thinking about joining VAG

so i was looking for some fuel efficient cars and i came across the MK4 jetta…it gets some really good gas mileage even for the vr6’s (29 hwy) so i was just curious as to get some opinions from current jetta owners…anything that gets better than the 15mpg i get now would be better in my eyes haha

It depends how many miles and condition of things.Id say dont do it,just my input

if your gonna get a jetta or golf, get a TDI

I had a 2001 Jetta and it was absolute junk. The car nickle and dimed me right up to the day I got rid of it. Stay away from MK 4 Jetta’s!

If your looking for a mk4 jetta a buddy of mine is selling his TDI for like 8gs lemme know ill get you info.

Blah, blah, blah Jason.

Dude, neither of my MK4’s ever did me wrong.
(I can’t say I returned the favor, but that’s another story)

I bought my black Jetta - 99.5 with 102k on it, did nothing but replace the plugs and wires and do regular oil changes. When I killed it, it had over 200k on it.
My red Jetta - 03 with 55k on it, only thing that ever went wrong was the coil packs (which is a common issue with the 1.8t) and I drove that thing for five years, it has just shy of 100k on it now.

I will say this, if you get one that’s a sketch ball, you’re fucked for life like Jason - I’ve owned two though and wouldn’t hesitate to buy another.

I think MKIV GLI’s look sick. I’ve always liked them.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3908/gli2.jpg

This.

Money.

I agree with Cossey and Nicole.

I’ve driven a few VW Jetta’s, Golf’s and Passat’s. I LOVE how they drive and feel. I wouldn’t mind getting a car like the one above one day. The last one I drove was a diesel Golf. Totally an awesome car.

The first time I drove a TDI it confused the shit out of me because I was so used to my 1.8t - the interior was almost identical and it was red as well, so it felt like being in my car but totally different feeling to drive. Bit of a mind fuck really.

a big + for
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3908/gli2.jpg

and Meena? You know my opinion on you buying a VAG, I’ve been hoping you’d join the ranks of german tank drivers soon.

The VW auto community is second to none.

For better or worse.

I’ve been looking at getting some VAG myself :ninja

MKII. Do it.

you should all just admit to being audi fanbois and just get one. dont torture yourself.

Oh, and back to the original question about gas mileage:
On the way down to H2Oi last year, I got about 37mpg on the way down.
Pretty heavy traffic, so I was doing about 65 - 70 most of the way, but that’ll give you an idea.
Granted this was in my 1.8t, but my VR6 didn’t get too far off from that.

I own a 2001 VW Jetta 1.8T. Had to do timing belt/waterpump/tstat and some other stuff but the car is awesome. It’s REALLY good in the snow too. Been my daily. I get 30MPG on the highway.

I am debating on selling it, PM me if your interested.

You had both 1.8t’s correct? I never heard of many issues with them. I know first hand from my Jetta, it was a total piece of shit and it was a VR6. Everyone i’ve talked to at German Auto Parts gave me the same feedback I was coming across; MK 4 Jetta VR6’s are nightmares. I’m certainly going to follow the advice given from my friends at GAP.

My car had just a little over 100k on it and started with stupid electrical issues. The first one being the door lock module. It will do stupid things to your car that will drive you absolutely insane;
the door chime won’t shut up, even when your driving. The car thinks a door is ajar.
the dome light will stay on, you can manually shut off. The car thinks a door is ajar.
Your keyless entry won’t work.

Power windows suck in these cars. Plan at some point of ownership replacing all window regulators before the car hits 100kmi. In my MK 3 I had to replace them all and in my MK 4 they had all been replaced too.

If you plan on buying a VR6, plan on changing the timing chains around the 100k mark too. It’s not the easiest job in the world either. It’s a pretty involved job so plan on leaving your entire weekend open.

On a side note, I love Volkswagens. If you maintain them, they’re awesome cars. In my personal opinnion they don’t make the best daily drivers because they can get costly to maintain, which is why I drive a Honda.

No, my black one was a VR6.

At the end of the day I don’t give a shit what this guy decides he wants to do. He wanted feedback. There’s always going to be a few people that like them and a few that don’t. I’m using my advice simply from my experience and from people who deal with Volkswagens all day long.