The OFFICIAL Gun Thread.

We use to spend numerous hours dry firing our M16A2’s while we were snapping on on the range, while I was in the Marine Corps. I know it’s bad for shotguns and older weapons.

Word. Yes I’ve dry fired many times, but I also, since 12 years old, Have NEVER had my finger on the trigger unless I was safely ready to fire.

Since you bolded “fairly” I’ll clarify that I certify annually for my department in pistol, shotgun, and rifle and aside from that my father was a Trooper and taught gun safety my whole life. This isn’t my first rodeo. Like I said, the muzzle was in a designated safe area and there was no live ammunition.

Either way, I’ll give you that it probably should not have been there without a target at least sighted up, so I took it down. Fair call.

:beer Just busting your balls man as I personally DGAF. Take some new pics, The one was against a can right??? how about next to a bill to show the size as it looked pretty compact. BTW your father doesn’t shop at sears does he???

Myth. I sometimes sit and dry fire my pistols for hours while watching tv. It helps break in the trigger and also helps you get better at pulling that trigger. You can learn to remember the trigger so its never snatched and what not.

I’ve heard of people that will dry fire 1911s 500 times before even shooting it to break it in a little before taking it out. It gets a lot of the “shittyness” out of the trigger and even the slide mechanisms

Old guns it could be bad, but that’s what snap caps are for. I wouldnt do it to a old break action gun or anything but the modern pistol or rifle its fine.

I also dry fire any gun when I’m handling it at a shop. Gun may feel great but you need to like the trigger before buying it.

If I recall, it is bad for rimfire firearms to dry fire.

That was my understanding as well.

The most common rimfire gun around is a .22, other than that most guns are center fire.

So long as someone knows to properly check the gun beforehand I really dident see the big issue with this.

I was more concerned when I saw his finger covering the business end. IDK I was always taught loaded or unloaded, do not point and or cover the buisness end of a weapon unless your ready to fuck up whatever its pointing at.

Also in regards to dry firing, i was always told it was bad to dry fire a firearm, but I never saw the harm in it as the pin is not touching anything therefore there would be no premature wear?

same far as I know

It’s a problem when the NoobZ on here, and by reading posts in this thread there is a metric fuck-ton of them on this site who don’t have a clue about guns and/or gun safety and would see that pic and think that it is ok. It is not.

No different that what you posted below, some dumb fuck would be like " durrrr I was always be seein picz of dudz wit fingers on ther triger, must be ok amirtite?" Monkey see, monkey do…

I hear you, I just don’t see the harm in his finger resting on the side of the trigger, its not as if he was in a full on ready to fire grip. I see your point though.

Again, it was a picture in his home and im assuming he checked the weapon before hand. I do think your making a bit of a bigger deal than it needs to be.

and not sure what you meant in regards to my quote and the relation to his finger being on the trigger? Unless you were refering to me telling everyone its okay to dry fire a firearm, which I was not doing, which is why I posted it like a question. I have never seen the harm in it in regards to wearing down the components of a firearm, though I put the question mark meaning I was not 100% sure

Yes rim fire is an exception, as is some shotguns.

D gage is right. Finger should never be in the trigger guard unless your pulling the trigger. Not about to, not thinking I might, when your committed to fire the gun or dry fire it then your finger goes in the trigger guard. Other wise it belongs outside the trigger guard. Don’t matter if it’s loaded, unloaded, half apart, checked and confirmed unloaded by 20 people, ate the range,mat your home. Should be no exceptions, no excuses, no circumstances it’s not ok to have a finger on the trigger or in the trigger guard until your pulling the trigger.

If you get in this habit when someone you think is a robber turns out to be your friend who’s wife kicked him out you prolly won’t shoot him. If your fingers on the trigger before you know it you may shoot even if you realize it’s your friend. It’s a good habit to have and a bad habit not to have and it’s poor And irresponsible gun handling.

This.

Off topic: the 30 round pre ban mag I got for my SKS fucking sucks :rofl:rofl:rofl

Most do Chuck. The integrated mag is reliable as hell, so I wouldn’t use anything else.

My SKS is one of my favorite guns to shoot. Low serial number, great condition, and shoots very well every single time.

Honestly, I didn’t expect much from it. I only bought it because it was easily available to me.

I didn’t expect it to fucking come out every time I fired a round though :rofl
If I hold it in place it shoots fine, but I don’t want to mess around with it like that. :skid

The 10 round box mag will go in until hunting season, then I’ll put the 5 round detachtable mag in. The 5 round mag works flawlessly.

I see your point. for the most part I belive I am quite aware of gun control safety, just never had an issue or was told otherwise if seen resting my finger on the side of the trigger/guard with an unloaded weapon.

FWIW, glad you guys bring certain things like this up, hopefully it keeps people from making careless mistakes or doing something that might make the people your shooting with uncomfortable.

Most definitely. Best way to work yourself out of it is to hold with a closed grip, that is all fingers should be wrapped around the grip. When holding a pistol(right handed) I keep my left thumb over the top of my right pointer(trigger). When the time comes to shoot, left thumb points forward and pointer moves to the trigger.

Some pistols, like the Sig SP220, have a trigger guard that is knurled on the front face of it which allows the non-trigger pointer finger to pull back on and help stabilize the firearm and maintan a solid grip. Still a bad habit to hold the firearm with a finger over this if not shooting, even though it’s designed for such purposes(mostly an LE/CQC thing)

i still havent found one that fits/works good