Thoughts on the Auto Show

I finally got to the auto show today… and even though I’m such a rice burner fan, the cars I was most impressed with were the American cars. Most of the Japanese offerings were just reissues of last year’s models.

The beautiful Pontiac Solstice (and its slightly less beautiful twin, the Saturn Sky) were definitely the cars I was most excited about. Two-seat roadsters with RWD, solid engines, optional limited-slip differentials, and unique styling. GM is definitely impressing the fuck out of me.

The Lotus Elise was as perfect as always.

The Buick LaCrosse might be a boring-ass family car, but it’s one of the nicest boring-ass family cars I’ve ever seen. The best example of this was looking at it, looking at the LeSabre, and then back at the LaCrosse.

Call me crazy, but (instrument cluster aside) I still like the Ion Redline better than the Cobalt SS.

Subaru Tribeca aside, there wasn’t a single new Japanese car I was impressed with. The Honda Ridgeline is more homosexual than a John Waters film festival in San Francisco. I cared about the new Eclipse about as much as I care about the current Eclipse. I like Suzuki’s new line-up of cars, but I don’t really fit in a Reno…(and I’m 6’0" 180lb…I’m not exactly gargantuan).

As for German cars? The new Jetta looks like a Corolla with a chrome grille. The A3 looks cool. I’m a little disappointed we don’t have a 1-/2- series yet.

I thought the Elise was gay…

i liked the huge ram with the Wench, the white Legacy GT, and the new RL of course.

If that elise is already on the market, thiers a black one floating around on rt 65 sometimes.I dont know Elise’s model years so i’m just assuming its a brand new one

Looks kinda :greddy2: but would hand me my ass in a heartbeat no doubt…

x2 nice interior

not in a straight line but then again that’s not what it was made for.

they’re faster in a straight line than they look…

like, 4 sec 0-60 fast.

i went last night
i liked the cobalt ss
and the saturn ion redline(same basic car almost)
and the syclone was perfect—ooops-not new!!!

we’re not talking 12s quarter times here…or even low 13s quarter, part of 0-60 is gearing/weight that doesn’t mean that at 4s 0-60 it’s gonna run a low 12s quarter

Elise: 13.2@ 104 from Car and Driver
Seems like low 13s to me

wow the 60’ on that thing must be rediculous

:rofl: then i will hunt it down next time and maybe embarress myself :dunno:

After we saw the one at the show, and the price tag, I tried to figure out a way to buy one. :hs: The redline, not the SS. The SS is nice, except for the 1 X 3 foot trunk opening. Big ass trunk, very small opening to put shit in. Too bad no dealership in their right mind will give me the $5,300 I still owe on my car.

Yeah the ION wasnt that bad. but i still liked that huge ram with the Wench

I like the SS i thought it was nice and roomy in the interior…i liked how htings where set up!!! I loved the 05 GTO…i wish i could afforaid one but oh well!!! I thought the seats were very comfortable and idk…like how it was set up in the interior!!!

GF loved seeing the DB9 and the Vanguish S…those cars where awsome!!!

I went on saturday and basically just wanted to compare the interior of the Ford 500 to the new Altima. I am definately sold on the Altima. Now I have to go drive the both of them and see, but I know the Altima is better as far as performance goes.

The new H3 is fucking stupid
the new line of compacts (cobalt, ion, etc…) are fucking ugly as sin - IMO
if you want a descent minivan you need to drop ~$40K to get one - :greddy:
the suv’s other than the full size ones for $50K+ have less storage room than my current altima’s trunk
The exotics like Aston Martin and Porsche are just awesome. it’s just a shame those cars are twice as much as my house. :suckstobepoor: :slight_smile:

all in all, i’m very unimpressed with the new cars and trucks

What about that Chevy concept truck. the guy told me the body was Clay… and it has an enstimated value of $3.5 million

he also said ONE guy from Gm is allowed to drive it, he fly’s to shows, drives it off the truck and sets it up, flys home, flys back, drives it back on the truck and then flys home again…

What a job

I really liked the Cobalt SS…I sat in it for a while…Jenn is right, that thing had a HUGE ass trunk :slight_smile:

yeah but you would be luck to fit a back pack through the opening to utilize that space.

Anyways, here is some of our pcitures. The rest of them should be up tomarrow night once Jeff gets me the pictures off his camera.

http://www.newdawncustoms.com/pias05/pias2005-1.htm

PS - the lighting reall sucked due to each of the “special cars” or newer cars having their own lighting stands it played hell on the pictures. Some of the cars I took 4 or 5 pictures from different angels and had to select the best ones out of those. And that was between people walking in front of me.

Personally, i loved the vette and the GTO… but i’m very partial to american muscle also… I didn’t care for the Stang GT tho… most ppl i talk to loved it, but i’m very unsure about whether i’d want it… the interior is enought to make me not wanna get it. I also wasn’t impressed with the feel of the STi or the Evo… the Z4 was incredibly comfortable… also I have always really liked the CTS-V… I’d love to take one for a ride and see how that incredibly powerful engine feels in a caddy… I really loved the look of the Hemi Ram they had there… i didnt catch any specifics, but it was the one that sat kinda low with big SRT-10 wheels… o and one last thing… i thought the 6 litre TT Bentley was kinda cute … big car, but still nice…

overall, i’m not real impressed with the new cars coming out… the only new car i’m absolutely in love with is the vette (oh and the aston martin)… i downright hate the solstice… I’ve actually never been a huge fan of the GTO’s look either, but it’s really grown on me…

http://img56.exs.cx/img56/1995/poto02953xo.jpg
http://img27.exs.cx/img27/6263/poto02908mu.jpg
http://img27.exs.cx/img27/1107/poto02935zh.jpg
^ Check out that dudes expression
http://img27.exs.cx/img27/7616/poto03004eh.jpg
http://img27.exs.cx/img27/3081/poto02919jn.jpg

That right there was the most impressive car to me.

I liked the show, the Jeep green thing concept was nasty and I hated the one van that Dodge had, it looked so out of place.

I took 330 pictures though, I got more than a few cars in :embarassd