Journey In A Breadbox: My '97 M3/4/5

Nice find!!

this, though I only have experience with the Turner ‘conversion’ so I can’t say otherwise…I think I’ve heard good things about the Eurosport kit, and IIRC the bimmerworld kit has some nifty piece nobody else includes, but that’s all I can tell you off the top of my head :rofl

What’s in the kit? What else do you need to hook it up?

Enlighten us Benny!

Thanks to Jesse for the advice. I have been reading on m50manifold.com but their complete kit is like $300+…

http://m50manifold.com/images/stories/Pic_7.JPG

I’ve seen M50 manifolds going for about $100 or so, but you need some hoses and stuff, and also the fuel rail cover needs to match or there will be a small gap between that and the manny? Seems the fuel rail cover isn’t that important though…

Archie you are far too resourceful to pay $300 for that. :slight_smile: Factory gaskets, small vac hose, and that contraption for the IACV.

Nope no way I am going to pay $300 for that… 'Cause I don’t have it!

Will research more, but first I’ll take a good look under the car and then go onto getting the 3.38 installed along with changing the suspension out…

Definitely interested in the M50 manny though!

One of the kits includes a nifty molded silicon iacv tube, idk.

Hi-flow silicone IACV tube is worth at least 12whp at idle.

probably not but it looks way more legit than that random hose clamp contraption. I wouldn’t put that thing on my car it makes my eyes hurt.

I’m pretty sure all e36s have the same pressure at the rail, so just get an obd1 fuel rail/regulator…however im not sure if they’re plumbed differently.

nice automobile archie, op was a nice read thanks.

Looks great Archie. I would wait until you get used to the good old stock s52 power then change over to the m50 manifold. Your money will feel better spent.

The 3.38 install should be easy, do it yourself.

damn that thing is clean, nice pic up

True… After several years of not owning anything remotely speedy, 240 hp is PLENTY. M50 swap is not an immediate concern but nice to know it’s there when I get used to things. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to 3.38 and my GC kit/camber plates/adj rear arms installed and aligned on this car with real tires though!!

GREAT OP, really enjoyed the read. Nice pick up man. This thing looks very clean. Should be a very nice and reliable DD/cruiser. Congrats on finding what you wanted!

Nice dude! Love four doors. You really do have fun writing up your posts, don’t you? :lol

i think you have this thing for buying silver cars :lol

Nice pickup :thumb

OK updated the thread real quick.

Here’s my to do list for this car as of today.

Thanks to Wayne aka WS* some of the hard stuff has been done already.

(* Would Smash! doH)

Write up and pics of stuff to follow!

1. Guibo (Flex Plate) Replacement
  2. Replace Transmission Mounts
  3. 3.38 LSD Swap
  4. Shifter Bushings
  5. Interior Swap (Vaders + Rear Bench)
  6. Side Skirt Replacement
  7. Replace Brake Travel Sensor
  8. Replace Front O2 Sensors
  9. Install SS Brake Lines, Bleed System
  10. Install SS Clutch Line, Bleed System
  11. Replace Brake Pads
  12. New Wheels / Tires + Alignment
  13. Sub/amp Install

That’s it for now. Hoping to finish everything by August.

HA, that’s a good one but I’ll do what I can!!

Do the transmission linkage “knuckle” when you do the shifter bushings. It’s only $25 and it’s the source of half of the play in the linkage. That and carrier arm bushings (around the bitch clip) and you’ll be good. That might be the most satisfying mod on your list. :slight_smile:

Archie, I don’t know how you like those Vader seats. They have to be the most uncomfortable seats I ever sat in :lol