The OFFICIAL Gun Thread.

I have the same gun, almost. Mine’s the AAC-SD version which has a faster twist barrel so it can stabilize bullets over 175gr with ease, up to 225gr I believe. Before I had that, I had the regular SPS Tactical, and at 300yds I shot 1/3 MOA.

Invest in GOOD glass (SWFA, Vortex, Leupold, Nightforce, S&B, USO, etc…) that has a Front/First Focal Plane. Expect to spend more than the gun cost.

Get good rings and base. I suggest Badger Ordnance if you got the money, though TPS and some other steel pieces will suffice just fine.

Take the barreled action out of the stock, and use sandpaper or a Dremel to shave some of the barrel channel towards the front of the stock out. This will allow you to use a bipod on it without the stock touching the barrel at that point. This is extremely important because when a barrel is free floating, it has a more predictable movement, allowing you to be more consistent and accurate. When something touches the barrel, it has an effect on the barrel harmonics and natural whipping that occurs, which will throw off each shot you take differently than the shot you took before.

That’s the basics for now. Make a little print out of the ballistics of your muzzle velocity for the rounds you’re shooting and the bullet weights, which will predict your drop, wind drift, etc… There’s tons of stuff you can google, and if you’re up for it, develop your own program for it. I have a program on my iPhone that has all of the ballistic coefficients for just about every bullet made today, and it is very useful as it’ll incorporate weather and altitude at your location as that all has an effect.

lets see if i can make a post in the gun thread without being flamed

i want to purchase a gun in the future, probably a year or so from now

as someone who has had an exposure to guns but not someone who has owned one before, should i be looking at a rifle or a shotgun? i intend on using both as range guns, as i have little interest in hunting. in rifles i was looking towards a .22lr or a Mosin Nagant. in shotguns i was looking at the mossberg 500. i would appreciate input and non negative feedback, if that’s possible.

thanks guys.

Mosin will be a much better rifle for a range and target shooting, but ammo will be more expensive.

.22 will be fun to plink around with and you can shoot it all day for $5 but don’t expect nowhere near the accuracy of a nice bolt action Mosin.

No need for a shotgun in your case unless you want to blow up things at close range or have a home defense weapon.

Like cossey said…

Vortex FTW and TPS rings FTW.

i have TPS and would never consider badger ordinance because the price difference does not equal quality difference. TPS get steller reviews. i suggest not spending useless money on leupold or alike hardware.

depending on budget of scope, Nikon is great but isnt FFP.

Thanks for the info!

I actually went into the store looking for the AAC-SD. They didn’t have one but they had a Tac with the 1:10 twist (or maybe it was mislabeled and actually is the AAC).

I got a Redfield scope to start out with. Made by Leupold, but cheaper. I have no idea if it is first focal plane or not though…I’ll have to look it up. I have it mounted with Weaver rings.

I did not know about the barrel hitting the stock with a bi-pod. I’ll have to take it apart and take a look. I do plan on replacing the stock after a little range time. I’ve read that the SPS stocks like to flex. Not sure what I’ll replace the stock with yet.

If your stock is greenish, and the barrel is threaded w/ 1:10" twist, you got the AAC-SD.

I can almost guarantee Redfield isn’t FFP. While it’ll be fine for what you’re doing now, if you plan on doing it regularly, competing, or shooting unknown distances a FFP scope would be ideal. Easiest way to tell if yours is FFP is look through it while zooming in and out. If the reticle doesn’t change scale, then it’s SFP (second focal plane). Also note that FFP/SFP doesn’t matter on fixed power scopes. FFP allows you to calculate distance at any zoom length if you know the size of the target itself. With SFP, your calculations will only be correct at one single zoom level. Our military uses Leupold SFP scopes on virtually every sniper rifle that’s not used by SF, Seals, etc…

Once you get the hang of things, invest in a FFP scope with mil/mil turrets/reticle. If both the reticle and the turretss for windage and elevation are in milliradians, it also makes things a ton easier and faster. Most of the military uses mil-dot reticles with MOA turrets. While it still works fine, somewhere along the process of calculations distance or wind speed they have to convert mils to MOA so they can adjust accordingly.

