Anyone with exp in turboing mustang gts?

My friend wants to turbo his 2001 mustang gt but he is computer illiterate and i know nothing of mustangs so i figured i would ask you guys

first off this guy knows nothing of cars and only needs a moderate turbo system nothing to powerful

second he doesnt want to do it himself because he is a pussy. what is the cheapest way? buy the kit and take it to the performance shop or buy the pieces separate then take it there? i tried to tell him the benefits of DIY but again he is a pussy (although i dont know enough to answer him myself lol)

so if any of you have done this before and know prices or if any of you know a good performance shop in buffalo for this type of work, any feedback would be great the guy doesnt realy have a specific price range so average price is best

also the only mod on the engine is a CAI everything else is stock. thanks

i feel like i have soiled myself posting questions on how to improve the caugh:performance:caugh of a mustang :barf:

Tell him to get out his check book and bend over…probably not the best project to take to a speed shop and leave them a blank check

lol certainly not a cheap project… don’t they make kits for the mustang… if not… just Supercharge it THOSE HAVE TO BE much cheaper…

ok, first…This statement…

“first off this guy knows nothing of cars”

and wanting to turbo his car do NOT go together. I suggest he take it in steps, and do some other upgrades first. Get use to the added power in small increments.

Also, a HUGE thing to take into consideration…making anything over 400rwhp on a mod motor is a ticking time bomb. so if he plans on hitting that mark, or higher, (which is very easy with a turbo) be prepared to dish out the cash on forged internals. The stock junk is just that…junk.

Now, if he is hard up on getting a turbo, do NOT DIY one on this car. buy a quality kit. Expect to pay around $5k for the kit, plus all the other expenses added into the equation for other necessary upgrades. NOT cheap by any means. Do it any other way and you will regret it later otherwise.

Going with a supercharger is a much cheaper alternative. But still, not really that cheap.

Oh, and buying the turbo kit, plus everything else, and having a shop do the work for you = $10k+

yeah, he is kind of a douche and just likes the idea of have a turbo mustang but he asked and i figured it wouldnt be to much trouble to ask around i told him it would be around
5k for a good kit but again i have no idea how much he is looking at spending at a shop to get it done. all in all he has the cash and would have no problem dropping money at a shop if something went wrong with the car after the mod.

TRUST me on this one…with a mod motor, do it right, and do it all the FIRST time. do NOT cheap out.

Im not even gonna post up on this subject …

It’s like shootin fish in a barrel

just poo charge it and be done,

Hope he is willing to spend $10000 or more

if he knows nothing about cars then he needs to have someone else do the work if he is really hell bent on doing this.

Expect to pay over $10k to have a reputable shop do it.

Anyone that wants to learn about it tho, absolutely great reference site: http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php

yeah thats why i was askin for him. i am planning an ls1 turbo set but we are gonna try and diy all of it but like i said he isnt very car savvy and just wants to have the benefeits of driving a fast car without doin the work

by the way. i told him the price today. advised him to supercharge it and he said “fuck it. i will just get a rocket” so he can go fuck himself lol

Please, please do not let this moron drive around in anything more powerful than a stock mustang.

just super charge it, if you turbo i dont think you can run much past 5psi on V8’s safely without engine work cuz of high compression… and SC will be a lot cheaper

rofl
talking to him is like :deadhorse:

High compression? I believe 4.6s are around 9:1 which is ideal for boost. The compression isn’t the problem, its the garbage hypereutectic pistons.

sell car, go on mustang forum and buy turbo mustang.

Forged pistons, rods, camshafts and a Procharger kit… enough said

forged camshafts? sweeeeet!

… he was also talking about boosting a LS1 But thank you

How about turbomustangs.com? They might have some info for you.