The Word Audi ?

The word “Audi” is Latin, not German. When August Horch lost the battle against his old car company over the Horch name, he settled for the latin translation–Audi.

Despite this, “au” is still a diphthong. There are still two vowels. It should be pronounced as you would say “house” in English. If you listen to yourself (<–hehe) say the word, you will notice that you can make a slight distinction between the two vowels that make up the diphthong. I love this stuff.

And living in a country does not make a person an expert in the language. Look at how many people in America can’t speak proper English, yet are quick to point out that they want it as their official language. Look at how many people that speak Italian and think their language is the closet to Latin, when in fact Spanish retains all of the verb tenses. Aha!

http://www.learn-latin-language-software.com/phrases/player.html?le15.au

I didn’t say it makes someone an expert, but it sure is a huge advantage.

Example 1: Two students, both have 5 years to learn german. One lives in germany, the other lives in the US and takes classes in school. Even if the student in the US take 10 years of classes he won’t be a better speaker than the guy in Germany.

Example 2:
I came to the US in November 1999, i learned english in 3 years, just by being exposed to it. If I would be taught english in germany i would never be at the level that i am now.

From me writing here on nyspeed, can you tell that english is my 3rd language?

First: Croatian (Born in Croatia)
Second: German (Moved to Germany in 1990)
Third: English (Moved to the US)
Fourth: some Spanish (Took 4 years of Spanish in US)

Nobody said that it’s a German word, it has no meaning in german.
It’s about the pronounciation that the germans use.

That sounds totally wrong… He says it as Auh-tee, he makes the D sounds like a T, which is not right.
There is no long pause between the Auh and the dee.

Time for sleep…

yeah you definately got heated from that. I was wondering when you were going to speak up. :tup: for keepiing your cool though no reason to fight about somehting like that.

Its not as if he meant it.We talk smack about people all the time up there and make fun of different colored people.Of course we wouldnt say it to there face if they were there.It was funny as hell though.I never heard a better example of irony,EVER.

Oh dear. That’s because he’s speaking Latin, not a German person speaking Latin. :wink:

And I know the “t” is faint. I’m not sure what’s going on there.

And you write English very well. :slight_smile:

Bah-row-ken ?

jerk :cry:

I just have quattro envy…

Speaking of German music, is fun to cruise around listening to Rammstein.

Damn you beat me to it. :frowning:

boooo.

:tdown:

I knew it! How did I know? Your posts aren’t full of grammatical errors and bad habits! :stuck_out_tongue:

(For the record I had no clue.)

the correct way to pronounce anything is with a heavy boston accent.

this shit is retahhhhded

Thats a pissahh.

He just kept on going with it after he made his point. But its all good…

it’s all mcshit, just order

i just talked to my friend who lives in germany…

M i C a H | says:
hey how is AUdi pronounced there
M i C a H | says:
AU-DEE or OW-DEE
Oliver says:
it depends on how you pronounce AU or OW but I´d say its AU-DEE
Oliver says:
Au like in OUCH
M i C a H | says:
lol i was gonna say OW like OUCH
Oliver says:
lol