For stocks, just about anything that’s not rubberized plastic will be better. It all depends on your budget. Don’t be afraid to go overboard, because usually you pay for what you get. I have an Accuracy International AICS 1.5 which is pretty perfect. It takes very durable and reliable detachable box mags, has adjustable check weld and length of pull, mounting point for a Harris bipod or their own bipod made by VersaPod which clicks in and out of the front of the stock in one second. Your old stock and bottom metal will prolly sell for around $75-90.

https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/hr227

check out bill hr 227

The barrel is threaded and the stock is kind of a gray green. Sounds like I got the AAC-SD. The scope is a fixed power, so I don’t have to worry about plane for now. I was looking at the gun last night and trying to figure out how to separate the the stock from the barreled action. Didn’t see any obvious way to do it. Is this something I’ll have to take it to a gunsmith to do? EDIT: Nevermind, googled it. Looks super easy.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/03/foghorn/breaking-ny-solicitor-general-on-safe-act-judiciary-branch-has-no-power-over-legislative-executive/

BREAKING: NY on SAFE Act: Judiciary Has No Power Over Legislative, Executive Branches

The Honorable Senator John Cornyn, State of Texas
United States Senate
517 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510

Re: Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and that agencies preparation for war against citizens of the United States of America

Dear Senator Cornyn,

It is with gravest concern that I write to you today concerning the recent appropriation of weapons by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) that can only be understood as a bold threat of war by that agency, and the Obama administration, against the citizens of the United States of America. To date, DHS has been unwilling to provide to you, the elected representatives of the People, justification for recent purchases of almost 3,000 mine-resistant ambush-protected (MRAP) armored personnel carriers, 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition (with associated weapons), and other weapons systems, when, in fact, the DHS has no war mission or war making authority within the limits of the United States of America.

Significant is the fact that at the same time the Obama administration is arming his DHS for war within the limits of the United States against the People of the United States in accordance with his 2008 campaign speech claiming,

“We cannot continue to rely only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we’ve set. We’ve gotta (sic) have a civilian national security force that’s just as powerful, just as strong, just as well funded [as the United States military]”–Candidate Barack Obama, 2008.
The Obama administration is deliberately defunding, overextending, and hollowing the Department of Defense; the only legitimate agency of the U.S. government with a war mission.

This act of the Obama administration stands as a glaring threat of war against our nation’s citizens!
This act of the Obama administration can only be understood as a tyrannical threat against the Constitution of the United States of America! If left unresolved, the peace loving citizens who have sworn to defend the United States Constitution “against all enemies, both foreign and domestic” are left no option except to prepare to defend themselves, and the U.S. Constitution, against this Administration’s “coup” against the People and the foundations of liberty fought for and defended for the past 238 years. We have no choice if we honor our oaths.

The only proper response to this threat against the American people is for the representatives of the People, the members of the U.S. House and Senate, to demand in clear terms that the Administration cannot ignore, that the Department of Homeland Security immediately surrender their newly appropriated weapons of war to the Department of Defense (DoD).Further, since the DHS has assumed a position in the Administration to enforce the tyrannical acts of this president against the People of the United States against the limits of the United States Constitution, it remains for the United States Congress to exercise its limiting power in the balancing of powers established by our founding fathers, to disestablish and dissolve the DHS as soon as possible. One needs only to look to the rise of Adolf Hitler, and his associated DHS organizations, the SA and the SS, of 1932-1934, to see the outcome of allowing an agency of government this kind of control over the free citizens of a nation. The people of Germany could not have imagined, until it was too late, the danger of allowing a tyrant this kind of power. We must not be so naïve as to think it will not happen to us as well if we remain passive toward this power grab by the Marxist Obama administration!

Finally, for more than two centuries the nation has lived in peace at home because of the protections of our legitimate military and the many appropriate state and federal law enforcement agencies, supported by Constitutional courts. We stand today at a cross-road. Will we allow this present Administration to overthrow our United States Constitution and its legal processes to amend injustices, or, will we honor our obligations to defend the Constitution against a “domestic” enemy? Our Constitution lays out the proper methods of resolving our differences; and it does not include its overthrow by a rogue agency of a Marxist leadership at home. You, sir, are our constitutionally elected agent to defend our Constitution at home. We are counting upon you. We remain aware, however, of this present threat and will not expose ourselves as an easy prey to the authors of the destruction of our nation.

I know that this letter demands much of you. We elected you because we, the citizens of the State of Texas, believe that you are up to the task at hand and will, against all threats, honor your oath and office. We are also writing to your fellow members of the House and Senate to stand in integrity with the Constitution and against this present threat by the Obama administration and his DHS.
We refuse to surrender our Constitution or our nation!
Resolved,
Captain Terry M. Hestilow
United States Army, Retired
Fort Worth, Texas
March 23, 2013

Adam, I thought we talked about things like this :rofl

Posting playing devils advocate myself for a bit :lol

One thing I DO think is relative to this is that it COULD be a sly form of gun control by the O-Admin.

Think this way…DHS places huge orders for ammunition that is obviously not needed, but what does it accomplish? The companies with the contracts that are filling these orders only have so much production capability and to maintain the contact are required to put prodcution fully to the specified calibers(in this case mainly 9mm and 40/45 PISTOL calibers) This does two things:

1. it limits the availability of those said calibers, because the companies are putting nearly 90% of production into filling the orders.

2. because they must keep up with those specific caliber orders, they have to ramp down production of other calibers(IE .223, .243, etc, etc)that the public normally uses(mind you nothing even remotely military related.

