The Daily Operation: '92 BMW 325i (E36)

By far the best build thread on Shift, and top 3 out of any I’ve seen on the interwebz just because of the humor :rofl

Stage 7 – The Final Chapter [UPDATED 7/16/2010]

After a year and a half of fun with this project, it’s time to write the final chapter.

So “Winter car use” was my number one justification for keeping this car as a 2nd car, but I know it’s just not necessary. The M3 sedan I bought last month is in decent shape, but it’s not like it can’t be driven in the winter. All I have to do is jack the suspension up, put on some 50 series snows and save up for a new front lip every winter!

In all seriousness though, keeping this car doesn’t jive with my philosophy to try and keep life simple and clutter free. I’ve been experiencing “complexity creep” in my life and feel like I need to simplify, cut things down, and make time for what’s important. So the 325i will be going up for sale.

Last time I checked though, faded three tone paint jobs and wheels that resemble bottlecap lids like

UGH 1

UGH 2

UGH 3

… tend to attract buyers who ask “will you take food stamps?” while asking about bus routes to come see the car.

So, I took some time to make some cosmetic updates.

The front bumper was scuffed, sanded, and sprayed black. I sourced a nice silver M3 sedan bumper and moldings and painted the M3 bumper black the same way.

The questionable grey lower skirts were masked off and blacked out as well.

(note awesome knife rip I made because I realized that when it’s taped up and masked off, you can’t open the door! DoH. Don’t worry I remasked it before actually painting)

I picked up a set of nice OEM 16" from a 328iC and threw some good RE92s on them too.

The M3 lux seats from my '97 sedan were swapped into the 325i to match the M3 rear bench in there.

Here’s a comparison while I had a Lux seat and Vader side to side:

In the end, the car didn’t come out half bad! Seems a shame to let it go… But I’ve made up my mind!

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m380/ajg914/Choclair%20E36/Stg%209%20-%20Farewell/P1070262.jpg

In the end, here’s what I learned from the ol’ E36:

1. Older BMWs are neither a big hassle nor very expensive to maintain (*1)
  2. These things are for the most part, overbuilt. 17mm nuts for the seat rails, really!?
  3. The car has the right mix of technology / simplicity (*2)
  4. Did I mention they drive nice and have that nice solid feel to 'em?

(*1) When one has no shame and bothers every Shift member for the E36 question of the week while simultaneously lurking on Bimmerforums classifieds at every waking moment

(*2) In other words, it’s modern enough to go good and handle well yet free of gimmicky driver aids and other weight adders.

Much thanks to all who shared time/knowledge with me- it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot.

And to those who think they’ve escaped the Saturday morning “hey what’s up man, I’m trying to get this bolt off the Beemer’s _______ and…”

Don’t forget I still have an E36 (:ninja) so don’t deactivate the caller ID/blocking just yet!

Onward and upward! It’s been fun! :thumb

dont forget I want those moldings! Ill grab em tuesday when im home from canadia at the latest!

car came out great man!!!

I won’t be home Tuesday- going out to Salt Lake City for a week. I may leave the 325i at home and drive my bro’s Civic to JFK. If I leave the 325 at home I’ll take off the moldings and leave them with my bro or something. I’ll text you and let you know.

Thanks for all the help man. :thumb

These are def fun cars!

RE92’s? Archie, I’ll keep you in my prayers:rofl

Pray for yourself…

I won’t be on RE92s at CVMP and the good Lord may need a few weeks notice to work a miracle like the G squad not spinning out within 5 laps.

:rofl at random trash talk in own build thread

So you’re selling it? How much if you don’t mind me asking?may be intrested.

PM’d ya! An ad will go up on this site soon! :thumb