thinking supercharger....

k so ive looked around the net for info on superchargers for the spec, and its hard to find much info on it, although i did find some on other nissan forums… but i did find this site and they put a Borg Warner supercharger on it… the reason for a supercharger is: less maintence, way lower cost then a turbo, and i can get to 200whp, which is good enough for me.

so any more info is much appreciated. haha the reason im thinking supercharge ss because i just got some spare cash and i want to go faster… for cheaper.

i thought you wanted to sell it for an sti or something? why waste all this time and money on the car?

meh… for now ill be happy. as for the STI, i got a few yrs before i can afford that. so for the mean time i think that maby i can just get a supercharger, since there cheaper then a turbo. its practically a bolt on…

Do it, if you got the coin and wanna go faster go for it… Then maybe you’ll keep up or maybe even pull on me at the next FWD meet JK :smiley:

HAHA, well i got 1000$ to spend on it right now. im going to see how much i can get it for. i know they are cheaper then turbo kits, but so far ive only found a 4000$ american kit. thats still wayy to much for me. i know rev auto makes them but i dont hear good things about them.

maby ill have to wait till summer to get it, if there 4000$

I say do whatever makes you happy man! Who cares what anyone else says. When I was thinken about getting my turbo kit, everyone was telling me “My waste yer money on a car… it’s a terrible investment. Save for a house instead…” etc etc… I take nay sayers for a test burn and all they can say is “Holy shit that thing pulls!” I’m 20 yrs old… Now’s the best time to get my turboed vehicle so when I get older and have mortgage and wife and all sorts of other expenses I won’t be saying “Goddam I wish I had some fun with my money instead of being a cheap bastard and only saving for my future.” My futures a long ways away, I’m gonna have some fun while I can. That’s my .02 cents at least…

p.s. k03specv on thevboard was sayen something about releasing a SC kit here sometime. Maybe wait and see what he has in store? FI in the winter isn’t very fun anyways… lol. I’m waiten for spring/summer to go for anything more than minimum boost.

yah i read about him releasing some, but im also scared about that because hes not a store or anything. just some guy selling homemade SC’s so yah. im pretty much just at the learning / get info stage of the SC. not going to buy one for a bit if i do. but ya. im not going to let ppl say thats a waste of money, i dont care either. i basically want to know everything about it before i buy it.

i was talking to some guys at school, and they told me that a SC is the same as a turbo… like i can take a turbo and bolt it to where the SC is… is this true? because i can just build my own setup then w/ a turbo and intercooler and w/e else i need, and just buy all the mounting stuff. but that doesnt make sense because the turbo runs of the exhaust turbo and a SC runs from a belt so i dont see how it works?

There probably talking about Centrifugal superchargers (the non-exhaust side of a turbo on a shaft to a belt/pully setup) apposed to the worm/twin screw style.

examples of each is the following links:
Centrifugal ( http://www.rippmods.com/products/products_list_details.asp?menuid=3&productId=107 )
Its a tiburon but you get the idea, its a shaft with half a turbo on the end, Vortech does these.

Screw/Worm ( http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=STISUPR01&c=PE ) This style usually sits on top of the manifold and forces are through 2 screw/worm gears and then into your motor… Stillen been making these for 350z/g35 for a while.

Hope these clear your confusion up… a little.

I dunno much about superchargers… but as far as I can tell the supercharger runs off a belt that spins the supercharger… whereas a turbo uses exhaust gases to crank out the air… Thats why u have turbo spool cuz you need to get yer exhaust flowing well enuf to get the turbo spinning.

yah i understand how they work… but can i just take the upper turbo from a kit, and then instead of using the belt to connect to the other turbo, can i just get another belt and connect it to w/e the SC is usually connected to? then just get all the pipes for the intercooler and pipe to the intake? and buy a safc and w/e else i need! i assume if i build my own kit, ill save over 1000$. turbos are like what around 300…?

im looking for a centrifugal SC. they are small and fit in the corner easly. lots of good info on the howthingswork site. thanks man. i think im going to stop by some performance shops that install these, and ask them some questions. any ideas of where to go?

