The OFFICIAL Gun Thread.

That’s sweet!

so i was at dicks earlier today just looking at prices and stuff, but half their staff is utterly useless when it comes to guns.

my question for right now is: can i find a mossberg 88 in something smaller than 12 gauge?
the whole reason i want a shotgun is because ive been skeet/trap shooting before and enjoy it more than stationary targets. buuuuut, 12 gauge seems like it would get really tiring really fast, and i wouldnt be able to fire as many shells in a day as i would if it were 16, 18, or 20.
maybe it doesnt make a difference. input por favor?

Get a .410

My problem with that is that it would be nearly useless if I ever took it hunting or put the short barrel on it for a h/d gun. Im probably Wrong, but I’m not the expert here.

Use a 12 gauge or you will hate trap because 20 gauge or 410 makes it that much harder to hit birds. Buy a trap gun, not a mossberg.

Get the 12 gauge and a padded shooting jacket.

so i should get a double barrel instead of a pump action?

Just buy a god damn Mossberg 500 with a door breach barrel and enjoy the fuck out of it.

jsenclosures is selling an hk 12 ga for 400, great gun, great price, buy it and be done, my brother has a maverick 88, decent gun but not exactly a pleasure to shoot. quit pussyfooting around and dive the fuck in.

I have a biased opinion, but I always say go with a remington 870. Normally you can find them used cheap and the same goes for different barrels since he will definetly want a long barrel to shoot trap and a shorter one for H/D use if he wants 1 firearm for both purposes.

i have given up on the idea of a do-it-all weapon, tring to have a shotgun for defense and trap seems to me like trying to have a short barreled ar-15 to use for tactical close quarters room clearing that you plan to punch paper at 800 yards with, the 870 is a nice option as well though.

this

I have the h&k for home defense (for sale), a 1100 for trap/skeet and deer, and a benelli supernova in duck camo for waterfoul (because it takes 3.5"). I have a 410 that I use for partridge, I like it a lot better than the 12gauge because it doesn’t get a lot of shot in the breast.

a 870 is a good option though. you can get a short barel and tact it out and also have a long barrel for trap/skeet/birds and another slug barrel for deer. I’d recommend getting something that will take 3.5" shells if you only have one shotgun though. you can use 3" or 2 3/4 in a gun that will take 3.5 but not the other way around

I defend my house with my fists

and a potato cannon

the cat is sort of a dick too

For trap, yes I prefer break action guns. It depends on the level of shooting you plan to do. A good trap gun you can shoot 300 rounds in a row and your shoulder won’t be sore, a maverick your shoulder would be sore after 75.

Only thing is a good trap gun is expensive… My last one was worth $1500-$2000 easily. I’ve seen and shot some that are $4000 - $10,000.

Try to find a old Winchester Model 12, it’s a pump but I’ve shot some trap with one before and they are hammers. You want an old one, find one that’s beat up and buy it for 400-500 and you can refinish it and they sell new wood on eBay that’s gorgeous.

Do not try to shoot trap with a self defense shotgun.

what makes the difference in kick? i thought it was just the rounds being used and not the gun using them.
and yeah i wouldnt try shooting trap with a short barrel like that.

The better quality the gun, the less kick.

never would’ve guessed.

My Benelli M4 is like shooting a .308 for the most part. Very light for a 12ga.

my dream shotgun, fuck the unsafe act, but also the m4 is in a class of it’s own, not only is it high quality, but its also a piston driven gun, couple the recoil characteristics of a piston with benellis recoil mitigation (redirects it into the pistol grip) and you have nothing less than prefection in the form of a 12 ga shotgun, unfortunately funds were not permitting me to get one in time before the act was rammed down our throats by our so-called representatives. if/when the act is thrown out as unconstitutional i’d be glad to buy it off of you if you plan to sell it ever.

Oakwood trading post has one for sale. No pistol grip stock installed original comes in the box.