The Buick.

Haha, yeah we are looking for some different seats, probably two buckets for the front and a bench in the back.

We picked up a couple small things from Summit, new valve cover T bolts, and plug wire separators. I have no idea what my Dad was thinking when he ran the wires though… I think they look stupid… lol. I’ll fix them one of these days.

We sand blasted and painted the battery box, and then moved it down into the wheel well. We can’t put it in the trunk until the fuel cell is removed, since gas fumes + spark source = bad idea. It’s out of the way and hidden now, it should look much better.

The new recored radiator showed up Thursday, now with a built in transmission cooler. So I installed and wired the electric fan and radiator today, it came with a thermo switch that kicks it on automatically at 185F and turns it off at 165F.

The wiring harness that came with the fan had an over ride wired in already, so I hid a switch under the dash for the occasional chance that we get stuck in traffic.

I also took the chance to set up a nice switched power rail with a 30 amp relay. I had a ground block already, so we just machined a cover for it out of UHMW to keep it insulated

Hopefully we can get the front end bolted on tomorrow and go for a cruise.

We also picked up these from the junkyard for $80, power everything :slight_smile:

Some decent progress. I figured I’d post pics of the 1940 Lesalle parts car we have

Flathead V8 with a whopping 100hp!

The rear door sills that we are going to put on the Buick

Who needs floors?

We got the seats mounted, new carpet in, and a boot for the brake pedal installed. I’m not so sure on the carpet, it’s not bad though, and it was some extra we had laying around, so free is good :slight_smile:

I can’t seem to get my father to paint things black…

And I had some chrome pencil tips laying around, so we tacked them on

We broke an engine mount yesterday, so it’s back up on jack stands for some more work, which always turns into WAAAAAY more work… lol

Lets hope it’s back on the road quick, it’s way to much fun to drive to be stuck in a garage half the summer.

those seats are mint!!!

and stairs stairs stairs stairs

Thanks, they are super comfy too :slight_smile:

We replaced both engine mounts, so it’s back on the road :slight_smile:

Also we picked up a couple amber LED signals at a swap meet a couple weeks ago, they’re from a Harley, but I think they work pretty well. After a bit of messing with the wiring, they are working great :slight_smile: Now people will stop looking at me funny when I’m sitting at a light waiting to turn left and signaling with my hand, haha.

The universal wiring harness just makes everything so easy on this car…

We went to Syracuse Nationals yesterday, and grabbed some parts while we were down there.

New mirrors, now you don’t need two people to back the damn thing up…

And a working glove compartment lock. Now you don’t need a screw driver to get it open, haha

Wish I had bigger projects with my dad when he was willing/able. Enjoy it! Looks like you 2 have your hands full.

I went home this week to find our Buick all tore down. The body is off the chassis, and the plan is to fix all the rust and repaint the body. We’re also in the process of looking for a totaled LS1 Camaro as a donor car :slight_smile:

We’ve got 4 new doors on the way, they ones that came on the car are pretty beat up. A couple have been cut and rewelded for some reason.

And all the wonderful rust…

maaan thats alotta work

holy shit. first things first get that thing acid dipped and/or blasted.

^^^dont acid dip it. that shit will stay stuck in the crevises and be a bitch to get out for body work. stick to blasting if doing so.

this thing gettin a chop?

also, do you live in pendleton? theres a garage around the corner with a cavalier that looks alot like yours.

I can’t believe I’ve never seen this thread. This is a really cool build :tup:

NYSpeed needs more stuff like this and less threads about orange rims on Euros that “look mad dope yo!”

Yeah… there was a lot hiding that we weren’t expecting. I’ve been trying to convince him to just put it on air bags, LS1 swap it and cruise around how it is, but he wants to fix it all. I loathe bodywork, so this should be interesting…

No plans for a chop, but I’m sure we’ll be having it blasted.

I live out East of Rochester in Clifton Springs, so probably not. My Cav is still broken though, and has been for about 8 months now, I need to pull the head to make sure the pistons and valves weren’t meeting up before putting it all back together. Finishing up school is taking all my time at the moment.

So you wouldn’t like the blue steelies on my Passat? lol

Thanks everyone.

We now have a Barrel Roll Machine.

DO A BARREL ROLL!

Lots more work to do, but now we can at least wheel it around.

that rotissery makes life way nicer!

Its so nice to not have to weld upside down, haha

WOW!! That looks awesome! Looks like you guys have some work to do haha. Good luck with the build.
Chopped top, LSx swap and air bags would look nice!

Made a lot of progress over the winter, spent it all replacing the rust with new sheet metal.

Floor boards

Making a new rear window rail

Floor cut out

Rails cut out

Just a little bit of lead…

All the old rust cut out

More lead at the passenger side window

Cut out

New piece fitted

All new body rails

Most of the rust on the front end fixed

Built a rear sliding window drip tray

Cut the rear bumper off, it was all full of bondo and rust.

Trunk is still in pretty rough shape

This used to just be an odd empty space, so we closed it off. It should be a nice protected area to run wires now.

Looking good