Turby Winter '08/'09 rebuild **"almost done" pics, post 424

figure i may as well log my rebuild somewhere…

this is what i started with, obviously. we’ve all seen these:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/TurboLS1ss/Billyscarfiredamage23.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/TurboLS1ss/Billyscarfiredamage10.jpg

gas tank:

stripped out the interior, big thanks to chuck the cleaning man as well as pat on this one. it was insta-relief from the nasty stench when the carpet and headliner came out:

bottom before stripping and paint:

i sanded the rear of the interior floor pans down to bare metal and self etching primed them, just so i wouldnt be working in complete filth. they looked pretty good when the were first done, but i’ve obviously been working around back there since. they will be cleaned up once again and sprayed with gm factory primer once the cage is in, and will look like new:

i’ve been picking at the tubbing work. it’s kind of a pain in the ass. i don’t want to cut too much, so im taking my time. i was peeling off one layer at a time by drilling out the spot welds, but at some points you just need to take the saw-zall to it. it’s pretty effin boring work though. once these are done, the project should roll pretty quick:

and finally for today, i recieved my www.humount.com faceplate flush mount faceplate. i’m pretty impressed with the quality. they make these for several cars/trucks, and can do some custom work too. the “camaro ss” has a screen and blue LEDs behind it. pictures don’t do it justice imo:

i plan on trying to incorporate my EBC flush into where the red camaro emblem is on the dash. i’ve been needing somewhere nice to put it, and having two “CAMARO” logos within 2 inches is a little redundant. luckily it is almost the same size as that slot:

http://www.alltrac.net/manuals/greddyprofecb.gif

ill keep this thread rolling

at least you havent decided your “too old” to have a fast car

good work man, look forward to updates

what did u use to clean the interior? maybe its dumb question but im going thru the same stage of redoing everything, but because my car smelled and is old not because it burned :stuck_out_tongue:

nice work! keep it up!

dumb question, but what happened to it, the burn?

^lol. Glad to see it coming along.

too be honest i am definitely not into it like i used to be. it just gives me something to do in the winter. I can’t spend all my free time in the bar. i’m pocketing way more money than i’m spending on this

you need to replace all the fabrics and sound deadener basically. ill be using factory style replacements in black, and i have it priced out at around $400 for molded carpet with jute padding and a hardtop headliner. if you were going the lightweight option, a lot of guys go with ozite (i think its called) which is very inexpensive and very light. i didn’t want that though, because im still aiming for street comfort

Thinks shes finally gonna break outta the 10’s? I cant wait for this to be done!

Have you been inside of an STi lately?

something in the gas tank area started on fire. i believe the pumps seized up and the harness shorted back there.

i definitely want to take it to the track next year a lot. ill be working on a way to get the car to 60ft, and my goal is to get to 9.5 by the end of the year. not looking to break any records, and im keeping the M6 for sure. most people give up and go auto with these cars, so it wont be easily done. we’ll see though.

pretty bad? i’ve only been in one but didn’t really pay attention

I ditched the sound deadning under the rug myself, there had to be 20-25#s of shit stuck to the underside of the rug, honestly the car is really no louder inside, if you go with the Ozite you can save aprox 35-40#s just on the carpet and deadning

Fuel cell in your future?

think it says STi something like 13 or 14 times. lol

u should just got built auto man, fuck the M6 at this point

in a honda its about 27 lbs saved with no rug, sound deadening or the tar on the floor pans/interior metal shit. i doubt you would be saving that much W/ a rug.

im still doing full interior on my car, id rather have it be comfortable than cut everything out just to save 30 lbs, which is what hes doing

you’d be suprised how much shit is under the rug, I should bag it up and weigh it
its still comfortable, the car might be 5 decibals louder if that without all that crap, the only other thing I have removed from mine is the back seats and seatbelts only because I dont ride people around in my car

shit the back seats and belts are like 35#s

theres alot of excess weight in 4th gens

heres the weight reduction list from ls1tech-

carpet & sound deadning= 41#s

i think you need a new scale. :lol: i believe the WHOLE factory carpet is 41 lbs. i will be looking to shed weight fo sho, but not at the expense of my comfort. i would like to lose a few hundo pounds if i can. so far i have this for weight loss this build: tubs, no more back seats, seatbelts etc, corbeaus in the front, various bracketry removed. im thinking about removing the rest of the ac out of the dash as well. there is a bunch more i know i can do… ill get to it. unfortunately i have the addition of a cage working against me

thought about it, but i dont want it to be hacked, and i dont want to do any more fabrication than i need. we are going to sump a 98 tank, run a magnafuel pump a with -10an lines good for 2000na hp.

o geez

nah… i really thought about it, but i am dead set against it for the following reasons: i drove my dads with a built auto, and i absolutely hated it. i hate everything about it other than the better ETs id get. i love my M6. i was thinking about making it way more track oriented but i really dont want that. i love driving just cruising around with it in the summer. finally the expense of it would be WAYYYYY mroe than i want to spend. this rebuild is on a budget. like i said, im not into this stuff like i used to be, and now i have something in the bank to work from towards a house

I also removed the tar shit on top of the gas tank, on the tranny hump and some around the toe boards and various other places, trust me its a good 20-25#s

to lose a few hundred pounds you have to either dig deep and buy lightweight parts or realize you cant have light weight and total comfort

the #5 and #10 pound things add up fast

oh yeah im sure with everything and the back seats you would be saving a good 50-60 lbs.
i just hate the openess or w/e behind me, i might build like some type of aluminum thing with carpet or something over it to seperate the front section of seats from the rest of the car. obviously that wouldnt work with a cage, but it would give still an “enclosed” feeling

good luck with the build!