thoughts/ ideas / help on removing caliper bolts

car is a 2003 acura rsx. The car needs front brakes so I went out and bought some rotors, pads, and new calipers. The car it self only has around 50,000 miles on it so I had a feeling they were going to be the original brakes. So as I thought … they were. Rotor screws were stripped and rusted so I drilled them out and then proceeded to the 2 rear caliper bolts. They looked pretty rusty so i pb blasted them and let them sit then lightly tapped them with a hammer to loosen them. First I tried to loosen the upper bolt. thing would not budge no matter how hard i tried, ended up splitting a 17 mill socket in half.

So I left it alone and figured Id go back to the upper one after I removed the lower one, so I gave that one a try. Same exact thing happens as the upper. thing would not budge ive never dealt like anything like this on any of the other 14 cars ive owned.ive broke a wrench and two wrench heads on this allready.

IM not sure what else to do im not gonna take it to a shop and be like hey removed these bolts and then have them do such a simple thing as brakes.

idea?

Just take em to a shop and have the bolts broken loose. Pat (psychopjv) broke mine on my subaru loose for me. He was doing some other shit so I’m not sure what he charged me, but either way he’s got an impact wrench and I didnt.

Breaker bar?

Honda techs use impact screw drivers for the rotor screws

If you are replacing the calipers why not heat up the caliper bolts, tighten then loosen and repeat. Just be careful to not heat up the bearings/grease too much.

thats what I was thinkin maybe

tried it, it already snapped two sockets in half. btw i still wanna get that muffler from you if u still have it man i just gotta sort this issued out then get someone to weld the muffler on for me

I would have but I have no power tools/ torches to do that

home depot sells protable torches that would work.

http://evergreen-rentals.com/images/Screwdriver%20Impact.jpg
^impact screw driver (just a random google image), all it does is put a shock load on the screws to break them free, not sure where you can find the tool local.

Propane setup
http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-turbo-burner-91894.html

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-202044700/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Propane might not get hot enough, you might be best using mapp gas…

hm any idea on how much they are?

Everyone should own an impact screwdriver. But for the caliper bolts you should use heat and patience. Orrrrr just take it to Pat cause he is the man and im sure would not charge too much.

You can get a torch for like $25 bucks. Heat the piss out of it. I’d open the bleeder screw so that you don’t over pressure anything and make shit 'splode in your face. I don’t know if that’s necessary or not, but it’s what I’d do for piece of mind.

^+1

Go to Valu and get a small propane bottle, the ones for portable grills, and a torch tip. You won’t need to worry about the fluid getting hot. The bolts will attach to the Bracket. You will only need to heat the Bracket holes. Just heat the threaded hole area to expand the hole.

I was able to just break the bolt(15) at the slide(18) w/ impact socket and really long breaker bar, after i pulled the caliper I then the just slid out the slide with the thread of the bolt in it, carquest had a set of slides and bolts in stock for 7 bucks
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/diagrams/small/front-brake-02-03-463699.png
hope this is what you are refering to

What kinds of sockets are you using? Back when I autocrossed that Fiero I’d have to breaker bar loose bolts that I’m sure were far more rusted than anything on your 2003 and I’ve never split one of my Craftsman sockets. This includes using a 2 foot breaker bar with a 3 foot pipe that had to put all my weight on and actually bounce to get it to break loose. When that let go it sounded like a gun went off, but the socket was fine.

Air tools are nice and a huge time saver, but I’ve never met a bolt I couldn’t get out with my basic 250 piece Craftsman set and some breaker bars/pipes/heat.

EDIT:
MAPP > Propane when it comes to heating bolts. Propane you might as well just pour hot water on it.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhu/R-202044701/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
+

= bolt heating awesome.

You can get that trigger torch local too because I know I got mine at lowes.

Mapp torch is what’s up for sure.

And you’re probably using cheap sockets if they’re breaking.

I was gonna suggest getting some impact sockets

Those fuckers definitely won’t break easily

advance auto sells an impact screw driver. i think its 20 bucks.

why not undue the line and loosen/remove the bracket retaining bolts, slide the whole assemb off and take it somewhere to get the caliper bolts off
i have torches in my garage at home if your in willyville/clar area

That was free honey!!!

ill see if i can get one. they were craftsmens which arent terrible but they weren’t snap ons or anything

the rotor screws arent my big issue its getting the caliper bolts off the hub, ive already drilled out the driver side screws.

thats what I meant that I cant get off the caliper bracket retaining bolts off and im afraid to try and torch them. Also they are on my car that is my only way of transportation lol.

wanna hook a brother up??lol

Try a 6 point socket over a 12 point I find them to be stronger.

Use a 1/2" drive socket & a 6 point and you should be fine. When applying pressure be sure to hold the socket square on the bolt, because if it starts to twist off at an angel that will cause stripping and socket failure as well.

I’ve only used hand tools when working on cars, and I’ve done just about anything you can to a car with out too many problems.