theres nothing to see here.

vette, although I might be a bit biased. :slight_smile: The only downside i could see is that there are more on the road…

FYI:

Down here tons of porche guys rip out the AWD because it sucks.

I’d go porche if you want to turn(aka work on it all the time) it into a street/track beast.

Vette for reliability and simplicity. I have a 550whp vette with no problems and I beat it like a ginger.

I have also been thinking about porches, but the exclusivity is not worth the price in my eyes. I’d rather save up a little more and buy something else.

What are you looking to spend? 40k?

One of my next dream cars:
http://images1.ecarlist.com/photos/1015_282898/800/137.jpg

996 cars never break honestly, look around with owners. other than the fluids and parts being more expensive it’s not going to be broke down like an audi. bi annual brake fluid flush, 10-15k oil change routine, and they’re tough on tires, errr the drivers are at least. serp belt every couple years you can do yourself, water pump is a driveway job, honestly not THAT bad to work on. tuning potential is limited by what your wallet will let you achieve.

^^^ good points. I think the prosche maint. seemed alittle more scary then it could be… also could get a 45,000/3yr extended full warranty on it for 1,900$ hrmmmmmmmm should i think with my wallet the heart

One of the cons would be, all the domestic hating douche bags that park 5yo BMWs for a living will hate on it. You will not get a :tup: from Honda and Toyota drivers when you smoke them. Every tool box in a stock Evo, Sti or STR-4 is going to want to race you. You won’t get the “exclusivity” you would if you were driving something made in the UK a swapped E30 or anything right-hand drive.

that is a service contract and I would be interested in knowing who underwrites it.
For that price I would also question what is covered.

people always say what a bitch porsches are to maintain…maybe anything BEFORE 996…if you do any research, porsche was rated 3rd most reliable car manufacturer behind toyota and buick(???) back when they were new. 996 are fairly bulletproof.

Hey Wicked-

I have had the privilage to drive almost daily an 07 C6 Z06. My old man picked this up new and Ive been able to play around with the car many many times both on the street and track.

Further more, Ive also driven a solid amount of 911’s- never had one in the garage, but have had some seat time in a few. I should mention they were also a newer model then what your looking at.

The Z06 is amazing. Even in stock form it performs above and beyond a 911- Now the brand new turbo lol- thats a different story. But as far as a 2002 is concerend theres no comparison. I dont know what your plans are with the car, but no matter at the strip, through the twisties, or the street, the Z06 hands done will spank it- If you can drive.

I say if you can drive because it is a beast. After numerous hours in the car, Ive learned the feel of it. Ive seen guys with this car run high 12’s at the strip and could barely control the car after a hard shift into 2nd. Thankfully I was able to muster GM’s manufacture time in stock form of 11.7 @ 125. Theres no doubt the Z06 with a driver both on the street and the strip can out run an 02 911 turbo. From a dig he will get the jump but the vette will catch it.

Ive also been @ the road course and spun her out a few times after the apex:)- Make sure you experience that at a track and not down some twisty road on the street lol. Braking is very nice, although I would definitely improve them if your plan is to road race. Suspension is great from the factory- the car is very solid. And on the straights- well it would just pull lengths away from the 911.

However, like others have said the 911 has AWD which could make the car easier to pilot both at a track and on the street. Again, I dont know what your plans are.

If you get into modifying, well all it takes is money to go fast. I will say with a good chunck of $$, 911’s can be nasty. However for the average joe, if you can afford to put a little money in the Z06, you will have one sick puupy.

With just some American Racing headers, intake, and cam package from NewEra in Rochester, I was able to get the Z to run a 10.9 @ 131 mph on what I would say pretty worn out run flat tires with a 2.1 60ft and a very mild cam.

Sorry for the length of this, which Im sure people on here will jump on me for, but your making a major purchase and Im just giving you my experience after hundreds of hours in this car.

Oh BTW this statement of “it looks like a corvette” is BS. The car is sexy. No doubt about it. Yes its a corvette- but does it really matter if your kicking the 911’s ass all over the track- any kind of track for that matter? In all honesty both are nice looking, but IMO the corvette looks more modern then an 02 911. The 911 has proven time and time again that it is a great car. It drives amazing and has that solid german engineering: Its a classic. Lets face it. Servicing it- well I dont know the costs, but Im sure its less then most other exotics, but far more expensive then the vette.

Good luck! PM if you have any other questions.

Mike

The only con i can think of to the ZO6 is that…it’s still…“just a corvette.”

If i’m going to spend that kind of money, i’m going to want something different…sure the vette is faster, but honestly when are you going to need it to be that fast? The 996TT will be plenty fast for everybody’s daily driving needs, not like you’re planning on frequenting the drag strip in this car i’d assume.

Plus…a Porsche…the word has such sex appeal to it…VS. a GM…come on now…

Ignoring maintenance cost differences, i’d say Porsche all day, all the way…if you can afford the car, i assume you can afford the maintenance…

however…PLEASE god…if you buy a porsche…remember it has 2 syllabals…NOT ONE…its not a PORSH.

he never mentioned a 996tt he said between a 08 zo6 and a 02 911 turbo id deff go with the vette faster cheaper, all mighty lsx, trust me my cousin works at a forign repair shop theres 2 911,s there now that have been there for months because the owners dont have the $ to pay the repair bills

996 was the first water cooled 911. started in the late 90’s and ended in 2004.

so a 2002 911 turbo is a 996TT, unless he is buying a turboed C2 or C4.

Yeah, a 2002 911 turbo IS a 996TT, I didn’t really think that was confusing

http://www.holterlabs.com/Black-Z06.jpg
…cons not found.

ugh, winner ^

Why bother with a Z06, plenty of comparisons out there show that the Z51 is 99/100ths as fast as the Z06, and it costs a lot less.

Just food for thought.

Maybe around the track… but stock for stock 1/4 mile… z06 seems to always be quicker… ps, it looks far more aggressive/better IMO.

thanks a ton for that write up evomike. guess i just must pull the trigger on one since both have their awesome aspects.

question to ponder for the vette owner: is the life half over, or half started

http://www.davosnewbies.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/glass_half_full.jpg

I would get the Z06 it’s hot!!! Then you can go around beating Ferrari’s and Lambo’s and say to yourself… It’s just a vette.