This is not the DROID you are looking for.......move along

The WebOS development scene has BLOWN up since Palm released their SDK. In the 5 months it’s been out (the phone, not the SDK - the SDK has been out like 3 months)…there are 282 Homebrew Apps (apps NOT in the catalog), 500+ phone themes (which completely change the look of the OS), like 100 tweaks/hacks (haptic feedback, onscreen keyboard, etc.) and 257 apps in the official catalog (some of which are also in the Homebrew section - slightly different versions or provide more functions because they are not free). There is plenty of development backing for this phone and I’m sure the Droids will have a similar result.

And as far as customers, it’s because half the population that owns iPhones doesn’t even know there is other phones just like it out there. Their friend has one and it’s better than their basic flip phone, so they get it. It’s fanboism at its finest. I gave credit where credit is due. The iDont is a good phone, but it’s not the best option out there. There is a bunch of phones that do exactly what it does, some even better in some regards (like the Pre, with it’s card functionality). When people see my phone, many of them go, “What is THAT!?” and when they see the cards, image quality, etc. they are blown away. And so they should be. Are some parts of the iDont better than any other phone? Sure. Are some parts of the Pre better than any other phone? Sure. But the iDont is DEFINITELY not the GOD of all phones. Absolutely, positively, it is not.

By the way, I love the iDont monicker lol. Nice marketing.

Thats blown up? Android has been out for a year on a subpar platform on a subpar network, G1 on T-Mobile, and has over 10,000 applications on the market. Not to mention the fact that development for Android has almost doubled(risen 94%) in the past two months due to announcements of the new Android phones coming out. Not even close to the 100K of Iphone but way more than Palm

All those have been out much longer than the Pre bro. A year is a big difference. Especially the iPhone, which had a bunch of years jump on everyone else.

You’re missing the point of my argument (this isn’t iPhone vs Pre, its iPhone vs other ‘smart’ phones) so let me reiterate it for you:

The iPhone is NOT King anymore. Many phones do what it does and sometimes even do it way better. The end.

Edit: And yes, that is BLOWN up. Why? Because in the months the SDK wasn’t available, we had like 10 apps (for 2 months). Since then it’s BLOWN up. Does it have 10,000 apps? No. That’s not what I’m getting at. Don’t compare an app catalog that’s been out a yr+ to one that’s been out for 3 months.

Got to check out this hands on demo… :excited:excited

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/m...irst-hands-on/

Good link, thank you! Haven’t been on ENGadget in a long time, time to lurk :ninja

If you don’t have don’t want AT&T or the iPhone already Droid seems like a no brainer.

I’m waiting for one to come out for AT&T so I can use the power of the SIM card to my full advantage :number1

oh stop, there are NO good apps for the pre. The only one that looked good was trapster and it doens’t work at all on the pre.

I say we have an Official Shift518 PHONE OFF! :ahh

I can’t. I’m heading out and I won’t be able to post from my pre because it died already this morning (yes I charged it overnight)

Lets see:

MyTether
NoDoze
Themes
CompanionLink
FlashLight
Internalz
Checkbook
FlightView

That’s a bunch that I use daily for work/business and they work excellent. I agree, the App Catalog ones kinda suck…but if you are a techie there is a LOT of programs that are ‘homebrewed’ that are quite awesome.

And again, the SDK has been out for like 3 months, compared to the iPhone and Droid which have been out a LOT longer.

Something is wrong with your phone man. Just go get it replaced instead of bashing it. You think the iPhone is perfect or something? Hardly. I’m sure they’ve had to exchange more than one of their phones. My phone almost NEVER gets below 40% battery and it’s CONSTANTLY roaming at work (I work in the basement level of my company - Office Space style).

it seems pretty cool. the camera is kinda shitty, but the phone itself seems pretty decent. I am definitely excited about using one when they come out. But the question still remains can it be or is it better than the iPhone…

I’m on my 3rd phone and the speaker is already dead on it.

and your app list, flashlight? your joking right?, flightview? I’ll use that one on a daily basis. checkbook, AWESOME.

You’re a little close minded about the iPhone.

At the moment you’re like an old domestic owner, who as soon as he hears anything that has any relation to “import”, even if it’s a 2000whp Supra, he will just say it’s junk automatically because of his utterly bias.

iPhone is not garbage, or junk, or useless or iCant. It’s an extremely successful piece of technology which comes in an incredibly intuitive package perfect for a casual user.

Is it the best? Maybe, maybe not. Is it perfect? By far not. Is there competition? - of course. So why don’t we discuss on ACTUAL points why or why not some other phones may be better.

iPhone>pre…

Plain and simple

oh btw… one of my biggest quirks abotu the pre… is the keyboard is utterly useless… way to small, close together and to much force in the buttons themselves…

The Pre would be a good phone if its ad campaign did have the creepy ugly bitch in it. Seriously FUCKING DON’T STARE AT ME LIKE THAT YOU CREEPY GINGER BITCH

http://c-say.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/PalmPreGirl.jpg

Is pre essentially a palm? I had a Verizon palm where full keyboard was directly below the small screen and it had Windows PDA essentially software.

I hated it.

Yea the Pre is a palm device using WebOS which is supposed to be this AWESOME NEW OS…

When in fact its nothign new and special its just pretty and looks different…

still does the same thing a android or iphone does but less efficient IMO…

They just need to do some major work on optimization and the pre will haev a lot more potential

so we all agree… FUCK THE PRE… hey it could be worse though it could be a krave

LMAO!

See bold.

I’ve been saying that in the thread. I give credit to the iPhone for being a good phone, but like you, I can’t stand people making the Palm Pre and droid looking like it’s a POS compared to the iPhone. It’s NOT. The iPhone, while a great phone, is NO LONGER ALONE IN THAT REGARD.

It’s apps I use. My point is it has what you want. Do you even know what homebrew is? Have you been on that site? Doesn’t sound like it. The App catalog sucks. Here’s the link: http://forums.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/

Yet I am on the my original phone and have NONE of the issues you list. Interesting. Maybe it’s the user (don’t know how to take care of the phone? Have you dropped it? Been in water?)

My phone has ZERO issues, no lag issues, etc. Why don’t you research ‘homebrew’ and get the tweaks before you talk out of your ass.