The Word Audi ?

Anyone know the correct pronunciation of the word Audi.
I have heard it two ways and for lack of a better way to show it here…
AUD-E and OUT-E
Anyone know which is right? I always asumed that one was the German way and one was the American way. But I still say it both ways depending on who I am around. Only because you will always get that one retard in a group who will say, " OUT-E? I got an IN-E, ha ha" followed by me walking away.

its audi. not adie.

there is a u in it…

hrm

i dont think adie was one of the choices

:bloated:

oow-dee is the proper german pronunciation

it is NOT pronounced like it is in “auditorium”

I agree. At home in the NYC area that’s the only way I heard it. It’s only after I came up here with your wierd WNY accents that every one says it like Auudi. It’s not a cute pet teddy bear! :wink:

people pronounce it like that. aadie. is that better? get it now?

Wrong.

The germans don’t say Oww, it’s more like the Au in Australia, not owstralia…but rather Auhstralia
So its more like this… It’s hard to put it into words, ask me and ill pronounce it at mighty or w/e. (I’m the guy with the 03 accord coupe…)

Aadie is wrong too, they don’t hold the a that long.

Correct: Auh-dee (say it fast…)

Ja, der Audi ist ein gutes auto.

How is BMW pronounced, heh?
P.S. I lived in Germany for 10 years…

owdee not awedee.

the second one is the hacked american way of saying it. they say it correctly in audi commercials.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1056236554268488667&q=the+unfair+advantage

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7806678189018823475&q=audi+commercial

they don’t say “Audi” in this, but it kind of rules

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4707552944795910583&q=audi+commercial

Should have asked me when i was up at mighty with somedude. I was the one that almost kicked the ones guys ass for talking shit about Germany and Europe in general right in front of me.

that is more correct than what i said.

ich liebe mein audi

The correct pronounciation is in this video at 2minutes 44 seconds

“Die schanze hoch hat es der Audi komplett aus eigenem…”
Dee shahnzeh hohh haht es dehr Auh-dee…

I hope that helps

thats exactly how i was saying its pronounced, lol

ive heard plenty of german immigrants say it, ive heard audi reps say it, and everyone at the dealership knows the proper way to say it too. it wouldnt be good for biz to have had a salesman say the name wrong to a german customer looking to buy one …

The correct pronunciation rhymes with howdy.

Ich mochte ein Audi, aber Ich fahre mit eine Volkswagen. Es kostet nicht viel und es ist gut, aber nicht sehr gut wie ein Audi.

Man it’s been a while. I was pretty good at German in high school. Got a 100 on the regents, but then used it once in the last 7 years to communicate with an oxygen compressor company in Germany. I crapped out a similar pile of Deutsch expressing my interest in a kompressor. Thank God they replied in English.

Anyhow, In the German language, ‘au’ = ‘ow’ As in Blaupunkt (you don’t pronounce it blahpunkt do you?)

Not too bad, just a few mistakes…

100’s on regents or tests are not a good way to tell if you are fluent. The ultimate test is to listen to some german music, hip hop for example. If you understand that, then you are good. Im not saying you suck, its just that a lot of people say they know german very fluently, but when i play them a song, they don’t understand a word.

oww-dee. i said it wrong once or twice and got yelled at by jam and Dex.

Auh differs from Ow (owh). It needs the AUH.
If the ow sounds the same as Auh, then its correct. This would be so much easier in person…

Here is a german hip hop video…

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zXGTRdDjPug

Die Fantastischen Vier- Sie ist Weg
translated
The fantasic four- She is gone

If you understand every word, then you are good at german.

To all the Audi, VW, BMW drivers…you got the german car, you got the german license plate, all you need is the german music.

Haha yeah I was by no means fluent, and by now I’ll say I suck :P. Doing well on the regents left me with the feeling that if I got dropped in the middle of Munich I could find my way around, survive. Carrying on a conversation? Only if the other person was fluent in English. :smiley:

This is tough to do on the internet. If the keyboard had some goofy characters and everybody else knew phonetics it’d be easy. (I’m engaged to a Speech Path grad student that I started dating the middle of her freshman year. I think I know enough of that stuff to qualify for an Associated degree. :P)

Haha cruising around cranking the 'Hoff! :tup:

It’s that damn “au” that gets everyone. When people take a stab at my last name after reading it almost never think it is 2 syllables. On the off chance they do think it is 2, I always get an incorrect “au” sound.

When I was student teaching, I introduced myself to classes by telling them that my last name rhymed with “Audi”

I had to modify the statement and make sure that I let the students know that I meant the automaker after a group of sixth graders asked if I meant “the belly button.”