The End of Manual Labor?- Interesting read

MSN Auto:
The stick-shift is a fast-fading icon.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=656470

boooo

Boring,but both do have pros/cons.

:tup: now that automatics can shift faster and handle sport conditions better, the demise of the manual will only cause them to get that much better to pick up the slack.

Still in the air on this one…

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ugh…3rd car,first manual and i’ve never had more fun on a daily drive.

flappy paddle gear boxes are teh suxor.

nope…

Europe will still embrace the stick, as will many parts of Asia.

Isnt North America the only place that prefers auto?

Yep, might be difficult to eat that whopper and fries while shifting gears :meh:

there have been articles like this since the 1960s… and did they go away?

Exactly.

LMAo North America really is the only place where the auto trans thrives. Everywhere else i have been hates it.

Amid the decline of the manual transmission, some serious performance cars offer nothing but a stick shift, such as the Nissan GT-R.

UHHH???

One remaining hang-up is cost. Audi’s S Tronic (formerly called DGS),

dsg…

this guy looses his credibility after these…

Cost is a big issue. Auto trans is cheaper to build. Spike torque (typically a factor of 2) makes the driveline more expensive with a manual.

ill never buy a paddle shift,auto,steptronic any of that gayness, i hate driving automatics

the zr1 is going to be auto only?

im not a vette guy anyway but thats all the more reason not to by a zr1 even if i makes it faster, the shear joy of shifting myself is way greater than getting up to speed a second quicker

I seriously hate automatic, unless it is a vehicle of VIP or heavy towing status…

I just feel so much more “in control” of everything with a stick car. It even keeps me from falling asleep at the wheel…

I think stick will see a comeback as the auto industry starts cutting back again to produce at lower cost… People are still eating up new cheap cars, and buying stick is such an easy way to knock $500 - $1500 off a price tag.

Not to mention with the EPA 2020 of 35 MPG, stick shift will be a factor in trying to meet that quota.

along with turbos to make the power but keep the mpg without hitting boost lol