cost to power: turbo vs supercharger

for a 400 whp max goal, look into a blower with spray. prolly a LOT easier for what You’re looking for.

you could get 400 to the wheels on a wet shot no prob I would bet.

Nitrous is a tq generator… tq on demand… whatever you want to call it, it will make you fast for cheap. just get a hook-up on fills.

bah… the kenne bells are crazy expensive IMO. can yield the same results with a centrifigul. If I was gonna build a strong short block that would deffinitly be the way to go though :tup:

yeah, I hit the corral a few times a week lol :smiley: ModularDepot > * though when it comes to the 4.6/5.4. MPH is pretty good too.

edit: yeah, I was thinking about nitrous too… only thing that would urk me though is constantly having to refill the bottle (unless I get 2, the big ones lol). The price makes it tempting but not sure if I want the power only part time lol. I’d be constantly hitting it with a big smile on my face

you can’t look at “new prices” … get everything used.

My A-Trim sold for 800 bux… to someone on the board… complete… ready to bolt on.

Will it get you 400 to the wheels? Nope. Will it get you closer? Hell yeah…

Don’t do it on a budget… the repairs alone on my budget 11s… cost more than my budget.

Ask people who have nitrous as their primary power adder… they don’t really complain about filling the bottle… cause their cars are redic slow… like a civic would be without the turbo. Its still decently quick for to and from work.

Why is a turbo not the way to go with an automatic? I think you speak from internet knowledge instead of real world knowledge and good hard facts. The engine will not gain less, the drivetrain lose might be more but the engine still makes the same power. Another fact a turbocharged automatic with a match convertor is a hard thing to beat. Think of it this way back in the day a performance magazine test the GM Grand National with the stock 200 automatic and they retrofitted the same car with a T5 I believe, and guess what the automatic was significantly faster. Reason being a manual tranny car goes from full boost to no boost between gear changes, resulting from the change in manifold vacuum that opens the BOV, then when you shift to the next gear there is that split second where the turbo comes back to full boost. Guess what happens on an automatic car, you tranny shift 1,2,3,4 for you and you don’t move your foot off of the accelerator so whatever boost you set is maintained from first to last gear or until you let up on the pedal. A Vortech would also be a good option but don’t say a turbocharger isn’t just because the car is automatic, that is just stupid. Nitrous is also a good option but you have to weigh the cost and how much nitrous you will go through. Nitrous is now $4.00 a lb and some places (won’t mention who but they are in Elma) are charging $6.25/lb. plus tax on top of that

budgets NEVER last anyhow.

plans tend to change midway and rape a budget in the process

my vortech has lag… lol but it made decent power. I was also speed density… so that never worked for me.

get a used kit, try it. Don’t like it? Sell it again.

very true… cant count the amount of times Ive changed my mind about the car. maybe a kit is the best way to go.

jack, I was looking at used S/C units, but dropping that much $$$ on a used blower doesnt set well with me. I guess it all depends on the deal I might get.

JnJ… agreed. Auto setups with the correct gearing and TC should be just fine :slight_smile:

ever consider heads/cam + spray?

you’ll avg 300+ on the street… and with the right cam… .that spray will net you well over 400. Its a larger initial investment, but you won’t be relying on the sprayt

hmmm… never really considered it. I’ve read good things about the VT cams :tup:. I think ported heads w/cams would probably put me right where I’d be with a supercharger in the long run though, price wise and performance (give or take)

steve heads/ cam are good combo’s, make great power but harder to install. centifical blowers are all technicaly bolt on. Either one is agreat chose when done correctly. I say get heads/cam and a blower.

h/c/blower would make 400… all the time. :tup:

$$$$ though

yeah… lots of $$$ lol

shit, for that much $$$ I’d be better off picking up a used 03/04 Cobra motor/trans and throwing it in the GT

the good thing, like we talked about at the cruise night, is that mustangs will always have the aftermarket. even if you decide down the road you don’t like what you’ve got, you can always shake it loose and someone will likely buy it.

plus, you’ve got choice in what hop-ups you want, there isn’t just one way to s/c a mustang, there are 18, from 26,000 manufacturers (you get the drift).

keep in mind it takes what it takes money and time-wise to get to your goal - don’t skinp out on important areas because it will “blow the budget.” better to blow the budget than blow the tranny or the engine IMO.

Not to mention many high horse power TURBO car on the NOPI National circuit (Supras, Civics, etc) are running various 3 spd automatic transmissions.

werd… if there’s one thing I like about the mustangs, it’s the aftermarket support the car has :tup:

I remember trying to modify the lincoln, which had lots of potential, but most Cobra parts had to be majorly modified to fit it (with some exceptions) and the people/companies that did make stuff specifically for the lincoln sold them expensive as hell.

:tup: great post. Plus you can brake boost:D

I remember trying to modify the lincoln, which had lots of potential, but most Cobra parts had to be majorly modified to fit it (with some exceptions) and the people/companies that did make stuff specifically for the lincoln sold them expensive as hell.

try it for a car that shared it’s drivetrain with no other car, was in production only 6 years and was obsoleted almost 4 years ago.

you forget about mods and concentrate on finding fucking gaskets, it’s nuts. and that’s not even a really bad example, there are cars so obscure I’d hate to blow relays on them.

can you imagine what corvair owners must have done before the aftermarket picked them up? holy macguyver mechanic.

either way, plan now and build around it, if you want 400HP, then plan accordingly. easy to do with a V8 stang. good luck steve-o :tup:

you can brake boost a manual car…

I hope he was trying to say “You can brake boost at a light, from a stop much easier than a manual can”