Not to mention that a majority of this ammunition has been small/medium caliber pistol ammo as well as hollow point, the latter of the two being banned from use for the military use for some time now.

This puts a supply/demand strain on the limited ammo out for retail sale. Many have said, what use is a gun that you have no bullets to shoot from…

Do I believe DHS is planning some ridiculous strike against the public. No. You and I have discussed this in detail before and their losses on so many levels would far exceed any benefit they have to gain from it, and that’s a big IF they could even get the man power to pull it off… Buuuuut do I think there’s a possibility that Obama may be using the DHS as a backdoor variant of gun control without coming out full bore with legislation in the public eye, which as we have seen here has proven ill-fated for our tyrantasaurus…yeah I kinda do.

I would first check to see the manufacturer companies and see whether or not they have donated to the Obama campaign in order to get these generous orders.

“Gun control” is a silly mission across the board as its a dog and pony show. If they really were against guns for the sake of them being guns, they would ban shotguns too as you can kill plenty walking around with a 12ga. As far as federal level is concerned they are attempting things that wont pass to please the public voice due to recent events.

What Cuomos story is, I still have no idea, however I’d still follow the money as that is the single biggest motivator for any politician, especially if his actions anger voters such as the case here…

Man I love fact checking the outrageous claims

Sorry by the MRAP’s story is no good

Defense.gov: Contracts for Monday, January 09, 2012
No. 015-12
CONTRACT: NAVY http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/img/gus_802/2013/03/04/DOD.png
Navistar Defense, L.L.C., Warrenville, Ill., is being awarded an $879,923,195 firm-fixed-priced delivery order 0023 under previously awarded contract (M67854-07-D-5032) for the procurement of 2,717 units of rolling chassis; 10 engineering change proposals; and 25 contract data requirements lists, for MaxxPro Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicles. Work will be performed in West Point, Miss., and is expected to be completed by the end of October 2013. Procurement funds in the amount of $879,923,195 will expire at the end of the current fiscal year. The original contract was competitively procured. The Marine Corps Systems Command, Quantico, Va., is the contracting activity.

An earlier version of this post included a figure of over 2,700 vehicles, as cited from the original RT link. This figure likely comes from a press release from Navistar Defense, mentioning delivery of 2,717 to the U.S. Marine Corps. A DHS Spokesman confirmed with Business Insider that they have only 16 nationwide.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/41713_Fact_Checking-_Obama_DHS_Purchases_2700_Light-Armored_Tanks

[ame=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2wBiG3LCx0”]Jessie Duff + semi-autos & pistols = gold. - YouTube[/ame]

http://gawker.com/5992728/an-x+mas-card-with-a-check-for-a-gun-and-1000-rounds-of-ammo-among-objects-confiscated-from-sandy-hook-shooters-home

An X-Mas Card with a Check for a Gun and 1,000 Rounds of Ammo Among Objects Confiscated from Sandy Hook Shooter’s Home

The shooter took his own life with a single shot from a Glock 10 mm handgun. He also had a loaded 9mm Sig Sauer P226 handgun on his person. Recovered from the person of the shooter, in addition to more ammunition for the handguns, were three, 30-round magazines for the Bushmaster, each containing 30 rounds. Located in the area of the shootings were six additional 30-round magazines containing 0, 0, 0, 10, 11, and 13 live rounds respectively. One-hundred-and-fifty-four spent .223 casings were recovered from the scene.

It is currently estimated that the time from when the shooter shot his way into the school until he took his own life was less than five minutes.

The police found a loaded 12-gauge shotgun in the passenger compartment of the car the shooter drove to the school. The shotgun was moved by police from the passenger compartment of the car to the trunk for safekeeping.

The guns used in the shootings were apparently all purchased by the shooter’s mother. There is currently no indication that the shooter attempted to purchase the guns and was denied. The gun locker at 36 Yogananda St. was open when the police arrived. It was unlocked and there was no indication that it had been broken into.

Screen shots of other confiscated items are in the screens shots.

lol’ing at this one.

Vlad, you know if you do this stuff they’re gonna come a knocking :rofl

http://gunssavelives.net/blog/40-atf-agents-raid-home-of-youtube-gun-personality-fpsrussia/

Do your thing vlad and dig up the nitty gritty please :slight_smile:

There is no nitty gritty to this as far as I’m concerned and you can hold it at its face value.

Consider it a “business inspection” since there is no other oversight for his million dollar business of playing with guns and explosives.

He checked out ok, so essentially he gets a stamp of approval.

The comments on the other hand baffle me. Our “tyrannical government” must be really weak if they organize and entire raid and fail to find bullshit excuse or plant any evidence to shut down his business and show while they are “coming to take your guns away”

Weakest dictatorship ever.