cost to power: turbo vs supercharger

so I’ve already started getting some stuff together for when I go FI on the mustang (yes, I’ve decided to keep it afterall lol).

now, honestly… the turbo kits avalible for stangs are crazy expensive (7-9K range). Waaay out of my budget. Then I thought about piecing together a kit.

for the guys that have done this, what kind of price range am I looking at? I’d be doing all the labor and most of the fabrication work.

secondly, because of the displacement size, would it be hard to find a turbo that will flow enough volume at a good price?

My other option is just slap a blower onto it. I’ve been seeing some kits (specificly paxton and vortech) going for around 2-3K that should get me near the 360 whp/400tq range.

I’m not exactly sure what to expect from the turbo though. I guess there are alot of equations to take into account.

any feedback from the DIY turbo people would be awesome
-steve

u might want to talk to Boosted88GT i think he is still on teh otehr forum not this one…he knows alot turboed stangs…i am pretty sure his was…

if you are starting a cost to power thread, I will have to suggest that you do not leave nitrous out of it as well.

I think that unless you are going to go chasing the quarter mile on a regular, weekly basis, a centicharger or a small shot of the nawZ will do nicely. those turbo stangs are wicked quick, but there’s more going on there than just a turbo “kit.” if you can fab one up, cool.

keep in mind that when you start upgrading for big power, you’ll have to strengthen other parts of the vehicle as well. your stang is auto, how much power can it take before it starts affecting drivability/reliability? the driveshaft/u-joints, the diff? what about the rods, crank and pistons? mild boost won’t kill them, but if you ever want to crank it up some you may want to consider forged internals and a rebuild.

someone here said once, “take the amount you were going to spend on mods, multiply it by 2.5, and you should be close to what it actually costs.” very true words, those.

http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/

Turbo “kit’s” are a waste of money if You’ve got a little bit of time.

There are fox bodies running in 9’s (1/4 mile) for $10k.
There are SN95’s running 12’s (1/4mile) for $3k

:gotme:

http://turbokits.com/mustang_turbo_kits.html

turbokits under 5g

well… I’ve heard, even thought the stock internals suck, that the stock bottom ends can handle around 400 hp safely with a good dyno tune with a wideband. I’m not really looking for much more than that honestly. Nitrous I was thinking about, but I want the power to always be there when I want it.

I’ll check those links out… thanks for the help gents :tup:

ok, im sorry…but if your car is automatic, turbo is NOT the way to go on it. a turbo auto gets SIGNIFICANTLY less gains from a turbo if it isnt a race-tranny. IMO i would def. go with a nice vortech setup or nawz in your scenario

why is that? as long as I match my gears and torque convertor to the turbo I’m running… it should be ok I’d think

those are for the 302 :\ unfortunitly

you COULD do it, but you would have to make so many upgrades to your tranny to even match the abilities of the same setup on a manual stang. it would be extra money to spend. for cost reasons go s/c or nos

ahh, forgot about auto.

That’s a debatable point, but yea, I’d rather a You-Shift-It.

true… but also with the 4r70w trans (auto) being computer controlled, I can chage shift points and all the stuff within a tune. What else would I need? I already have the gears (4.10) so the TC would really be the only thing to upgrade, wouldnt it? That and a trans cooler.

pm sent.

GN seem to do alright with a automatic and a turbo.

sorry i just assumed fox body for some reason

I don’t think it’s so much about shift points…

Your stock stall probably wouldn’t even be spooling the turbo/turbos…

and can the internal parts of the tranny handle the added power and strain when you alter shiftpoints and such?

well the bottom line is,

set yourself a goal.

Stick with that goal

figure out how much money you want to spend

if the kit is 4K, figure you’ll need about 7-8K when everything is said and done.

You don’t seem like you want to make huge power, go with a SC, it’s easier.

I think it probably could (alot of guys on MD and the corral run FI setups on 4r70ws)… long as I keep it cool. cant be any worse than running a blower or nitrous

like I said, I was planning on picking up a higher stall TC reguardless of which way I go. I’m not looking for anymore than 400 whp as thats starting to push the rods and pistons to their limits

I was starting to think the same thing actually lol

Get a kenny bell.

Don’t worry about your internals… your not going crazy on the boost.

Go on Corral.net and read… you will learn infinitely more about mustangs and FI’d stangs than you will anywhere else. Those guys have seen, done, and broke it all.