The Forum Network Explained

Welcome back everyone! There is a lot of new functionality to the forums, one of which is the new network structure that will allow cross-collaboration between forums. Take a look at the following image and I’ll explain it below.

(forums may not be exact)

So what does all this mean exactly? While the basic structure of your home site remains the same, some forums can now be seen on multiple sites.

For example, in the ‘Classifieds’ section your classic forums for selling locally remain. But if you have a set of wheels, tires or automotive parts you now have the option to place them for sale in a ‘Network-Wide’ section. This gives you a larger user base to sell your item!

We’ve also added ‘Network-Wide’ auto and OT sections. If you have general automotive questions that might be best served by asking the whole network, or if some automotive news effects everyone, post it here. In the same way, some OT news or sports threads for example might be a good fit for the Network OT section.

Be aware that these sections will be moderated HEAVILY. We won’t tolerate cross-country hate (sports topics excluded :wink: ) and if you’re not mature enough to interact with the rest of the world (so-to-speak) your access to these sections will simply be revoked.

Damn thats awesome. Good work. When did this get back up? I’ve just been hitting my bookmark for new posts and thought today that I would just try the root URL instead.

about 15 minutes ago

thats a sick feature!

much better system for classifieds!

[QUOTE=;][/QUOTE]
everything looks real good guys. keep up the good work

damn, that is pretty sweet.

So the forum visibilities are based on permissions/groups?

We’ll have to start advertising in USD and CDN =D

Can we get an exchange rate calulator added?

this is gonna be very cool. seems like we will be seeing a lot of new names on here.

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

josh…so as for OT…is there an OT for each forum along with a network OT? or is there just a one network OT?

Yes and no. You can log in to any of the forums with your current ID. You can only see what we have your ID and usergroup mapped to.

nevermind…i saw that there are two.

This idea sounds ridiculous.

[QUOTE=;][/QUOTE]
This is amazing. Great job guys. I love it.

As in ridiculously awsome!!

As “nice” as some of you guys say this Is. I object.

As far as Son is concerned, things are a lot more cluttered, a lot more members without having a title to the site they actually “belong” too.

I find it ridiculous to do such a thing as collaborate such different sites into 1 infrastructure. Each site was built around a specific demographic and area to appeal to members. To bring it all together seems against the point.

I think many people will agree with me, usernames across sites; fine.

Forums across sites. Bad

We know what site you are from, and for “suporting members” you will be getting your badge back. All of the Son forums are still Son specific. If you do not like the network forums, I will not twist your arm to post in them.

As far as the demographic, that is why we left each site as it’s own entity but with cross over areas that can bring the different groups together. I am 100% sure at some point you will find yourself interacting with someone from another board. It may be at a meet, selling parts, or just having a conversation in a thread online, and it will not be a bad experience. Well that is unless you go into the Network Off Topic and post something like “Sabres Suck, Go Leafs”

Cool shit for sure…

Not cool. I log on to nyspeed once or twice a day. Usually there is 75-150 posts, and I browse through and read a few of them HERE and THERE. I just clicked “Today’s Posts” and now it is chock-full of import crap that I won’t even bother to read. Great. Toronto Nissan? Yawn. 240blahblah. Yawn. Is there a way to filter that crap out?

Just hit NYSpeed, and then hit what’s new. Rather than today’s posts.

I did and it still mixes certain threads, like “Network General”, etc, etc.