The GN

So a lot of you already know me from way back and a lot of you know that I’ve had this Grand Ntional forever and a day now (actually 7 years but I’m only 24 now). I’ve wanted to do something with this car forever, but for some reason never did. Now she’s in a state that I never thought would or could happen. It’s time to play catchup on nearly 7 years of not doing anything but changing the oil…

Here’s the specs on the car:

1985 Buick Regal Grand National
Displacement: 3.8 Litres
Aspiration: FI Turbo
Transmission: 2004R
Rear End Ratio: 3.42
Weight: ~3300 lbs.

Current Modifications:
Kirban Performance Adjustable FPR
Kirban Performance Rear Seat Reinforcement
Aftermarket Exhaust (I believe it’s A Midas special from the 90s)
Gauges for most of the important stuff (Oil Pressure, WaterTemp. , Boost/Vac, Trans. Temp., and Narrow Band A/F)
Aftermarket Factory-style radiator

The Problems:
-Well, the car doesn’t run because of a bad sensor somewhere… Where, I don’t know, but when it goes back together I’ll slap the Solus on there to see if I can find the problem.
-The mufflers have both rotted out
-There is still a catalyic converter on there for some reason…
-Broken exhaust hanger
-Bad/Dryrotted vacuum lines… everywhere
-Bad Fuel pump with poor voltage
-No Posi/LSD (or it’s broken but I believe the VIN code said it didn’t have one)
-No Floor Mats
-25 Y/O NYLON TIMING GEAR FTMFL - Sounds like a bunch of bent valves waiting to happen

The Plan:
Well, I admit I have already started on this, but I can put up pics of what I have done so far. I am dismantling the obvios fail on the car, which is basically the maze of vacuum lines and such as well as removing the nylon timing gear out of the equation and freshening up the TC gaskets. The turbo charger is off and the lovely GM Fuel Filter fitting had seized onto the line so I twisted it up like a twizzler… I have since replaced it with a stainless braided AN piece to hopefully combat that from ever happening as well as add some style under there. I have also taken the liberty of replacing all the 5/32 and 7/32 vac lines that so eloquently fit under and around everything just so you can’t get to them. Now to the real list:

-Replace Fuel Pump - Holley 190 LPH
-Kirban Performance Fuel Pump Hotwire Kit (this actually raises the voltage to the pump from like 10 to 13 volts)
-Edelbrock Single Roller timing set - Has 2 metal gears and not just 1!
-Replace Factory Temp Sending unit - Only because it sucks to have a 10 dollar part fail that’s hard to get to.
-Add Posi Rear - Lock Right 10 Bolt Drop In.
-Mufflers - Not too sure who to go with for those
-Snow Performance Water Methanol Injection (An interesting fact about these cars of this year range - They were designed to have this type of system on there, but I assume they lost faith in people actually refilling the tanks so the chemical intercooling was scrapped and these went out as a non intercooled car.)
-Art-Carr Shift Kit
-Aluminum Differential Cover - My father in-law actually got this for me for X-mas

There will be more to come, but I’ve limited myself to a budget for now.

http://www.gearheadny.com/images/vehicles/gn/gnb.jpg

damn, that looks like a sick car. Good luck with the project man!

I wish petraznik would do some thing with his 87

Thanks guys! Yeah, raznik just doesn’t care anymore does he?

sweet gn, gbodys FTW

Sweet project GN, those cars are so badass!

I guess not.I tried to buy it from him but no go. Good luck with your build

Thanks guys, I’m working on some before pics right now, so I’ll put up a few in a minute. I’ve wanted to do this for a long time and here goes! Glad to see some G-Body love!

nothin but g-body love from me dawg, i own 2 myself :ninja

BOUT TIME! the GN is so baller lol. she deserves a good build. have fun bro.

OK, here’s a few pics I got before the battery died on the camera.

Are you going to intercool it?

Awsome man!

I really have some serious respect for grand nationals, I’ve loved them for years, and if I wasnt poor I’d buy one… a friend of mine dad had one, never drove it, literaly once a month on a sunday, hed start it up, drive it around the neightborhood and park it, to this day i think its still only got under 20kmi on it.

I used to love hearing him drive that thing, it sounded soooo nice I think it had an aftermarket exhaust… Never knew exactly what it was till i got into cars, now im like wow I shoulda stole it

All she needs is some tender loving care, a few hours here and there, some polish and a rattle can for some of the under parts, shell be as good as new

hey look my civic is outside your parents house lol

its about time you worked on it ive known you like 6-7 years and like th only thing ive seen you do to this thing is wash and wax and put those gauges in …

and you better intercool it

No intercooler for this one. I’d like to but if I wanted to change the setup to an 86/87 it would take too much $$$ and time finding the setup. Given my budget I’ll take what was supposed to be in there from the factory and water-methanol inject it. With that I should be in really good shape and it should make it a little safer to run high boost. Maybe I’ll fabricate some pipes to intercool it this summer that leave the turbo in the stock location.

These cars are really a classic and something a lot of people look over. Glad to see that some people remember these things!

No Intercooler Yet! Maybe later this year or next… get your ass over here!

:gay2

Nice project, I love these cars!

I wondered if you still had this thing. I remember when you first got it. Wow, I can’t believe it was that long ago! I remember we looked into an intercooler setup when you first had it and determined it was a bitch.
Glad to see you are working on it and look forward to seeing the finished product.
Burnouts in front of your parents house… LOL. Your neighbors had to hate us back then… Good times.

God damn’t intercool it naow