Journey In A Breadbox: My '97 M3/4/5

Background

Well, as all you car heads can understand… Even if one has no time, few resources, and is taking the damn bus to work everyday because the main ride doesn’t work- the itch is still there. I actually debated trying to fix up my 325i body-wise and making it more like a car and less like a conversation starter, i.e:

“How come the dent in the back is below the taillight but the bumper is completely fine?”

“You don’t need a speedometer- 'cause I can tell how fast we are going by the number of times the headliner hits you in the noggin”

I was about to proceed on this ambitious body work plan, but then happened to run into a nice E36 M3 sedan at the right price.

OK, so happened to run into, for me, is defined as checking BF.com 5x a day and setting craigslist to send me RSS feeds to my Gmail Reader for M3s all across the Northeast.

But other than all that, yeah the car pretty much fell into my lap.

Running some quick numbers in my head*, I figured I wasn’t going to be out much more buying an M3 compared to trying to fix up the 325i. (* After consumption of about an 1/8th of Hendricks)

Plus I already have some decent parts from the 325i that can go into the M3. More on this later.

So, in the end, it worked out like 1-2-3…

Or, well, like 3-4-5, as in another 3 series, 4 doors, and 5 forward speeds.

When you have a small family and an even smaller budget, I can’t think of a much better option for a relatively simple and sporty RWD sedan.

Objective

Trouble Free and Entertaining Daily Driven Family Sedan

TO DO: Current Work List (as of July 5, 2010)

1. Guibo (Flex Plate) Replacement
  2. Replace Transmission Mounts
  3. 3.38 LSD Swap
  4. Shifter Bushings
  5. Interior Swap (Vaders + Rear Bench)
  6. Side Skirt Replacement
  7. Replace Brake Travel Sensor
  8. Replace Front O2 Sensors
  9. Install SS Brake Lines, Bleed System
  10. Install SS Clutch Line, Bleed System
  11. Replace Brake Pads
  12. New Wheels / Tires

That’s it for now. Hoping to finish everything by August. HA!

NOTE: This thread reads backwards, meaning most recent stuff is at the top.

The Pickup

[6/11/2010]

This car was located in Maine, basically a 4 state drive.

Threats from the wife still fresh in my memory “you better be spending more time at home and not driving 5 hrs to be buying any more #@ cars” I came up with the brilliant idea of taking the morning off work to pick up the car, so as not to interfere with the weekend.

Great idea, except I was so excited to get the car I couldn’t sleep the night before (even after 17+ cars, this still happens to me) and I had to cover 500+ miles round trip. To get back in time for lunch, this required starting out, at, uh 3:30 AM.

I left the apartment and got into my breadbox of a one-way rental.

Then I stopped by Kinko’s on Wolf Rd. to print out the usual documents (MV-82, DTF-802) and the Bill of Sale- always nice to be ready with all the paperwork!

Naughty By Nature blasting through the breadbox speakers, I drove through MA and entered NH at about 7:13 AM…

Making good time and I cross into Maine about 40 min after that.

Call up the owner and he gets ready and heads over to the airport to meet me.

Soon enough I’m returning the oversized toaster at Hertz at Portland Jetport in Maine and waiting to be picked up in the car.

Moment of truth? Not really, it was actually uneventful as I had been sent TONS of pics of this car, exterior, interior, underbody, engine, suspension, etc. Finally I see the car and it’s looking NICE.

I’ve literally spent the past 3 weeks asking questions, checking with the owner and even the ex-owner about this car. Both are enthusiasts, and although I was initially hesitant to contact the ex-owner about a car he no longer had, I found out I was the one having to get him off the phone- that’s how much he loved talking about the car. Always a good sign.

Even with an E39 M5 taking up space in the ex-owner’s driveway, he said he really missed having an E36 M3. The important thing to me was that a lot of information was exchanged, and the car had the major E36 items were addressed (suspension bushings, cooling system). Also, many other items such as clutch, gaskets, etc, already replaced.

I felt comfortable with everything going into the deal, so I only needed to look over the car for 15 minutes.

