the Learning thread.

i thought this might be a good idea

post tips & tricks that you’ve learned about cars, life, the forum, etc…

i’ll start

a little tape will keep sparkplugs from falling out of the socket if it doesnt have the rubber thingy.

also, after a wet compression test, dont be a dumbass like me and start the vehicle inside :facepalm

Assume it blows a bunch of smoke? (trying to learn)

yes, and it smells TERRIBLE. probably doesnt help the lungs out either…

How to you recommend removing the oil after the wet test?

i usually crank the engine over with the plugs out and a rag placed over the holes (if possible) to catch most of what shoots out, then install the plugs, roll it outside, and crank it up to let the rest burn off… it will smoke like crazy, but since you’re outside, no big deal…

my tip- when buying a used engine, ALWAYS pull the plugs, rotate the crank, and pull the intake/valve covers to inspect the valvetrain before handing over money and leaving with it… you still might get screwed, but it is way less likely

also, a locked up engine can be freed with 3 cans of pb blaster sitting in the cylinders overnight (see tip above ^) :facepalm

another tip- dont be afraid to remove parts that are in your way to get to something else… often times, it is faster and easier to just remove stuff, rather than working around it and then finding out you have to remove it anyway (something i learned when my paycheck depended on how quickly i fixed cars)

Dont eat the yellow snow.

This thread is gonna be epic.

agreed and subbed for learning

http://faizanam.squarespace.com/storage/meme.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1311694821317

^ why, yes, yes you are…

George Washington was not the 1st President of the United States

The new country was actually formed on March 1, 1781 with the adoption of The Articles of Confederation. Thus John Hanson was…

However… Washington was the first president of the United States under the Constitution of 1789… but the United States declared its independence 13 years before that.

dont masturbate in your front seat cause pieces of foam will have to be vacumed

Don’t start up a bike with fuel tank propped up unless you want to set things on fire.

When putting something together always do so in a manner where it can easily come back apart. I did this a few times when I was younger and wish I wired or plumbed something with a disconnect or plug…

If you think it is subject to engine harmonics such as crank pulleys, flywheels, clutches, torque converters, ect. A little loctite is cheap insurance.

Always pull the wheels of a new/used car. I always give the threads a little never-seize. A friend of mine was stranded on the side of the road with a flat simply cause he couldn’t break 2 of the 5 lug nuts free. They required some heat and a good impact. We bent his 4 way wrench jumping on one side and jacking up the other prior to driving home on the flat tire.

Never-seize works great on spark plugs as well.

http://icanhasinternets.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/saysex.jpg

im bumpin to get some responses in HURR!

I learned that when people don’t post in a thread, it’s because it sucks.

I learned that I hate dumb people.

I also learned that when you forget to ground your welder and hold on to the part it reminds you that you are dumb.

And that forgetting the ground on the work TIG welding with AC REALLY FREAKIN HURTS when you are holding the work!

I learn that motorcycles are invisible until someone realized that they are about to hit you. :rofl