Here’s some turbo sites. The Street Heat 57 is the one I have. You may be able to find some cheaper ones. Who knows eh? You lots of time to figure it out.

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/turbospec-garretts.html
http://www.innovativeturbo.com/
http://www.innovativeturbo.com/pages/cart_itemListings.asp?catId=27

sweet man, im going to be all over those site once i get this stupid thermodynamics bs done.

200whp? Thats only 45 more hp… That doesn’t make sence.

that was on like 3 psi, i saw dyno sheets that ppl get 300 on some applications with better spark plugs and a new fuel pump and some mad tunning. if i get 100whp im happy, more then 10 bolt ons will make. and if i can do it for 2000$ then that will be sweet. i just need to learn how to build a kit and put it together so i dont blow a rod out the side of my block.

Please explain why you believe this. :?

less parts = less maintenance.
i know u dont just bolt it on and forget about it, you need to make sure there is oil in it and that the oil is clean, and the belt isnt cracked and bla bla bla. there is maintence but compared to a turbo, i think there is less. and easier to install.

“Installing a turbocharger requires extensive modification of the exhaust system, but superchargers can be bolted to the top or side of the engine. That makes them cheaper to install and easier to service and maintain.”

vid.

http://www.crystaleyeillusions.com/revautoSCse-rdivx.avi

Ok other than the waste gate (which is separate or built in) the turbo manifold the Super charger isn’t that different. You still need a proper method of managing the fuel and air, intercooler with piping and a decent exhaust. That still doesn’t include the other upgrades. Now Revolution Auto Works is the only company making a Supercharged Kit for the spec and you still will be looking at spending around $5000 to do this… I’m not saying supercharging wouldn’t be cool. But with any forum of Forced Induction for the spec they are all about the same price. The only one that is cheaper is parting on together by yourself. Unless you know what you are doing you will probably need someone to tune/program for you which isn’t cheap… whereas a full built kit usually comes ready to go. Just my .02 cents

p.s. the kit is $3995.95 USD = 4,730.81 CAD
303whp 260tq. @ 8psi
http://www.revolutionautoworks.net/supercharger.htm

gay… i dont have 4000$ haha, i figured if i can get all the parts like afc, intercooler, piping, SC, brackets and mounting, that i can figure out how to install it with some serious research. im going to call around and talk to some ppl about what exactly i need to get it working.

like i said, the biggest parts is the intercooler and SC and afc. and if i can just buy a centrifugal turbo for like 400$ and it will do the same thing. then a intercooler for say 500$ im already at 1000$ and i got the most expensive parts. piping isnt that much and a bov isnt to much. like i said i dont really know to much to comment until i ask some ppl who actually install these.

Extensive mods to the exhaust system for turbo? I dunno man… that was pretty well the easiest part… Manifold goes to header slot, turbo on top part of manifold, wastegate on bottom part of manifold, downpipe onot turbine wheel side. Rest of the exhaust just bolts up exactly same, hooking up to downpipe as opposed to header. The hardest part I found was doing the SAFC… Only because I was super paranoid and double/triple checked all my wires cuz I didn’t wanna screw anything up inside the ECU. Also we did have one pretty big hookup when it came time to hookup intercooler, only because the intercooler piping was meant for an 04, not an 02. But really, all in all it went fairly well.

Not sayen turbos are best or anything, cuz really I’m no expert on either… Just sayen if thats what holding you back turbo wise, that the exhaust seems hard to hookup, it’s not too bad. Maintenance wise, it’s pretty well just check yer hose clamps every once in awhile, and you gotta do oil changes and spark plugs changes more often. I’m just gonna use the SRT4 plugs, 15$ or something for 4 from any dodge dealer. Oil is alil pricier but eh, such is the beast of car performance.