the hill is at it again

Hill leaders to take arena concerns to city school board
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
By Rich Lord, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Their push for neighborhood benefits stalled, Hill District leaders plan to take their arena concerns to the Pittsburgh Public Schools and City Council, starting with a bid tonight to keep the Penguins out of the middle schools.

City school board member Mark Brentley Sr., who represents the Hill and supports neighborhood demands, said he wants to postpone a vote set for tonight’s board meeting on a Penguins’ plan to have team officials and staff talk with students about career choices.

“My concern is the timing,” Mr. Brentley said yesterday. He said he didn’t want to create the impression “that we’re aiding one party or another party” in the contentious talks.

The move comes as negotiations toward a community benefits agreement, or CBA, appear to have slowed. The One Hill Community Benefits Coalition wants development funding, first dibs on jobs for Hill residents, a grocery store and community center, more park space and input into a neighborhoodwide plan as conditions for building the arena there.

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said on Jan. 14 that One Hill, the city and Allegheny County were “90 percent of the way there.” Yesterday, though, both sides said a deal was weeks away, in part because the mayor and county Chief Executive Dan Onorato will be in Europe for most of the rest of the month on a marketing trip.

Mr. Onorato’s spokesman said talks can continue in the leaders’ absence.

“Nothing is scheduled,” said Carl Redwood, leader of One Hill. “In my estimation, I can’t see anything happening for a few weeks now.”

“This agreement is something that’s going to be used and referred to for decades and decades, so we want to make sure it’s done right,” said Mr. Ravenstahl.

One Hill will meet Monday at 6 p.m. at the Hill House to plot a strategy to win an agreement, said Mr. Redwood.

Tonight’s flash point is a resolution allowing the Penguins to send staff into nine schools to talk about the tie between education and jobs. Some of the presentations are to be conducted by Ron Porter, a senior consultant for the team who has been its public voice on the CBA issue.

“It just doesn’t look so good,” said Mr. Brentley, adding that he backs “the Penguins and their involvement in our community. … You could’ve done this in the beginning of the school year, or in the beginning of the hockey season.”

The proposal “has nothing to do with arena negotiations,” said team spokesman Tom McMillan. “We think it’s a great program for our employees to reach out to kids in the middle schools, and we hope they will pass it.”

One Hill didn’t strenuously oppose a Jan. 14 city planning commission vote on the arena master plan, which passed 5-3. The coalition, though, will “oppose all arena construction activity until we have an agreement,” said Mr. Redwood.

Mr. McMillan said the team intends to start excavation and foundation work in late spring, and building in early summer.

“I firmly believe we’ll have an agreement before construction begins,” said Mr. Ravenstahl.

One Hill has submitted 45 petition signatures demanding a City Council hearing on community benefits and is weighing when to have the hearing. Council has no role in arena approvals, but could apply public pressure.

“I see [an agreement] happening,” said Councilwoman Tonya Payne, who represents the Hill. “There’s no turning back.”

what in the world does the pens going to talk to kids about job oportunities have to do with the hill! that group is a bunch of extorsionists. so now they want a bunch of kids to miss out because no one wants to build a supermarket in a place where it will just get ripped off? my best friend is from there and he totally against what these people are doin. “giving them what they want will never turn them into anything better than what they already are” and thats coming from a black man.

What a joke.

It’s the hill…who cares? Nobody in their right mind goes over there…and nobody in their right mind needs to listen to the bs coming out of there

x 80 billion

want everything handed to them…you fucked the hill…not the Pens fault…assholes.

fuck the hill. I wouldn’t give them anything.

Doesn’t suprise me.

:rolleyes:

bunch of whiners.

They should be honored that the Penguins are building such a facility in their slum neighborhood. Unfortunately, city leaders are obligated to accommodate all of it’s tax paying citizens.

Cutty, your friend is right. Giving these people what they demand will in no way better their community. They have to do that themselves.

build them a supermarket so they can rob it? like the staples in east lib… just opened last fall…its thinkin about closing becasue its getting picked clean. you can’t help people who dont want to change.

x2

sad thing is they will probably get what they want

they learn from jackson and sharpton… gimmie what i want or i’ll call you racist. EXTORTION!!!

If it was a basketball team going there…

What, there’d be fucking riots after every game because someone stepped on someone else’s Pumas?

:crying: :crying: :crying:

:greddy:

…the members of One Hill would be out there with shovels helping the bulldozers.

I just don’t understand what the desire is to have all this shit just given to the Hill District. I drove through there the other day because of construction (big fucking surprise) going into Oakland on Forbes, and I counted 3 boarded up storefronts in 3 blocks that looked like they were supermarkets at one point.

What have the members of the Hill District done to clean up their neighborhood and prove that these jobs and this new supermarket won’t be doomed like every other business in the area?

It seems like the members of the Hill District are still mad that they had the neighborhood tore down for Mellon Arena building. In the tune of Sharpton/Jackson “The Hill is still oppressed from the destruction of their neighborhood in 1962.” AKA we don’t want to be responsible for our neighborhood so give us help.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I am so tired of the one hill bullshit… I seriously want to go there and scream at all of them for being so fucking lazy… they can take all this time and effort for one hill but I bet 70% of them don’t even have a job!

Fuck the hill… bulldoze it along with everyone on it! Lazy fucking …

what abusing welfare is not a job? lol

I just need to get out of this thread… before I get banned, lol…

I dont have a tolerance for people like that… and this one word keeps coming to mind… but ill just let er go.

Agreed.