The power of on-line car communities

I just figured i had to post this somewhere for discussion.

Preface: I work for CARSTAR Canada and our HR dept. has had some failed attempts at filling certain key positionsin the company this year.

in particular, our alberta market development manager quit this year and the replacement for her gave us the run around and also quit before starting… twice.

anyways…

i took it upon myself to put the word out and try to recruit staff corporately and in the franchise locations through the Nissan forums that i am an active sponsor or merchant on across Canada.

i just found out that we are flying in the guy who started the Alberta forum from Alberta into Hamilton to our head office for a second interview.

so from an internet post on a nissan car club it looks like i’ll have filled a $70k+ position (+ car + travel + expense account) for the company and given a dude a pretty serious career change for the better.

i’ve never even met the guy… i just have him on msn, sold him some stuff years ago and bought advertising from him in 2006.

neato stuff.

2-3 of the other dozen or so resumes procured through the forums are in the interview stage in various franchises now as well.

i swear to god… it’s 2008, and the internet is more important than real life.

the corporate job fair that was advertised in the Toronto Star only got 7 resumes… no hires…

the internet makes networking so much easier.

Plain and simple.

absolutely. if i didn’t have the internet, my job would be so much more difficult.

yep… i have brought a whole bunch people to ingram…

i brought evolve here, and i wouldnt know or like his dumb ass if it wasnt for ubrf…

The key issue here is that we all know this, but it is not being harnessed by many employers.

workoplois postings and news papers are not enough.

more importantly though… DO NOT KEEP YOUR STAFF OFF THE INTERNET

I was asked to participate in a meeting at corporate to determine whether the company should revisit its policy and look at restricting internet usage in the office.

I said that i have no problem being quoted that, as i stated above:

“It’s 2008. The internet is more important than real life”

I did not have to attend the meeting and there has been no change in the policy.

love you too sweetheart. your finders fee check is coming soon, make sure you take me out

Word, e-thuggin’ for lyfe

Cool story. :tup:

yea the intraweb is truly the quickest link between one person and their computer and the rest of the world.

you’re all shooting off the mark.

internet coolness is over there… on-line car communities and hooking each other up is where you want to center your comments please.

pretty damn cool

:tup:

noice

I will most likely supplement this with proof over the next month… the internet DOES make networking far more simple.

:tup:

The people I’ve met on here and the people I’ve never met that have helped me over the years even not knowing me, are some pretty decent people who I’ll try to help whenever I can.Heck I even let one I never met borrow my new truck to kill hookers in Philly.
D

:tup: to the internets.

This very forum landed me my current job and got me the hell out of Wegmans

shit Bing, you shoulda PMed me, I’d have moved to Canadia :smiley: