throttle body before a turbo?

just kicking the idea around since it would make packaging easier on a project car. This would also eliminate the need for the BOV.

thoughts?

wat?

??? lol

what is so hard to understand. packing the engine in the car is tight,moving the throttle body from the intake would free up valuable space. putting in on the intake side of the turbo would eliminate the need for a BOV. Can a turbo withstand the high vaccume it will creat when lifting the throttle?

Your first post made absoluteely no sense. From your thread title I thought you meant you wanted to get a different throttle body before you turbo’d it, not relocate it.

The only problem with draw-through systems is the engine has worse throttle response and more lag.

Yeah, save some space in the engine bay by locating the turbo there and any space savings would be mitigated by having about a bazillion feet of piping snaked in the engine bay.

Thoughts is it sucks. Early 2.2 dodge’s have it this design look it up. Suck through design instead of blow through. The omni had this and it was horrifically laggy compared to the shadow i owned.

was that because it had a beat up turbo or just the design of it?

The design of it makes it rather laggy. Mostly due to the distance from the intake, and also because the turbo will now be obstructing flow after it. But it can and has been done.

design. turbo wasn’t beat up. turbo was a fresh one. either way a turbo with a compressor wheel the size of a quarter should spoool instantly. not so much on that piece.

thoughts?

If this is this a MAF car - Wheres the MAF going? If its MAP, not as big of a deal.

Is this car intercooled?

As is, I would expect lag to increase

BOV’s arent rocket science, they even come with instructions

dont try to be mr. innovative

QFT. Both the Omni nad my Daytona have this design and the lag is horrible. Stick to a blow-through set-up

i think thw only way it would work is if the intake plenum was by design of the car at the front of the car. This way, there would be minimal piping because it would all be contained directly at the front of the bay.

Like having the turbo remote mounted to the front of the bay near the intake manifold, mount the throttlebdy directly to the inlet of the comperssor, then a MAF and filter if its a MAF car. Then short piping to the IC and back out the other side of the IC to the intake ports.

does tah make sense?

see, I wouldn’t suggest running the MAF in front of the turbo, especially before the IC. Density change will fuck up alot of things.

Carnut could go into more detail than I feel like at the moment, but any restriction to the inlet of the turbo causes HUGE decreases in efficiency.

This is 100% incorrect.

It depends a lot on terminology, if you are referring to an AFM (Air flow meter) like a flap style or karman-vortex, then yes.

But a hotwire MAF (MASS AIR FLOW) sensor detects the mass of the air. It is independent of density. This is why MAF sensor cars work at any altitude without the aid of a MAP sensor, so long as it’s within the range of the maf. Obviously if you are flowing more lb/hr of air than the sensor can detect, it will not work…

I had the maf on my maxima right before the throttle body. I had the mafs on my 240 right before the turbo. Never had to adjust for anything.

another valid point. Imagine part throttle flow, lol.

And I imagine that when yo come off the throttle, completly blocking the airflow infront of the turbo would not make for a happy turbo.

^ wow, i totally forgot to consider that. but the draw-through vs. blow through maf argument:

I have mine personally set up in blow through, but SCT actually recommends it in draw-through because it is easier to tune and delivers a smoother more driveable tune so they say. Its pretty rare to see blow through in the focus world…too many guys are afraid to tackle tuning it that way. partly why i have had so much trouble getting the tune where i want it.

this is called PUMP CAVITATION

the maf should read the same voltage on either side of the compressor, but depending on the proximity to the throttlebody, you can develop pressure waves traveling in the opposite direction of the airflow which will disrupt the reading.

really? I’m not delving deep into it here, but I would assume its almost bass-ackawrds to put the meter infront of the turbo & IC.

I’ve never done it with a MAF, only with VAMs (think trap door & spring)… and draw through fucking sucked in every way by comparison to blowthrough. Especially once a front mount was introduced.