The UB student that was shot recently...

I live in the area by where this happened, more so towards Lincoln Park if any of you are familar with that area, but even we have noticed a change in the crowd of our neighborhood, the closer you get towards main street…the worse it gets. It’s just upsetting that it’s making its way into what used to be a good place to live.

They should go to the police, maybe they can help.

Can’t wait to live in that neighborhood at the end of this month. :banghead:

That will never happen. They overcharge for the quality of the houses as it is. Too many people live in that area to party and not worry about the condition of the house they are living in whatsoever. Some of the houses in University heights are simply disgusting pieces of shit that are on the brink of being condemned yet people live in them, and pay for it. All in the name of partying.

Go outside of WNY and look at the colleges. The standard of student living in the heights is atrocious. MOST students have parents paying for the housing anyways. Not like the students really care about the costs. When student loans and/or mommy and daddy are paying, students could care less. Most individual students usually pay no more than a few hundred per month for their rooms when living in the heights. How is that overcharging?

The students ARE willing to pay for On-Capmus apartments AS WELL AS the apartments at Sweet Home. Both of those are MUCH NICER conditions as well as much higher prices. Yet they still fill all of those apartments. If you put that standard of living on Main Street where there are bars and eateries close, you can hit a home run.

Oh I agree with you. And I’ve seen plenty of other colleges outside of WNY that are much nicer. And yes some of the houses there are overpriced as they should not be allowed to rent them at all sometimes. I gagged a few times when I was looking for houses in that area but finally got something decent on Montrose. The landlords are well aware of the fact that the houses they rent are probably going to get trashed, and treat them accordingly. It’s unfortunate, but it would take A LOT to actually change.

And parents may not be as willing to pay for an apartment when they know it’s as expensive as on-campus apartments yet no where near the kids classes. But I do see your point there.

Maybe if a big business came into the situation to turn around a hole block things would change. But who wants to invest money in Buffalo.

If they take the initial steps to fix them up, they can set the rent higher, and then thus be able to afford to patch holes and clean carpets and stuff between tennants.

It is about the fact that the landlords don’t give a shit about providing a QUALITY living space. They would rather just drop the rents to dirt cheap and long as they can still collect, they will leave the place as-is. It’s just not ethical business. They should be spending the time and money, and they will be able to re-coop it.

It will/can/does work.

Uh, are you kidding?

Cloud 9?

The bar that was the reincarnation of cloud 9?

People got stabbed and shit 3 times, minimum.

It just amazes me that that area is allowed to operate the way it does when UB is right there.

Cloud 9 was kind of off the beaten path, and over by minnesota.

FUCKING YES!!!

The school has abandoned it though. Their goals shifted to developing the Amherst campus A LONG TIME AGO. They are going to be forced out of demand to deal with the University heights though. They cannot turn a blind eye to a student getting shot. No point in graduating students if they are just going to get shot dead the next day.

+1

Especially also there are some pretty nice areas very close. I agree that the landlords should be making the places nicer and raising rent however it just is not in their interest as investors to do so typically. Well that and they simply do not care enough to put the time and resources in.

UB needs to put the pressure on the landlords. They have A LOT of power in the community. More power than most people realize.

Which is why Mollys is gone…

NYSpeed group buy? Let’s buy Englewood. lol

Cloud 9 doesn’t count. I lump that in with birchfield’s.
And it’s not on the landlords to do anything but maximize their profits. The main tenant group in that area is not willing to pay extra for quality. Quality costs extra. You can’t turn the heights into a lot full of Benzes, when their main customers are looking at Aveos. That means if you have a Benz for sale there, you either take Aveo prices, find the RARE customer where it works, or it sits there.

Umm I for one want to… I’ve got a thorough business plan developed to own rental properties in the Buffalo / UB South area…after damages and all, can make 20-30% per year return, pretty damn amazing. Buffalo’s a top 5 real estate rental market in the country.

They carry a certain amount of responsibility in the area. UB could and should, along with city leaders and police, make it real uncomfortable for most of the landlords there.

I’m not saying that they should turn it into luxury living. If they just do general maintenance, and keep the premises clean then they can bump the cost up MAYBE $100/room. That turns into(in a duplex) another $600/month on a whole house. Do that, and the poor people/riff raff will be move out a bit and stop taking over. It will not completely eliminate it, but it will bring it back to where it was 5/6 years ago, which was acceptable.

Canisius faces the same problems, being in the hood, but on a slightly smaller scale. If there weren’t a million zoning issues and every old shitty house wasnt a landmark, I proposed buying up and leveling the whole neighborhood and building a Sweet Home style luxury apartment village. Only thing is, the students are part of the problem with the shitty housing, not the solution. They’re usually the ones who shit it up and lower its quality.