For the test drive part of it I drive from Portland Jetport to the bank. With 30% tread on the rear Eagle F1s and the title not yet in my hand, I didn’t think it would a good idea to be bombing every on ramp in sight. Note to self: “Sucka, ya just admitted being a wimp in your own thread!”

But about 3 minutes into the drive, the no-nonsense direct steering (new tie rods!), neutral stance, and the wail of the S52 had me real comfortable and giggling inside, feeling like I could do this ALL DAMN DAY.

I realized that a third grader could guide this M’s nose into a curve with the precision of a turret locking onto its target. Each stop light became an opportunity to test the strong brakes, then wind out a couple of gears to hear the exhaust. In my mind, I kept paraphrasing Renee Zellweger:

“She had me at Active Autowerke”

Seriously. Even if gas goes up to $7/gallon I’m gonna find it hard not to cruise at 75 in 3rd on I-87. The 9 mpg would be worth the music.

Soon enough we were at Bank of America and I was withdrawing my life savings while simultaneously praying that both daughters receive full scholarships to college…

Here’s a quick pic after the title was signed over:

I thanked the seller for all the help and was on merry way by 9:40 AM. I had been up for more than 24 hours at this point, but the excitement kicked in and I was wide awake all the way through NH, MA, and then finally NY- thinking about how fortunate I was to find and be able to buy this car.

By 1:40 PM I was back in Latham.

The hours at work couldn’t go fast enough- 3:00 PM saw me in a boring a$$ conference call drifting in and out of sleep while someone blabbered on about efficiencies, enthalpy, and flowmeters. I looked around for a bell to ring and save me. Oh to be in third grade again…

5:00 PM at last and I bounced out of there with the quickness!

My '97 Sedan in its new home:

Joining the rest of the team!

(not pictured: Civic, 325i)

MORE TO COME

POST reserved for BS

Post reserved for even more BS

Last reserved post (I swear)

damn dude sounds like fun road trip you had there for a clean E36!

Thing looks good! Congrats!

Great post and even better car! Good luck with it man, that thing is BEAUTIFUL.

dope, i like these cars a lot. someone is selling one two blocks over in green/modena.

Nice pick up Archie! Are you going to do any auto x with it?

Fuck autox he’s gonna slap a couple of my spares on and come smoke some tires!

SICK pickup Archie! Little hurt I never got a call.

Rip that M50 mani off the stupid 325 and put it where it belongs!

You think that S52 is fun now? Wait til you have an extra 15-20whp over 4k.

good read, beautiful car

wow clean pickup, love the post

lol’d hard on the headliner comment LOL +rep

So sick!! That thing looks mint.

Awesome pick up Archie!

Looks like a GREAT purchase. I can’t wait to see this thing.

Archie you’re still the BOSS!

Always the best write ups. Congrats on a clean new ride.

Archie, you’re too fucking funny :rofl

Will detail in return for favors :shifty

Thanks everyone! :thumb

In other words, you are asking if I will do more than stand by it with arms folded at Crossgates outside the cinema on Friday night? Hard to say at this point.

In all seriousness though I’ll try and do something fun with it but really bought it more to enjoy driving every day, cruise, etc.

Hey man although this was in the making for a couple weeks I didn’t know it was going to end up with me, so I had to make arrangements to jet out to Maine like the day before… As for the M50 manifold, yeah I hear it gives nice gains for like $100. What’s the best install kit? And doesn’t it make the car fail inspection since it’s an OBDI part?

So can I say 7/10 on this M’s exterior? :lol

It really does flap around that much… (The headliner, not my mouth) Easy fix, but I just lack time.

Thanks Joey, it is in good condition.

You’ll be seeing it soon my friend- from under the car hehehe.

When it comes to stop, drop, shut 'em down open up shop… Lance you are my inspiration.

Would appreciate a detail but I don’t recall signing off as “boytoucher”? Try to be less forthcoming with your advances… I MIGHT be able to afford one of your details, but definitely can’t swing your rates on the boytouching (if word on the street is true)… J/k.

:lmao

I’ll paint your wheels an give you a detail for $2,000. You can thank me later.

Highly recommended. Sacrifice a little low end torque for lots of top end hp. No emissions changes.