Thinking about getting a Wrangler, opinions?

Im thinking about getting a new toy to mess around with. I was looking at spending ~$4000 on a new car and the Jeep Wrangler was the first thing that popped into my head. I like the way they look, I like how you can replace EVERYTHING on them if need be, and I like how purpose built they are. My questions are:

How are they on gas?
How reliable are they?
Are they decent in the snow?
What should I know/look out for on these?

Opinons on this prurchase? Good/Bad?

Are you into off-roading?

As of right now no. I drive a car and cant really go off roading with it. However, I do love the Idea of going off roading. I have never actually “offically” gone out and done it but if I Had a Wrangler, I wouldnt think twice about doing it. I like how rugged they are and it doesnt really matter if you get scratches on it. How reliable are Wranglers?

my friend had one and it was really pretty reliable… but when it broke, big stuff broke on it. master cylender, ect… the car fuckign ruled other than that. he bought it with a lift kit on it, and huge fuckign tires. i had a lot of fun in that jeep. those i6’s run for fuckign ever, and sound badass.

buy one. i’ve always wanted one.

ran my 94 wrangler without oil for 2 months…all that need replacing was the…starter!

ive had my jeep ~2 years now, its better in the snow than anything else ive ever seen on the road. gas mileage SUCKS, overall pretty reliable. yeah sometimes shit breaks, but everything is so accessable its easy to work on. if youre looking for a used one, look for obvious maintenence things (changed fluids including the differentials and transfercase and tranny) and wranglers have a history of cracking the stock exhaust manifolds. youll have a hard time finding one that has been babied, but theyre usually well cared for regardless. BTW dont expect to get much for $4k, they hold their value pretty well so one in great shape is usually ~$6k. if youre really interested i can keep my eyes open for used ones on the local forums.

Wranglers are pretty good in snow, depending on the tires you have on them.

But in terms of roadhandling in snow… quattro > *

Overall tho, once the snow gets past a certain height, nothing can outdo a Wrangler in snow.

i have a lot of opinions…but its a jeep thing… you wouldnt understand

on a serious note, i valet park, and everyone i have parked creeked and squeeled and rattles and felt like it was going to tip over and had a shitty clutch and just felt like the biggest pile of shit ever…they are my least favorite car available on earth.

Ya I was thinking about a Audi 90 if the wrangler thing doesnt go through. I want to have a decent DD and a Project car too. I was thinking about picking up a wrangler for the DD part and an E30 for the project car. I figure I have $7000 to split between 2 cars. So Im looking into spending $4500 for the DD and $2500 for the Project car. What else do you suggest getting? I like snowboarding so I want something that I can throw my board in and go. And I also like mountain bikeing so being able to throw my bike on and go is also a must BTW: how bad is the gas mileage on the Wrangler?

my hubbys TJ gets pretty decent gas mileage… its nothing to write home about, but its not terrible either… tires make a big difference. he gets better mileage with street tires as opposed to his big offroad meats… his is standard as well, shifting feels sloppy and i hate the gearing but hey, its a Jeep thing- thats why I bought an Xterra. If u wanna take a trip offroad we’ll take u along… ill play recovery when he gets his Heep stuck :wink: Dont think ur gonna get a wrangler and not mod it… u’ll get the mud-bug and be done for…next thing u know ur lifted 6inches combined on 34s and understanding why there are ‘drain holes’ in the floor of your Jeep.

Take one for a spin, draw your own conclusions about it. :slight_smile:

Ya I think im gonna go to a jeep dealership and testdrive one of them. Is there a big difference between say a 95 and a 00 in terms of how they are going to feel while driving? Obviously the 95 is going to be well used but for the most part, does the tranny, and everything minus the dash feel the same?

95 = totally diff suspension

One is a TJ one is a YJ

they both still ride like shit, but I like it :slight_smile:

This is coming from a guy who drives an s2000, which rides like complete ass also