacat=0

Nick, your bike looks sick. Makes me want one. Keep up the awesome work.

I might order a Virago Petcock cuz that’s what kinda tank it is. If that doesn’t work, I’ll have to come up with something else. Possibly have it relocated

Thanks Jake. It’s a lot of fun to build, but it sux that i have to drive to Colonie to work on it

I can’t wait to have a place of my own to build stuff!

It certainly helps having a place. Hasn’t stopped me from leaving my Z in pieces for months on end though, haha.

Yea. It’s at Liz’s brothers house. And he’s helping me with parts of it. He doesn’t care it’s there either

One of my old neighbors built a bobber out of a Kawasaki 650 a couple years ago, didn’t look pretty, but ran good, He was going for a rat bike look. I’ll try to get pictures from him

She is off the lift!

Got my electronics all mounted up

But now I have to deal with this rats nest

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/dc2nick/0D989A4D-CCF4-4855-B463-0E17A56758CF-3920-00000610F5A3AF65.jpg

What do you guys think?

Fuckin diggin it!!! Some forward controls, 2:1 pipes exiting both sides straight back under the frame side exit infront of the rear tire IMO would total make the look and feel of the bike.

Whats the plans for finishing the tins, frame and wheels? Paint and PC ? :slight_smile:

Black, black and more black. Trying to figure out how to work in some gold leaf